Wichita State Baseball Coach Base Salary p

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Wichita State Baseball Coach Base Salary p

Post by tjtlja »

Wichita State newly hired baseball coach Eric Wedge will start off at a base salary of $350,000 per year.

Any idea what Jewett’s base salary is per year? I don’t think it is $350k. I am thinking it is much lower.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Wichita State Baseball Coach Base Salary p

Post by gerryb323 »

THE Eric Wedge?!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

gerryb323 wrote:THE Eric Wedge?!
Indeed. I had to look it up to be sure
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

That's like the Mike Dunleavy hire. Although at least Wedge went to WSU
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

gerryb323 wrote:That's like the Mike Dunleavy hire. Although at least Wedge went to WSU
Their fans love it, it’s a weird hire to me. No college experience. Not sure what he’s been doing the past couple years.

I’d also agree that Jewett makes less than 350K
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

visualmagic wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:That's like the Mike Dunleavy hire. Although at least Wedge went to WSU
Their fans love it, it’s a weird hire to me. No college experience.
???? He played for WSU's NCAA championship team. He's seen the glory there. He's a former MLB manager of year. His resume looks more like AC's or Gautreau's on steroids than MD's at Tulane.

We'll see how Wedge recruits. No predictions there. I would guess in near term he will focus on JUCO's especially the strong CC system in Kansas.

Meanwhile it's easy to see how WSU supporters are pumped about this. AAC needs a strong baseball program at WSU.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Baywave1 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
???? He played for WSU's NCAA championship team. He's seen the glory there. He's a former MLB manager of year. His resume looks more like AC's or Gautreau's on steroids than MD's at Tulane.

We'll see how Wedge recruits. No predictions there. I would guess in near term he will focus on JUCO's especially the strong CC system in Kansas.

Meanwhile it's easy to see how WSU supporters are pumped about this. AAC needs a strong baseball program at WSU.
The job of an MLB manager is not even similar to the job of college baseball head coach.
He’s never coached in college baseball, you can argue that he’s got a better résumé than Gautreau or AC, but it doesn’t look anything like their résumés.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

visualmagic wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

The job of an MLB manager is not even similar to the job of college baseball head coach.
He’s never coached in college baseball, you can argue that he’s got a better résumé than Gautreau or AC, but it doesn’t look anything like their résumés.
In angst I wrote it before, but I am in the hard NO column for former pro coaches who want to parachute in and slum it with the colleges. It’s like the US and the UK: separated by a common language. It may look like the same game but it’s not. Sure there have been occasional successes but most often it’s a Dunleavy Debacle. The skill sets are different.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

TUPF wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

In angst I wrote it before, but I am in the hard NO column for former pro coaches who want to parachute in and slum it with the colleges. It’s like the US and the UK: separated by a common language. It may look like the same game but it’s not. Sure there have been occasional successes but most often it’s a Dunleavy Debacle. The skill sets are different.
Football may be the exception.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Poseidon wrote:Football may be the exception.
Maybe I’m tainted more by the college to pro failures like Spurrier and Saban but I can’t think of many pro head coaches who later had a success in college. I guess I’m throwing CJ in that mix too but he was a position coach.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
Maybe I’m tainted more by the college to pro failures like Spurrier and Saban but I can’t think of many pro head coaches who later had a success in college. I guess I’m throwing CJ in that mix too but he was a position coach.
Pete Carroll was pretty good.

The difference between football and basketball as it pertains to pro/college is that the career path to coach in the NFL almost always involves coaching in college. NBA, not so much.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
I thought of him as well but weren't they put on probation right after he left?

He's the only one I could think of.
Victory is never permanent
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

OGSB wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
I thought of him as well but weren't they put on probation right after he left?

He's the only one I could think of.
They won a million NCs and then got a ridiculous punishment because some agent let Reggie Bush stay in a fancy house and maybe gave him some money (I can't remember)...I'd call Carroll a success.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

USC won 2 national titles, one of which was split with LSU. They also lost one to Texas. Carroll is definitely a success though.

More recently, Jim Mora Jr. flamed out at UCLA after a promising start. Lovie Smith at Illinois hasn't borne fruit. Herm Edwards at ASU is the latest experiment.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:USC won 2 national titles, one of which was split with LSU. They also lost one to Texas. Carroll is definitely a success though.

