Apparently a JUCO QB signs with Vandy.

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
yelsnik
Head Trainer

Apparently a JUCO QB signs with Vandy.

Unread post by yelsnik »

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091 ... 2/-1/RSS05

"Junior college quarterback Jordan Rodgers, younger brother of Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, has signed to play football at Vanderbilt."
yelsnik
Head Trainer

Why did this same post get deleted on the "sports" board?

Unread post by yelsnik »

I was hoping to see a discussion about this there too.
FW
Cornerstone

Re: Apparently a JUCO QB signs with Vandy.

Unread post by FW »

because it has nothing to do with Tulane. It didn't get deleted on the "sports" board, it got deleted on the "Tulane sports" board.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Re: Why did this same post get deleted on the "sports" board?

Unread post by GSx »

yelsnik wrote:I was hoping to see a discussion about this there too.
Another crack in the "Tulane model"
Note that he was a qualifier out of high school - that seems to be one of the key issues (the other the transfer of credits).
If you want JCs who qualified out of college, you need to go to California. One thing many of us hoped or figured was that hiring Toledo would bring some California recruiting. It has been modest, and none in the last 2 classes. I guess we need bigger recruiting budgets, another casualty of the silly "Tulane model".
Pepper
Coach Level

Unread post by Pepper »

There's goes Vandy's academic reputation! :o

Wasn't Mike McKay and Elton Veals JC players for us? I think they turned out to be pretty good.
I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

I'm sure their alumni is up in arms over the destruction of their academic reputation because of admitting a JUCO player
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Pepper
Coach Level

Unread post by Pepper »

You're right. My intern is a Vandy grad and she is "shocked I tell you"! Seriously, she is excited because she thinks the missing piece is a decent QB.
I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
Evergreenie
Navigator Level

Unread post by Evergreenie »

Vandy should immediately be removed from top 50 consideration by the US News and World Report rankings panel. How dare they violate the "Tulane Model" which has served so well in guiding the Top 50 peerage through NCAA automatic qualifier tumult with their season ticket holders.
"Tulane, because of ...Hurricane Katrina as well as its difficult academic entrance requirements and challenging majors, doesn't attract the typical five-star recruit and have none of those on its commitment list." Times-Picayune on Signing Day
Wavebacker
Coach Level

Unread post by Wavebacker »

Vandy and Juco's

His family name aside, Rodgers’ signing is big news and a genuine rarity for a university that has admitted just one other junior college transfer for football in Coach Bobby Johnson’s eight-year tenure.

Bill Alford, who played one year at Middle Georgia before the program went under, was a cornerback for Vanderbilt in 2003-04 before going to the NFL.

“I know with Vanderbilt being such a prestigious academic school, junior college players traditionally fall through the cracks because of grades,” Rodgers said. “I was a qualifier out of high school. I choose junior college because I really needed to grow. My grades have stayed really good and I think that helped out with the whole process.”

Land of the Free...........................Home of the Wave!

JtS
Regent's Circle

The reoccuring JC transfer argument propagated

Unread post by JtS »

into "the rise and fall of the "Tulane Model" rears its ugly head after only 3 weeks? It's great to see the disinformation society working overtime during the holiday season....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29518&start=30

Facts:

1. Vandy-(ranked 17th USN&WR) -(27% admission rate)-(BCS-yes)-(2-JCs) no athletic friendly major and 80% redshirt.
Compared to:
Tulane-(ranked 50th USN&WR)-(27% admission rate)- (BCS-no)-(no-JCs)-no athletic friendly majors and 38% redshirt.

2. The real differences between the programs are (1) JC on the team currently (the article above was incorrect) with a second one signed (3 JCs total in the last 10 years), a desire to build by redshirting players, BCS and SEC money and no Katrina or Athletic Director. If you scrutinize the football teams 60 year winning percentages the teams are close (Tulane leads 10 to 4 in bowl appearances).

