***Official Soccer Thread***

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Re: ***Official Soccer Thread***

Post by NJwave »

FW wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:
NJwave wrote:
FW wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:2-1 win over Jamaica and the US takes home the Gold Cup. Surprised it wasn't posted here yet.

On a different note, as a causal fan of US soccer I've been told the FIFA rankings are pretty much bunk. Instead I use http://www.eloratings.net/ to get an idea of how national teams match up. What are the thoughts of more avid fans on the available ranking systems out there? Is the one I've been using any better than FIFA?
I went to bed immediately after the game, and woke up and went straight to do yard work. Good to see Morris get the winner after he was burned on Jamaica's goal.

As for the rankings, the FIFA ones are crap. For example, we were ranked 4th in the world ahead of the 2006 World Cup, and I don't think anyone in their right mind thought we were the 4th best team in the world then. Elo is more accurate, but they're all still a bit crap. 23 seems a little low, I'd say 15-20, but 23 is ok.
We dominated the game and deserved the win. It's nice the win the Gold Cup. From a big picture, the biggest positives are that Jordan Morris regained his confidence and could be a valuable sub going forward this next year, Darlington Nagbe has cemented himself as a reliable starter, Michael Bradley is playing the best he has in several years and Clint Dempsey still has a lot to offer this team as a guy that can go all out for 30 minutes.

Arena has taken what was a mess and added a lot of stability. We will qualify for the World Cup. I really like the team for 2022.
Coach Hullabaloo keeps threatening if we get in the World Cup that we are going to a game in Russia. After seeing the hotels debacles from the winter olympics that whole scenario worries me. And then after that there's Dubai. Why can't Canada host the World Cup?
US/Canada/Mexico put in a bid for 2026 and there's basically no competition, so they'll host between the 3. Canada is going to need to fix their turf problem though.
It will be interesting to see how many spots CONCACAF will be awarded. Although there will likely be 48 teams at that point.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

NJwave wrote:
FW wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:
NJwave wrote:
FW wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:2-1 win over Jamaica and the US takes home the Gold Cup. Surprised it wasn't posted here yet.

On a different note, as a causal fan of US soccer I've been told the FIFA rankings are pretty much bunk. Instead I use http://www.eloratings.net/ to get an idea of how national teams match up. What are the thoughts of more avid fans on the available ranking systems out there? Is the one I've been using any better than FIFA?
I went to bed immediately after the game, and woke up and went straight to do yard work. Good to see Morris get the winner after he was burned on Jamaica's goal.

As for the rankings, the FIFA ones are crap. For example, we were ranked 4th in the world ahead of the 2006 World Cup, and I don't think anyone in their right mind thought we were the 4th best team in the world then. Elo is more accurate, but they're all still a bit crap. 23 seems a little low, I'd say 15-20, but 23 is ok.
We dominated the game and deserved the win. It's nice the win the Gold Cup. From a big picture, the biggest positives are that Jordan Morris regained his confidence and could be a valuable sub going forward this next year, Darlington Nagbe has cemented himself as a reliable starter, Michael Bradley is playing the best he has in several years and Clint Dempsey still has a lot to offer this team as a guy that can go all out for 30 minutes.

Arena has taken what was a mess and added a lot of stability. We will qualify for the World Cup. I really like the team for 2022.
Coach Hullabaloo keeps threatening if we get in the World Cup that we are going to a game in Russia. After seeing the hotels debacles from the winter olympics that whole scenario worries me. And then after that there's Dubai. Why can't Canada host the World Cup?
US/Canada/Mexico put in a bid for 2026 and there's basically no competition, so they'll host between the 3. Canada is going to need to fix their turf problem though.
It will be interesting to see how many spots CONCACAF will be awarded. Although there will likely be 48 teams at that point.
I say five Canada the auto bid
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
FW wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:
NJwave wrote:
FW wrote:

It'll be the only way Canada makes a tournament. Even with their good young talent, they suck. They have a really good 16 year old who played well at the GC, Alphonso Davies, who plays for Vancouver. He scored 3 goals at the GC, and Cyle Larin is tearing it up for Orlando, but their young talent never seems to translate into international success. They haven't made the Hex since 1998, and a WC since '86 (their only ever appearance).
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
FW wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:
NJwave wrote:
FW wrote:

