Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This SOB is at it again
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:29 am 
Regent's Circle

Cam Newton is one sad ass human being. His responses in the press conference after yesterday's game were a carbon copy of what happened after the Super Bowl. His is without question the most classless football player I have ever encountered. Hey Cam, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -to-saints

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:21 am 
Coach Level

Nice hat, too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:27 am 
Regent's Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote:
Cam Newton is one sad ass human being. His responses in the press conference after yesterday's game were a carbon copy of what happened after the Super Bowl. His is without question the most classless football player I have ever encountered. Hey Cam, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Fan since '54

Perhaps but he does have some competition in your newly created NFL Awards category. Also it helps sell jerseys and the personal endorsement income. Check out number 2 and number 14. Meanwhile number 1 doesn't exactly hide his light under a bushel either.

http://www.nflshop.com/pages/Top_Selling_Jerseys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:32 am 
Emerald Circle

Cam Newton is full of himself but he's hardly the most classless player anyone has ever encountered. He doesn't handle disappointment very well. Wow, what a revelation.

That entire team isn't handling the disappointment of losing the Super Bowl very well. What happened to that defense? Did not stepping up to pay Josh Norman have a bigger impact than just losing a good to very good cornerback?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:54 am 
Regent's Circle

LawGreenie wrote:
Nice hat, too.

I actually liked the hat... he's a petulant baby... I hope he has to pay out hundreds of thousands for his immature destruction of someone else's home after his Super Bowl loss.

Back when he was going into the draft, no team wanted the guy... then I believe it was Warren Moon who stepped in and recommended a PR coach to change his image... it ended up getting him drafted #1... but since then, the PR coach has been mailing it in.

long green wrote:
Cam Newton is full of himself but he's hardly the most classless player anyone has ever encountered. He doesn't handle disappointment very well. Wow, what a revelation.

That entire team isn't handling the disappointment of losing the Super Bowl very well. What happened to that defense? Did not stepping up to pay Josh Norman have a bigger impact than just losing a good to very good cornerback?

Two things... one, they replaced Norman with rookies and they waived the other guy (Benwickere) last week for probably mouthing off about being the only decent DB on the team.

Second, people don't realize how easy the Panthers had it last year. They played 4 teams that finished with .500 or better records: Seahawks, Packers, Redskins and Texans... when they played the Seahawks, Skins and Texans, all three teams were still trying to "find themselves" and were actually all under .500 when the games were played. Their only decent W was against Green Bay, and they nearly shat that game away (along with a couple of others they stole in OT). They nearly shat away a 28 point lead over Seattle in the playoffs. They JUST WEREN'T THAT GOOD last year. It was a perfect storm of an easy regular season schedule and two home games in the playoffs. If they had to travel to Seattle for the playoff game.. they would have lost.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:06 am 
Coach Level

That accounts for the difference between 15-1 and, say, 10-6.

Not 15-1 and terrible.

Of course, they went 7-8-1, then 15-1, and now wherever they end up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:10 am 
Emerald Circle

Wait a sec, going into the draft no one wanted Cam Newton? Not until he got a new PR guy? Come on, man. I can see a stodgy NFL front office not caring for the way he carries himself but no one wanted him until then? That's a wild overstatement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:24 am 
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:
Wait a sec, going into the draft no one wanted Cam Newton? Not until he got a new PR guy? Come on, man. I can see a stodgy NFL front office not caring for the way he carries himself but no one wanted him until then? That's a wild overstatement.

we're talking what, six years ago now? Best to my recollection, teams were shying away from the guy after the combine because of his attitude and then it was a complete 180 once he got the PR coach. Nobody wanting him was hyperbole, I admit, but he was moving himself down the draft board during the interview process until he cleaned up his act.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:14 pm 
Emerald Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54

THE most classless? But what about Kaepernick?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:03 pm 
President's Circle

Not classless, but immature, selfish and unprofessional. You want to celebrate every good (not great) play and then sulk at every bad play, this is what happens.

As well as what happens when you choose not to dive for a loose ball when the Super Bowl is still in doubt. Maybe his team lost confidence in him at that point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:02 pm 
President's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:

Perhaps but he does have some competition in your newly created NFL Awards category. Also it helps sell jerseys and the personal endorsement income. Check out number 2 and number 14. Meanwhile number 1 doesn't exactly hide his light under a bushel either.

I'm surprised by #3. You'd think anyone who wants one of those would already have one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:52 pm 
Regent's Circle

1) Off on a tangent. Does anyone here (other than greenaub) believe that Newton wasn't paid big bucks when he was still in college?
2) Okay I'll drop the classless tag in favor of sad ass human bieng.

FS'54

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:42 am 
President's Circle

Godfather wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

I'm surprised by #3. You'd think anyone who wants one of those would already have one.

I think because New England has a such a broad populace reach with little competition until you get down to my area, there's just plain numbers.