3. Examining published transfer admission policies can be informative but not completely revealing.

Vandy's transfer admission policy states:

Admission of transfer students to Vanderbilt is competitive and based on academic merit . While there is no priority based on the date of application submission, transfer students are encouraged to submit their application by the March 1 for fall term consideration. Applications received after March 1 are considered on a space-available basis. There is no transfer admission for spring semester.
While collegiate academic achievement is important, indicators of academic success including the high school record, standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities are important components of the review process.
Interviews are not part of the admission process at Vanderbilt. Required essays provide insight into understanding applicants' perspectives and how they might contribute to the Vanderbilt community.

Academic credit earned at accredited institutions is evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Generally, if a course is similar in description and content to a course at Vanderbilt, transfer credit may be awarded.

4. Very interesting policy change for young Mr. Rogers AND the wording for transfer credits.

http://admissions.vanderbilt.edu/underg ... tudent.php

5. Tulane's transfer admission policy states

Transferring Credit
We do our best to evaluate and transfer credit for the work that you have already completed at another college or university. To do this, we need your help.

Send us your course descriptions:
The registrar's office will evaluate all graded courses in which you have received a grade of C or better and taken before you register for classes at Tulane. To avoid delays, please send course descriptions for all courses taken, as well as in-progress courses, as soon as possible. Send us your course descriptions via email, FAX, or mail.

Transfer Credit for First-Year Writing Courses
Transfer students may satisfy Tulane’s first-year writing requirement if the course(s) to be transferred are determined to be equivalent to ENGL 101 at Tulane. If you receive liberal arts credit for a first-year writing course and not ENGL 101, you have not satisfied the first-year writing requirement. You may appeal by submitting a course syllabus to us so we can reevaluate the curriculum. Courses that transfer as ENGL 101 must have required at least 30 pages of writing with revisions after instructor evaluation and covered these topics: argument, analysis, research, and exposition.

Transfer Credits
Prior approval is necessary in order for currently enrolled students to take course(s) for transfer credit to Tulane University.
Request approval for courses taken at another 4-year college or university in the U.S. using the Transfer Credit Approval form. You must obtain this form from your academic advisor.
To be eligible for transfer credit from study-abroad programs, students must have at least a 2.700 cumulative grade-point average at Tulane. Tulane-sponsored abroad programs have more specific requirements.
For more information on the approval process, please contact your academic advisor.

Transfers are admitted in both Fall and Spring semesters.

The Undergraduate Admissions office evaluates all graded courses (in which you have received a C or better) taken before registering at Tulane. Once the admission office evaluates your previous coursework, credit for appropriate corresponding Tulane courses will be assigned. When your deposit is paid, your file is sent to your academic advisor.
To ensure a faster evaluation, send photocopies of course descriptions (with courses highlighted) for all courses taken and in progress to the admissions office as soon as possible.

6. In addition, just for full disclosure’s sake, Jordan Rodgers (who may end up being the second coming of Joe Montana) is a 3 star recruit (same as Ryan Griffin except Rodgers was not seriously recruited out of High School) for those that believe in such things and was recruited and offered by Western Kentucky, Arkansas State, Rhode Island, Indiana State, Idaho State and Massachusetts and Vandy. If signed by Tulane, without his name and pedigree a faction on this forum would howl at his lack of credentials. Plus his recruiment has Vandy with an NCAA violation.