More recently, Jim Mora Jr. flamed out at UCLA after a promising start. Lovie Smith at Illinois hasn't borne fruit. Herm Edwards at ASU is the latest experiment.
One.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

TUPF wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:USC won 2 national titles, one of which was split with LSU. They also lost one to Texas. Carroll is definitely a success though.

One.
Two. For all of the modern football era, the AP poll has been a primary selector of national titles. Since the BCS era, the AP has selected the winner of the BCS title game as its champ, every year but one, 2003. In that year, LSU won the BCS title with their only loss being to Florida 19-7 earlier in the season. USC finished with one loss as well, a 3OT 34-31 loss to Cal. The AP voters went with USC while the Coaches poll went with LSU because they were contractually obligated to vote for the BCS winner. Pretty much everywhere you look online you'll see that year's title split between the two schools and I think both have good claims to it. Too bad we didn't have a 4 team playoff that year.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Back to the thread. We'll see how Wedge does at WSU and we'll see how Hardaway does at UM. He's another guy with zero college coaching experience. He seems to have figured out recruiting though.

Regardless AAC needs strong programs in their respective sports at both schools.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
TUPF wrote:

One.
Two. For all of the modern football era, the AP poll has been a primary selector of national titles. Since the BCS era, the AP has selected the winner of the BCS title game as its champ, every year but one, 2003. In that year, LSU won the BCS title with their only loss being to Florida 19-7 earlier in the season. USC finished with one loss as well, a 3OT 34-31 loss to Cal. The AP voters went with USC while the Coaches poll went with LSU because they were contractually obligated to vote for the BCS winner. Pretty much everywhere you look online you'll see that year's title split between the two schools and I think both have good claims to it. Too bad we didn't have a 4 team playoff that year.
Point taken but I was too cryptic. I meant one successful pro to college coach.

No more for me, please. Although it might be fun to see Belichick try.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

TUPF wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
TUPF wrote:

One.

My mistake, arguing with myself as usual. I agree with you on the pro coach thing. Even in football the two levels are too different for it to work in all but the rarest of cases. Pete Carroll had the advantage of being at a blue blood school with resources and talent to match. In general it's not an idea worth trying
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
TUPF wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
TUPF wrote:

One.

My mistake, arguing with myself as usual. I agree with you on the pro coach thing. Even in football the two levels are too different for it to work in all but the rarest of cases. Pete Carroll had the advantage of being at a blue blood school with resources and talent to match. In general it's not an idea worth trying
Without researching I can think of June Jones(falcons-hawaii,smu)successful; Dave Wandtsad(bears,fins-pitt)mixed, Mike Sherman(packers-Tex am)mixed/decent;
Then there are the "there and back again's" Spurrier, Chip Kelly, Butch Davis, Mike Riley

There hasn't been big time failures, for the most part.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Poseidon wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
TUPF wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
TUPF wrote:

One.

Without researching I can think of June Jones(falcons-hawaii,smu)successful; Dave Wandtsad(bears,fins-pitt)mixed, Mike Sherman(packers-Tex am)mixed/decent;
Then there are the "there and back again's" Spurrier, Chip Kelly, Butch Davis, Mike Riley

Sorry I dont think the expectations when you hire an nfl guy is to achieve "just ok". I will give you June Jones although his success was more about winning in tough places to win rather than at the highest level. We have said Carroll counts. Spurrier and Saban are college guys who failed in the pros, not the other way around. But the vast majority of those would count as failures as they never achieved success over any period of time in college and wound up fired. Even Chip Kelly has yet to light the world on fire in his return to the college game.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
TUPF wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
TUPF wrote:

One.

Sorry I dont think the expectations when you hire an nfl guy is to achieve "just ok". I will give you June Jones although his success was more about winning in tough places to win rather than at the highest level. We have said Carroll counts. Spurrier and Saban are college guys who failed in the pros, not the other way around. But the vast majority of those would count as failures as they never achieved success over any period of time in college and wound up fired. Even Chip Kelly has yet to light the world on fire in his return to the college game.
While I wouldn’t say Spurrier failed at S Carolina, I suspect cork sucker fans expected more than what they got. Alabama got what they expected but then, that’s always what they expect.
Victory is never permanent