WHO DAT NATION: AMAZING!

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Re: WHO DAT- Do you notice the Saints...

Unread post by Man in Green »

The Saints could very well have the best offense in NFL history. They have way too many weapons for any defense to handle. We saw today what they could do now that they have Moore and Bell and Thomas healthy at the same time. Key on Colston and Moore will eat you up. Cover those two and Shockey gets you. Cover those guys and Bush kills you. Oh and don't forget about the power running game. Wow what a team!

The only NFC team that worries me at this point is the Minnesota Favres. They need to lose a couple. I really don't want to face Favre again.

Right now I would rank them - 1. Saints, 2. Pats, 3. Colts, 4. Favres, 5. Giants
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

The Falcons will be tough. They are not the type of team that will wow you, but you know how they always seem to play their best against the Saints.

Before the season started, I said that the score at halftime of the Saints-Pats game will be 35-31 or along those lines. After yesterday, I think I may be short a few TDs.

Those 2 Monday night games are the biggest ones left on the schedule. Beat the Falcs and put them down at least 3 (2 + tiebreaker) and beat the Pats to end November, and the rest should fall into place for top seed in NFC.
Bring home da Wave!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

I'm afraid to say this, but this Saints team is really starting to remind me of our 1998 team (except without the QB draws!).
MNAlum
Coach Level

Unread post by MNAlum »

How is the O line doing this without the all pro left tackle? Amazing to shut out the Giants on the sack total.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

PeteRasche wrote:I don't think there are any excuses left. At this point, New Orleans has clearly shown itself to be the #1 team in the NFL. I don't know if anyone can stop their offense - the only team that might give them a little fight is Baltimore, and even they got scored upon by Green Bay today. The only team that might keep up with them is Indy, just because they may be able to score with them. But I think the Saints D is better than the Colts.

I'm surprised you guys haven't started a separate thread for this, since the Saints now clearly don't deserve to buried two pages below talk about the Jets! :D
Baltimore's defense is like the SEC--it's living off it's reputation. Their defense is NOT GOOD at all.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Godfather
President's Circle

Unread post by Godfather »

long green wrote:I'd like to know how many times have seven different players on the same team scored touchdowns.

Bell, Bush, Colston, Evans, Meachem, Moore, Shockey. That's balance.

The last question about the Saints offense got answered today with several exclamation points. That question was, "what happens when Lance Moore gets healthy?" Answer: it turns Colston loose in the other team's secondary. They have to keep it up, but this could be one of the best NFL offenses I've ever seen.
Wouldn't be too hard to find out. I'm sure there are only a few games a year with that many touchdowns so you'd just have to see who scored.
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

BTW, the Falcons lost one of their starting CB's for the season. They are in for one tremendous thrashing in 2 weeks.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

Godfather wrote:
Wouldn't be too hard to find out. I'm sure there are only a few games a year with that many touchdowns so you'd just have to see who scored.
Yeah, but there were 2 in one day yesterday. The incredible stat of the day is that the Titans gave up more touchdowns in a 9 minute span to Tom Brady Sunday than they did in the first 6 games they played last year.
Bring home da Wave!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Godfather wrote:
long green wrote:I'd like to know how many times have seven different players on the same team scored touchdowns.

Bell, Bush, Colston, Evans, Meachem, Moore, Shockey. That's balance.

The last question about the Saints offense got answered today with several exclamation points. That question was, "what happens when Lance Moore gets healthy?" Answer: it turns Colston loose in the other team's secondary. They have to keep it up, but this could be one of the best NFL offenses I've ever seen.
According to yesterday's TP, there have been 10 such instances...no time frame or specifics provided.
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TPSTulane »

Played bad and still won by 2 TD's today. 6-0 with Atlanta coming to town. Go Saints!
Tulane School of Business Class of 1981
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
Conference Realignment "is like changing seats on the Titanic."
Private Joker
Coach Level

Unread post by Private Joker »

Has a team in the last 50 years of the NFL ever done what the Saints have done in these first six games?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

I thought I was watching another Tulane game for the first 29+ minutes of the first half. Then the Saints converted a goal line play and order was restored to my world.
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Saints fever at an all-time high...........
http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2009/1 ... draws.html
Saints-Dolphins game outdraws Super Bowl in New Orleans according to numbers released by WVUE-Channel 8, Sunday’s game had a 49.3 average rating and a 70 average share.
Rating is the percentage of viewership among the market’s total TV households (about 634,000). Share is the percentage of viewership among sets in use.
The 2009 Super Bowl: 45.7 rating/63 share.
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

The Miami game will be replayed tomorrow (Tues.) @ 7:00 on NFL Network
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

TPSTulane wrote:Saints fever at an all-time high...........
Saints-Dolphins game outdraws Super Bowl in New Orleans according to numbers released by WVUE-Channel 8, Sunday’s game had a 49.3 average rating and a 70 average share.
Rating is the percentage of viewership among the market’s total TV households (about 634,000). Share is the percentage of viewership among sets in use.
IN NO WAY am I saying that Saints fever is not at an all-time high, or trying to say anything anti-Saints, so DON'T TRY TO READ THAT INTO THIS. This is just an innocent observation....

I'd be curious to see the typical weekly viewership numbers in any NFL city (at least, any NFL city with a decent team and decent following) on any given week, compared to the Super Bowl ratings in that city (in a year where their team was not in the Super Bowl).

