Former LSU lineman shot by a dog

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Former LSU lineman shot by a dog

Post by PeteRasche »

You read that right. Shot by a dog.

Not as funny as the headline, a freak accident, lost his leg and coded (technically dead).

https://sports.yahoo.com/lsu-tigers-lin ... 31672.html
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Former LSU lineman shot by a dog

Post by TUPF »

Yes, a tragedy but hardly an “accident”. I had to qualify on and carry sidearms, shotguns, an M-16, and grenade launchers as part of my watchstanding duties as a submarine officer, but c’mon. A fully loaded weapon laying in the back of a pickup truck: gee, what could go wrong? Anytime a round is in the chamber you have to treat the weapon like it’s radioactive. If you are going to operate deadly weapons, you also have to have a modicum of sense.
Last edited by TUPF on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

TUPF wrote:Yes, a tragedy but hardly an “accident”. I had to qualify on and carry sidearms, shotguns, an M-16, and grenade launchers as part of my watchstanding duties as a submarine officer, but c’mon. A fully loaded weapon laying in the back of a pickup truck: gee, what could go wrong? Anytime a round is in the chamber you have to treat the weapon like it’s radioactive. If you are going to operate deadly weapons, you also have to have a modicum of sense.
Seems like a case of too much reliance on a safety. It's a mechanical device that should be used, but not trusted. All mechanical devices fail eventually. With that in mind it always makes sense to unload your hunting implement when you are finished hunting and at your vehicle. It's very unfortunate, but entirely avoidable.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Presumably, it was a push-button safety, which projects outa one side of the gun or the other. I've always made it a point (as my dad taught me) to lay the gun down so the button would have to be pushed upward to take it off "safe." That way, if something should fall on it (or a dog step on it!) it will remain in the "safe" position.