It'll be the only way Canada makes a tournament. Even with their good young talent, they suck. They have a really good 16 year old who played well at the GC, Alphonso Davies, who plays for Vancouver. He scored 3 goals at the GC, and Cyle Larin is tearing it up for Orlando, but their young talent never seems to translate into international success. They haven't made the Hex since 1998, and a WC since '86 (their only ever appearance).
Which is why they deserve a bid
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
FW wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:
NJwave wrote:
FW wrote:

I say give Mexico and US bids and make Canada earn it.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
FW wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:
NJwave wrote:
FW wrote:

I say give Mexico and US bids and make Canada earn it.
I say frick Mexico and if we can't earn a bid with the expanded number of teams we don't deserve to be there
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I was just messing with you
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

In other news, Bob Bradley has been named coach at LAFC. The Galaxy just named Sigi Schmid their coach too.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

In this addition of we're all poor. Neymar is signing with PSG for £26.8 per year (after taxes), which is also £515,000 per week (after taxes). That's $35.4 per year (after taxes) and $680,000 per week (after taxes).
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

FW wrote:In this addition of we're all poor. Neymar is signing with PSG for £26.8 per year (after taxes), which is also £515,000 per week (after taxes). That's $35.4 per year (after taxes) and $680,000 per week (after taxes).
You forgot to mention that in this deal PSG is breaking the transfer received by 2.2x.

And best of all, Barcelona and La Liga are threatening to bring financial fair play complaints against PSG.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

MattK wrote:
FW wrote:In this addition of we're all poor. Neymar is signing with PSG for £26.8 per year (after taxes), which is also £515,000 per week (after taxes). That's $35.4 per year (after taxes) and $680,000 per week (after taxes).
You forgot to mention that in this deal PSG is breaking the transfer received by 2.2x.

And best of all, Barcelona and La Liga are threatening to bring financial fair play complaints against PSG.
Yeah, all of that, but I was concentrating on the money going into his pocket. I do think it's a bit funny that Barca are bringing complaints. Come on, guys. Like you wouldn't do it. Just because you used to have Unicef on your jerseys.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Not sure the bigger news.....Carlos Vela joining LAFC (meaning the entire Mexican National team is now in MLS) or that Rafa Marquez was sanctioned by the U.S. Department of Treasury in connection with a drug trafficking organization.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

FW wrote:Not sure the bigger news.....Carlos Vela joining LAFC (meaning the entire Mexican National team is now in MLS) or that Rafa Marquez was sanctioned by the U.S. Department of Treasury in connection with a drug trafficking organization.
I've stressed my animosity for the Mexican national team so I will just say that there is nobody more deserving of having problems with the law than Rafa Marquez. What's shocking is that he must have a ridiculous amount of money after being a legend in Mexican soccer for so long. He has to have made a fortune in endorsements.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I remember reading an article that said he was one of the 10 richest athletes in Mexico a couple of years ago
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Morocco?
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

windywave wrote:Morocco?
They don't have a chance
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:
They don't have a chance
I have a free place to stay there
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
They don't have a chance
I have a free place to stay in the US
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
They don't have a chance
I went to Morocco on my honeymoon. Awesome country. Spain would bring a ton of fans.

I agree they won't get it.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Chelsea is getting spanked by Burnley, 3-0 at the start of the 2nd half
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
They don't have a chance
Didn't realize that
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:Chelsea is getting spanked by Burnley, 3-0 at the start of the 2nd half
They've been down a guy most of the game
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

windywave wrote:
FW wrote:Chelsea is getting spanked by Burnley, 3-0 at the start of the 2nd half
They've been down a guy most of the game
I know, but it's still fun
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Brighton played Man City fairly close for the first 60 minutes; not bad for a team who is playing in its first Premier league game ever.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

AO Sig wrote:Brighton played Man City fairly close for the first 60 minutes; not bad for a team who is playing in its first Premier league game ever.
It was because we wore our frick ugly ass wine colored road kits. But, in the end, City got 3 points, and a +2 in the GD. Last year that's a game that's probably a draw. I'll take a road win, even against BHA.