I'm just guessing that in, for example, a football-crazy city like Pittsburgh, more TVs are tuned to a Steelers road game on TV than are to a Super Bowl in a year where the Steelers aren't in it. A lot of that is probably because more individual people are likely to watch a regular season game alone (at their own house), as opposed to Super Bowl parties where many fewer TV sets are actually on, but more people are watching at each set.

Just a random thought. I could be completely wrong.
Killer Wave
Navigator Level

Unread post by Killer Wave »

PeteRasche wrote: A lot of that is probably because more individual people are likely to watch a regular season game alone (at their own house), as opposed to Super Bowl parties where many fewer TV sets are actually on, but more people are watching at each set.

Pete - There might have been more Saints/Miami viewing parties this weekend than normal Superbowl parties. :P I know I was at a Saints party. I'm sure many other people were too.

The Saints have been a great diversion on Sundays to get rid of my Tulane football depression.
Just Win Baby !!!
Hannibal Heyes
Navigator Level

Unread post by Hannibal Heyes »

Private Joker wrote:Has a team in the last 50 years of the NFL ever done what the Saints have done in these first six games?
Well, it depends on exactly what you mean by that. Points scored? Margin of victory? Games scoring over 45+points?

Points scored after six games: Saints are second all time behind the 2000 St. Louis Rams, who scored 262 after six games. Of course, if you recall, those Rams pretty much fell apart in the second half of the season and ended up losing to the Saints in the first game of the playoffs.

Margin of victory: The 2007 Patriots won all of their first six games by at least 17 points, and in fact, their second closest game was a 21 point margin. They went 16-0 in the regular season that year.

Games scoring over 45+ points: As far as I can tell, the Saints are the first team in NFL history to score over 45 points in four of their first six games.
Don't believe anything you read on the internet, including this post.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

PeteRasche wrote:
TPSTulane wrote:Saints fever at an all-time high...........
IN NO WAY am I saying that Saints fever is not at an all-time high, or trying to say anything anti-Saints, so DON'T TRY TO READ THAT INTO THIS. This is just an innocent observation....

I'd be curious to see the typical weekly viewership numbers in any NFL city (at least, any NFL city with a decent team and decent following) on any given week, compared to the Super Bowl ratings in that city (in a year where their team was not in the Super Bowl).

I'm just guessing that in, for example, a football-crazy city like Pittsburgh, more TVs are tuned to a Steelers road game on TV than are to a Super Bowl in a year where the Steelers aren't in it. A lot of that is probably because more individual people are likely to watch a regular season game alone (at their own house), as opposed to Super Bowl parties where many fewer TV sets are actually on, but more people are watching at each set.

Just a random thought. I could be completely wrong.
No, you're right.

But...the "Saints Party" thing is taking off. For the Dolphins game I was at one on Bayou Sauvage with at least 16 other folks. Bars I go to like Finn McCool's are fire hazards during Saints games.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Hannibal Heyes
Navigator Level

Unread post by Hannibal Heyes »

Some Darren Sharper stats:

The NFL record for interception return yardage is 358 yards (Ed Reed, Baltimore, 2004). Darren Sharper has 317 yards after only six games.

The record for interception TD's in a season is 4. Sharper already has 3. Also, Sharper is only one interception TD from tying the career record of 12 held by Rod Woodson.
Don't believe anything you read on the internet, including this post.
bigmoneytx

Unread post by bigmoneytx »

Chris Scelfo sighting on the ATL sidelines
Still there as the TE coach - Heck - with Alge Crumpler and now Tony Gonzo - He got it made!
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Loyola MBA Class of 1988
bigmoneytx

Unread post by bigmoneytx »

If you are watching the game you are watching the officials deal with clock issues... made me laugh a lot thinking about Fogelman.... dont know why - but made me think if it - had a good laugh.. hopefully thats all a perm fix on our end!
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Saints play horrible but still beat Chris Scelfo and the Dirty Birds.
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
ATSF_Greenie
Coach Level

Unread post by ATSF_Greenie »

TPSTulane wrote:Can you just imagine Tulane playing in the Dome with that type of crowd in there...............

It is funny you should mention that, TPS. I was thinking the same exact thing last night. I realize we can not go back and change history, and we can't dwell on it forever, what is done is done as JtS said many times here. "IF" is the biggest word in the dictionary, as it changes perception of reality. However, I was thinking for a while as I looked at the crowd in the game last night, just imagine if Tulane had made better decisions, and done the right things in the past when needed, (staying in SEC, improving the program, possibly renovating our own stadium, and really promoting athletics instead de-emphasizing and being hostile toward it, investing in it), can you imagine the atmosphere had LSU and Tulane both been very successful in the SEC year after year, and both in the SEC-W, with the game having division implications? Can you just imagine what the games / game day environments would have been like today? Can you imagine the buzz around the state, especially NO & BR, the week before the games? My guess is we would be each other's season finale still. Not only would our football team have been been a major force in college football, I would imagine our other programs would have been very successful as well. While fun to imagine, it is quite depressing too, to know what "could have been" :cry:

ATSF
US NAVY VETERAN
TULANE ALUM (2006)
TAE-KWAN DO BLACK BELT
DODGE RAM TRUCK OWNER & FAN
detltu
Riptide Level

Unread post by detltu »

I was at the Saints game last night and I thought about it when the guy next to me mentioned the 12-0 banner and said "1998, that wasn't that long ago". If Tulane could get even 2/3 of capacity on a regular basis that would be a can't miss event.
Louisiana Tech BS ME 2003 - I'm a huge Tech fan so read anything I say about Tech with that knowledge
Tulane PMBA class of 2013