Study reveals college football's biggest fan bases

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Study reveals college football's biggest fan bases

Post by OGSB »

Among their findings was that around 92 percent of college football fans follow Power Five schools, and that around half of fans cheer for the top 16 teams in the country.
AAC as a conference is 7th with 3.3 million.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... e44ad6ae42
Victory is never permanent
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: Study reveals college football's biggest fan bases

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I think there's a lot of truth to this study, but they also had Syracuse as one of their top brands so there's some questionable things too.
greenguy
Riptide Level

Post by greenguy »

LSU = 90% population of Louisiana; Alabama + Auburn = 150% population of Alabama. That's punching above your weight in the local market.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

greenguy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:26 pm Alabama + Auburn = 150% population of Alabama. That's punching above your weight in the local market.
I can't speak for Auburn per se, but I read a story about 5 years ago (when they were in the peak of their Saban dynasty) about how Alabama was using the football notoriety to expand their "school-side" marketing nationwide in an attempt to raise their academic profile. It seems like common sense that Tulane should take note of, but Alabama obviously is starting from way farther down academically than Tulane (meaning, I have to wonder if Tulane would even think that sports success would really increase their draw). Anyway, I have no stats to back anything up and it could be coincidence, but I definitely feel like I have seen more high schoolers around here heading off to Alabama for college than I had in the years prior to that - and the ones who are, don't seem like kids who'd be choosing the school due to football but rather because of the school doing more marketing and recruiting in places outside the deep South.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:53 am
greenguy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:26 pm Alabama + Auburn = 150% population of Alabama. That's punching above your weight in the local market.
I can't speak for Auburn per se, but I read a story about 5 years ago (when they were in the peak of their Saban dynasty) about how Alabama was using the football notoriety to expand their "school-side" marketing nationwide in an attempt to raise their academic profile. It seems like common sense that Tulane should take note of, but Alabama obviously is starting from way farther down academically than Tulane (meaning, I have to wonder if Tulane would even think that sports success would really increase their draw). Anyway, I have no stats to back anything up and it could be coincidence, but I definitely feel like I have seen more high schoolers around here heading off to Alabama for college than I had in the years prior to that - and the ones who are, don't seem like kids who'd be choosing the school due to football but rather because of the school doing more marketing and recruiting in places outside the deep South.
I have a friend who took a job at Alabama because they basically almost doubled starting salaries and heavily going after/poaching young scholars with books out that would have otherwise led them to get better jobs in just a few years. Alabama has become quite a good school in short time. One of the better state universities in the southeast. It still has room to move up, for sure, but it's lightyears ahead of where it was even a decade ago. And I'm only speaking of academics.

But be careful of pinning hopes/nightmares, because for a flagship university in the Southeast, it can all come and go from one legislature to another. People aren't going to like hearing it on this board, but there was a period (early 00's) when LSU's reputation was growing fast and the "buzz" on the street was it was going to get better and better. TOPS, more out of state recruiting, more spending to get faculty and projects, etc. It never got as high as Bama is now, but it was getting close. And then....... the bottom fell out. And LSU is probably a worse place now academically than it's been in decades and decades.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Funny, Prof... How was LSU football in the 00s? Coincidence? I think not.

If anything this should be proof to Tulane that good football is better for your school, not worse.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:17 pm Funny, Prof... How was LSU football in the 00s? Coincidence? I think not.

If anything this should be proof to Tulane that good football is better for your school, not worse.
Oh for sure. But I put the chance of Tulane seeing it that way at about .01%
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16