Saban responds to critics of Alabama’s schedule

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Saban responds to critics of Alabama’s schedule

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: Saban responds to critics of Alabama’s schedule

Post by tjtlja »

What he advocates would be devastating to a lot of non-P5 schools. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

He's not serious.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote:He's not serious.
What makes you think that? "I wish P5 only played P5" is just his way of saying what I think most P5 coaches feel, which is that they just want the P5 conferences to secede from the NCAA and have their own semi-pro league where they can have ALL the money.

I can totally believe that he can't get P5 teams to schedule Bama. P5 teams aren't desperate for payout games (they already have TV money) so they aren't going to stoop to a 1-game away deal to travel to Tuscaloosa. Plus those other P5 teams who maybe aren't as good do need to pad their schedules with some easy wins so they aren't scheduling Alabama. Alabama's certainly not going to take negative contracts (more away than home) either. Unless a TV network steps in and sets up a game, they probably do struggle to find any willing opponents.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

PeteRasche wrote:
What makes you think that? "I wish P5 only played P5" is just his way of saying what I think most P5 coaches feel, which is that they just want the P5 conferences to secede from the NCAA and have their own semi-pro league where they can have ALL the money.

I can totally believe that he can't get P5 teams to schedule Bama. P5 teams aren't desperate for payout games (they already have TV money) so they aren't going to stoop to a 1-game away deal to travel to Tuscaloosa. Plus those other P5 teams who maybe aren't as good do need to pad their schedules with some easy wins so they aren't scheduling Alabama. Alabama's certainly not going to take negative contracts (more away than home) either. Unless a TV network steps in and sets up a game, they probably do struggle to find any willing opponents.
That's the only way he is serious about it.

but even if P5 only played P5, I don't think they'd be willing to only play 6 home games. and other P5s aren't going to settle for 5 home games. so they're still going to have issues getting opponenets.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

They already have all the money. Taking what everyone outside the club gets wont make their boat payments. He's on top of the heap and he's complaining about a small criticism. If he can't figure out why he's miserable he certainly has no workable ideas to fix it.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

They just signed a big time home & home deal with The Badgers. Love to see more of this !!
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Yes, I think he is very serious. Have you ever seen Saban say anything that is not serious to him? If so, please cue us in.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Including "to him" is giving the game away. You admit what he says is not serious to an observer. He's just bitching like he always does when things don't go his way, like the off-season conversation about Alabama's relatively soft schedule.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

So you are saying he is serious. Your initial comment was he’s not serious.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

He is not serious, as he does not really believe in the solution he "proposes." He mentions the alternative as a way of shaming these other programs. Simply put, he's changing the subject when he doesn't like the question.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

LG is absolutely right. He is fundamentally not serious. To channel my inner Pete, $$$ solves anything. Either give OOC P5's home-and-homes or pay visiting P5 teams say four or five million dollars for one offs and they would be lined up at the gate of Bryant Denny Stadium. Pay six or seven million and the Browns would show up for an "exhibition." That would definitely boost Bama's "RPI or whatever it's called."

However to paraphrase the new LSU AD from yesterday, that's not how SEC athletic departments are run.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I certainly understand what you’ll are saying. But I do think the P5’s would love to separate if possible. I just hope it never comes to that.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tjtlja wrote:I certainly understand what you’ll are saying. But I do think the P5’s would love to separate if possible. I just hope it never comes to that.
The Blue Bloods of the P5 want to separate, but the majority P5s don't. They know it's a zero sum game. If P5s only played P5's then you would end up with a lot more P5's with losing records and more Rutgers types.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy