Jack Abraham

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: Jack Abraham

Post by GretnaGrn »

LawGreenie wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:55 pm Back when I was in law school, the ABA and Tulane had rules restricting how much you could work during your 1L year. I think those have been relaxed, but not sure how D1 practice schedule and travel would be viewed .
Participation in D1 athletics is legally not "work." Otherwise, all sorts of labor laws would apply.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

GretnaGrn wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:32 pm
LawGreenie wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:55 pm Back when I was in law school, the ABA and Tulane had rules restricting how much you could work during your 1L year. I think those have been relaxed, but not sure how D1 practice schedule and travel would be viewed .
Participation in D1 athletics is legally not "work." Otherwise, all sorts of labor laws would apply.
Part of why they stress the whole "student athlete" thing
STOP BUNTING gaddammit!!
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

curious how many more pages could be added to the thread just from you lawyers bantering back and forth.. maybe you can stretch the debate into the realm of "guy jumps off a building but gets shot on the way down" argument?

Only then could this reach HWSNBN level

well, maybe.. he's in school working on his MBA, but doing his law program online..... (this is just a stupid example for the lawyers to start their debate)
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I have always found the grad athelete kinda "sus" as the kids say. In undergrad cruise contol to a degree while playing sports is the norm. I am not sure cruise control in grad school is an option in a lot of programs.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Actually grads do have it easy if they choose. In just he last week a few ND players returning for a grad year have openly talked about how they will only be taking two courses so they'll be in school for what they want- to enhance their NFL stock.
We deserve so much better
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

wavedom wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:19 pm Actually grads do have it easy if they choose. In just he last week a few ND players returning for a grad year have openly talked about how they will only be taking two courses so they'll be in school for what they want- to enhance their NFL stock.
You are right, hence the "sus" as them actually being grad students, and no offense to them. I did a full load of History grad school. The thought of reading 3-4+ plus books a week, writing, researching on the side, and fitting team meetings, workouts, and practice in is beyond me.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Poseidon wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:25 pm
wavedom wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:19 pm Actually grads do have it easy if they choose. In just he last week a few ND players returning for a grad year have openly talked about how they will only be taking two courses so they'll be in school for what they want- to enhance their NFL stock.
You are right, hence the "sus" as them actually being grad students, and no offense to them. I did a full load of History grad school. The thought of reading 3-4+ plus books a week, writing, researching on the side, and fitting team meetings, workouts, and practice in is beyond me.
Don't forget adding a teaching load.

FWIW, law school was VASTLY easier than grad school in history.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

GretnaGrn wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:24 pm

FWIW, law school was VASTLY easier than grad school in history.
While I think both degrees vary widely based on institution and approach, I think if you averaged it out, that would prove a consistent trend.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

My comment was whimsical while thinking George Gipp was like 26 when he died at ND after allegedly playing for a ton of schools. That scenario better not happen here. I enjoyed reading the insights of others above. Thanks.

My undertone is perhaps applauding Willie’s approach. Balance the now with a forty year decision. Both these guys are very bright. I wish them well. Football and academics are not mutually exclusive. Too bad each has chosen in effect to find glory as itinerant semi-pros and forego the academics on the football dime.

Meanwhile it’s all conjecture but too bad Scott didn’t listen to his better angel and come here either time when he had the chance. He was tailor made for Willie’s SHSU offense and would have thrived at Tulane. He still is the most effective highest classification HS QB I’ve ever seen play. To say he was spectacular in high school is an understatement.