A revelation

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
doncecco
President's Circle

A revelation

Post by doncecco »

Watching the FCS Champ game last night, they flashed up a graphic about Villanova. What caught my eye was enrollment is 6200.

Then it struck me.

Private institution.
Large city.
Fans rabid for pro team.
Big Brother State U 2-3 hrs away with impenetrable following.
Enrollment in the 5-10 k range.

Hmmm.

I know this is sacrilegious, but it sure feels like we should be in FCS. Nova has a name athletics program that can focus on basketball and winning at a level in football where they can compete. What's wrong with that? Is it better to do that or hope for that one golden season a generation.

I don't know, and I'm sure I'm going to get pummeled, but I throw it out for reflection.
Bring home da Wave!
Pepper
Coach Level

Re: A revelation

Post by Pepper »

You make some valid points. I think we ought to wait after the 2011 season to revisit this idea if the program is in the same state as it is now. Others believe we are on the verge of a break out season or at least some tangible evidence of improvement.

Just some food for thought. If we did move down, we definately do not play in the Dome, so an on campus stadium is a must. I do not think it would hurt home attendence unless we continue to lose in FCS but the visiting teams we play will have much lower followings. The sports media does not cover us now, so that would not be an issue. We'll attract alot more local kids that are going to the smaller state schools.

Just to be clear: I am not advocating a move down. IMHO, i believe we will be competitive next year and maybe by 2011 we go bowling.
I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Villanova does have a nice, but small, on campus stadium, situated right next to the street that runs through the area. I would wonder whether football "pays for" itself and other sports in the IAA scenario, or maybe Villanova is an anomaly, with basketball being a key generator of funds. I can't think of another school off the top of my head that has a big time IA basketball program but plays a FCS football schedule. That does not seem to be the case with the other schools in the FCS playoffs (Montana, Youngstown State, etc.).
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

I happened to see (TV) that Villanova - Wm. & Mary game 2 Fridays ago. Both of them looked good. Both had good skill players. I really was amazed at how good they really were. Villanova has the big advantage of really being a basketball power in a basketball area. It's an interesting thought Don. It's obvious that Villanova has a nice athletic program. I just think Tulane has to REALLY try to win in whatever league or Division of play we occupy. If we just drop down & continue the neglect, we're gonna become even more obscure. Fast concentrating on both football AND basketball would sure help.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I moved this over here because it has nothing to do with Tulane.

WE ARE STAYING IN DIV.1A, THERE HAS BEEN NO DISCUSSION WHATSOEVER OVER DOING ANYTHING ELSE BUT STAYING WHERE WE ARE.

no "revelation" here, more like a brain f@rt
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Hannibal Heyes
Navigator Level

Post by Hannibal Heyes »

For every Villanova, there's a Rice, Vanderbilt, Stanford, etc. Tulane belongs in 1A. Period.

Personally, I would have zero interest in FCS football. Win or lose. Zero.
Don't believe anything you read on the internet, including this post.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

doncecco wrote:I know this is sacrilegious, but it sure feels like we should be in FCS. Nova has a name athletics program that can focus on basketball and winning at a level in football where they can compete. What's wrong with that? Is it better to do that or hope for that one golden season a generation.

I don't know, and I'm sure I'm going to get pummeled, but I throw it out for reflection.
No we should not be in 1AA - that's absolutely ridiculous. Our issues have NOTHING to do with 1A being too hard. It has to do with bad circumstances and poor management. And thinking that our basketball team gets good if we don't have football is just silly - that's a pure strawman and an excuse instead of dealing with the real issues. We've got more accomplishments than many,many 1a teams.
Heck, how many C-USA teams have had a 1998 fluke?

Tulane is in a football crazed town, football could yield bountiful rewards to the athletic department and to the university. Yet, Tulane's management acts like its completely oblivious to that.
We're supposed to quit? I will never EVER put employees above this program. NEVER.
Last edited by GSx on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

If we drop to I-AA, say goodbye to C-USA, if we drop from C-USA say goodbye to Rick Jones, if we lose Rick Jones, say goodbye to D-I athletics.
Pelican Power
Navigator Level

Post by Pelican Power »

Again, Tulane has specifically designed itself to be in a conference with similar peers in D1. Tulsa, SMU and Rice are our division rivals.
TULANE University of Louisiana

OliveGreenandBlue! We love thee!

1932-ROSE Wave 1935-SUGAR Wave
1940-SUGAR Wave 2
1970-Year of the Green 1973-Bluebonnet Wave 1979-Experience Wave Craze
1998-PERFECT Wave
2013-Bowl Wave
2023-COTTON Wave
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

Villanova has an interesting football history, playing in the highest division from 1900-1981. In '81 the Wildcats dropped football for four years and returned in the D-1AA Yankee Conference in 1985 (currently in the Atlantic 10). Tulane received 2 immediate transfers the Villanova program in '82, one that contributed (whose name escapes me). Villanova's success seems to have coincided with their recruiting of local public and private school players. I'm sure TUPF knows more than I do...

Tulane's situation is entirely different for many reasons. We reside in the Deep South, college football heaven. There are (9?) universities/colleges playing football in the Philly area. With minor adjustments, we have thoroughly discussed on the Tulane-only forum, we can and will achieve consistent success as Villanova has achieved in the FCS. I believe we will all be particularly happy in the coming months. Nevertheless this is an interesting comparison...

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I'm just glad doncecco didn't watch the High School Championships last weekend. He'd be suggesting Tulane become a high school.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Like I said, I thought I would get pummeled, but the response has been milder than I thought. FW made the best argument that convinces me FCS is not the way to go.

But the bottom line remains - the current product is terrible and unsustainable. We have to figure out how to win, keep winning, and get at least 30,000 in the stands.
Bring home da Wave!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

JtS wrote:Villanova has an interesting football history, playing in the highest division from 1900-1981. In '81 the Wildcats dropped football for four years and returned in the D-1AA Yankee Conference in 1985 (currently in the Atlantic 10). Tulane received 2 immediate transfers the Villanova program in '82, one that contributed (whose name escapes me). Villanova's success seems to have coincided with their recruiting of local public and private school players. I'm sure TUPF knows more than I do...
Alas, though I have lived in Philadelphia for close to 20 years now due to the wife's roots here, my heart belongs to Tulane. Believe me, it would be easier on the psyche and wallet to be a Villanova or Temple or PSU or Rutgers fan...but loyalties never die. Yes, I do get excited for the city when Nova or St. Joes (a few years ago) has a nice run, but moreso as a city booster than anything. It's fun to see Temple football having a good run, and Nova win the FCS national championship, but though I am a 5 minute subway ride to the stadium, have been to one Temple game in 20 years (to see Miami) and have only seen one Nova basketball game. No football.

It ain't easy being Green, but I can't help it :wink: .
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Pepper
Coach Level

Post by Pepper »

[quote="long green"]I'm just glad doncecco didn't watch the High School Championships last weekend. He'd be suggesting Tulane become a high school.[/quote]

After watching the high school championships, I started questioning the coaching and play calling.

FWIW, Don I thought your thread and JtS' comments were very interesting. It all really comes down to what the school wants to be.
I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.