Let it be written...

http://admission.tulane.edu/apply/transfer.php
http://admission.tulane.edu/apply/transfer_admitted.php
http://admission.tulane.edu/apply/transfer_credit.php
http://advising.tulane.edu/transfer_students.html
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

JtS ..... are you saying that Vanderbilt Univ. is going to be punished by the NCAA?? I don't know all the details, but I don't see that happening. Minnesota is bring in 4(J.C.'s) next yr. & The IU Hoosiers are bringing in 3. These are not horrible schools. A couple of JC transfers won't save Tulane, but I'm amazed at your tolerance for the status quo(i.e.) a ridiculous Div 1 athletic program. Please .... no more going back 60 or 80 yrs. & compare bowl appearances with Vandy. You're just making more excuses for the Administration. We need to step on it, not sit around a coffee table & discuss all the things we CAN'T do. What the hell :!: :!:
Evergreenie
Navigator Level

Unread post by Evergreenie »

we dont play vanderbilt, but it looks like they have seen the light

Tulane's policies were completely different prior to Eamon Kelley instituting death by a thousand missed recruits.
"Tulane, because of ...Hurricane Katrina as well as its difficult academic entrance requirements and challenging majors, doesn't attract the typical five-star recruit and have none of those on its commitment list." Times-Picayune on Signing Day
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TPSTulane »

Ray wrote:JtS ..... are you saying that Vanderbilt Univ. is going to be punished by the NCAA?? I don't know all the details, but I don't see that happening. Minnesota is bring in 4(J.C.'s) next yr. & The IU Hoosiers are bringing in 3. These are not horrible schools. A couple of JC transfers won't save Tulane, but I'm amazed at your tolerance for the status quo(i.e.) a ridiculous Div 1 athletic program. Please .... no more going back 60 or 80 yrs. & compare bowl appearances with Vandy. You're just making more excuses for the Administration. We need to step on it, not sit around a coffee table & discuss all the things we CAN'T do. What the hell :!: :!:
When JC's were allowed in our athletic programs Tulane University was higher ranked in the academic world #26 (when I attented), then compared to #50 today.
Tulane School of Business Class of 1981
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
Conference Realignment "is like changing seats on the Titanic."
JtS
Regent's Circle

Unread post by JtS »

Ray,

In no way am I saying the NCAA is going to punish Vandy for Fodgers' admission to Vandy. Each university (especially private universities) sets the transfer criteria for itself. This information is out for the public to see on webpage’s of Tulane and Vandy. There is probably similar information on paper and more detailed info in the university by-laws of each school. I am showing the similarities and differences of the published transfer information from Vandy and Tulane. And JCs "transfer-in" so obviously transfer rules apply.

Vandy's NCAA violation had nothing to do with their admission of Rodgers. The secondary violation was due to illegal contact Vandy's coaches made with Rodgers during the dead period. You are correct nothing but a slap on the wrist from the NCAA will occur from the contact.

To comment on your other points, I posted the transfer policies of both schools so we can have accurate discussion rather than the customary throwing allegations in the air, usually about Tulane and seeing what sticks. I appreciate yelsnik bring up the subject. This shows what our peers (Minnesota and Indiana are not our peers) are doing to be competitive in today’s playing field. And YES, Tulane does need to make some changes to be competitive in today’s NCAA.

As far as my “tolerance” for the status quo, while I respect your opinion you know very little of my relationship or connection to Tulane University or Tulane Athletics other than what I have posted on this forum for the past 10 years. As a historian by training I do not look at individual games, seasons or even coaching regimes when making decisions or statements. I look at the big picture as a whole rather than a small slice of the picture to fit my particular agenda (and I am not accusing you of this). My post was not an excuse for the Administration any more than it was a comment on today’s weather. Nor was my post a call to do nothing. If you recall since Thanksgiving I have asked folks to post solutions and ideas to improve Tulane Athletics so we can move forward and begin the process of respectability. However I do insist on facts posted on YOGWF as opposed to the usual incessant negativity.

Tulane Athletics is at a crossroads as was mentioned by several posters earlier this month. I know several TAF boosters and supporters who are organizing all “sane” solutions and ideas of merit to present to heads of athletics and the administration. Also I know athletics heard our many suggestions and complaints and is taking action. Personally I believe all on this forum will be very happy for the future of Tulane in the coming months. This is just a hunch based on how quiet everything has been in Wilson and Gibson. This is a very important time for the future of Tulane. As fans and supporters we either stand up and be counted or lose…