I'm surprised at #10 - really hokie to me, that #13 is not higher - knowing the fan base, I assumed HOF nomination is already conceded, and that #5 will soon be jumping off that bandwagon as his success was a bit premature.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:23 am 
Regent's Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote:
1) Off on a tangent. Does anyone here (other than greenaub) believe that Newton wasn't paid big bucks when he was still in college?
2) Okay I'll drop the classless tag in favor of sad ass human bieng.

FS'54

he was one hundred percent bought to play at Auburn.. but not through him, it was through his dad.. and they couldn't "prove" Cam was complicit in the shake down, which is why they reinstated him... why the NCAA never investigated Auburn's actual payment to Cecil Newton is still incredibly dubious. They sure as shinola turned EVERY STONE possible to shame and discredit Reggie Bush and USC... with Auburn it was "Oh we didn't pay him" and the NCAA was "K, thanks.. bye... congrats on your national championship"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:22 am 
Coach Level

doncecco wrote:
Godfather wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

I think because New England has a such a broad populace reach with little competition until you get down to my area, there's just plain numbers.

I'm surprised at #10 - really hokie to me, that #13 is not higher - knowing the fan base, I assumed HOF nomination is already conceded, and that #5 will soon be jumping off that bandwagon as his success was a bit premature.

The most surprising thing to me on that page was that the highest selling jersey in Georgia is Kaepernick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:29 am 
President's Circle

doncecco wrote:
Godfather wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Problem with Dak is that there are 3 other Cowboys on the list. And Mike Vick is hokie. Fan 12 is just hokey.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:47 am 
President's Circle

MattK wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Godfather wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

The most surprising thing to me on that page was that the highest selling jersey in Georgia is Kaepernick.

I agree with you. WTF, Matt Ryan not good enough for you? Probably the better explanation are the demographics of who purchases the jerseys.

I will say the Rodgers being #12 is a surprise also, but maybe can be explained that so many have already been purchased, say, 5 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:22 am 
Regent's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
I agree with you. WTF, Matt Ryan not good enough for you? Probably the better explanation are the demographics of who purchases the jerseys.

I will say the Rodgers being #12 is a surprise also, but maybe can be explained that so many have already been purchased, say, 5 years ago.

have you ever been to a Falcons game? when teams like New Orleans, Dallas and Pittsburgh come to town, they are home games for the visitors. Atlanta is populated by so many people from other places, there are no REAL Falcons fans.

Secondly, you are correct to mention the demographics of Atlanta in regards to race. I would wager that after the Rodney King decision, the second largest riots behind LA were in Atlanta.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:42 am 
President's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

have you ever been to a Falcons game? when teams like New Orleans, Dallas and Pittsburgh come to town, they are home games for the visitors. Atlanta is populated by so many people from other places, there are no REAL Falcons fans.

Secondly, you are correct to mention the demographics of Atlanta in regards to race. I would wager that after the Rodney King decision, the second largest riots behind LA were in Atlanta.

Used to split season tix with my neighbor--50 yd line behind the visitor's bench. The Dome is plenty loud and there are plenty of Falcons' fans now--since the success of 2009-2013. While there are probably of visitors' fans in the stands, the fanbase has grown substantially since you lived here JMac. ATL is a bandwagon town, but there are plenty of loud fans here. I remember several games when I walked out of the Dome having ringing in my ears for two days. You'd be surprised today.

That being said, the new stadium will be a corporate venue, the PSLs will be so expensive that only corps. will be able to afford the better seats. Which means the diehards will be squeezed into the nosebleeds and the attending fans will be less than rabid.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:59 am 
President's Circle

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... fake-noise

The Atlanta Falcons have been punished for pumping in crowd noise to their stadium.

The NFL fined the Falcons $350,000 and the franchise will forfeit their fifth-round selection in the 2016 NFL Draft, the league announced Monday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

wave-em in wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000482500/article/atlanta-falcons-lose-2016-pick-for-pumping-fake-noise

The Atlanta Falcons have been punished for pumping in crowd noise to their stadium.

The NFL fined the Falcons $350,000 and the franchise will forfeit their fifth-round selection in the 2016 NFL Draft, the league announced Monday.

Guess they won't be bringing those "loud fans" to the new stadium...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:14 pm 
Regent's Circle

wave-em in wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000482500/article/atlanta-falcons-lose-2016-pick-for-pumping-fake-noise

Roto, you could probably sue Arthur Blank to treat your tinnitus from those games

BTW, your lament about what's going to happen to Mercedes Benz stadium us why Turner Field was never full.. including playoff games... only corporate types could afford to go.. the general fan was relegated to the upper deck and got sick of paying $8 for a beer and $6 for a coke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:16 pm 
Cornerstone

Johnny Mac wrote:
...Atlanta is populated by so many people from other places, there are no REAL Falcons fans...
:?:
In contrast to the rabid love for the Redskins in DC. Go figure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 am 
Emerald Circle

Roller wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
...Atlanta is populated by so many people from other places, there are no REAL Falcons fans...
:?:
In contrast to the rabid love for the Redskins in DC. Go figure.

One of those franchises has won multiple Super Bowls and NFL championships...the other is 100 games under .500. Pretty easy to figure.