When the NCAA ERA leader is a sex offender......

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
FW
Cornerstone

When the NCAA ERA leader is a sex offender......

Post by FW »

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index ... urfac.html

and no comments that he plays for the Beavers
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: When the NCAA ERA leader is a sex offender......

Post by visualmagic »

Not exactly what I was expecting when I saw "sex offender".
Sickening
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

visualmagic wrote:Not exactly what I was expecting when I saw "sex offender".
Sickening
I mean, he's listed as a sex offender. I could change it to "a pathetic, twisted, sick, perverted waste of a human being."
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Both are accurate I guess.

I wonder if Oregon St knew about this already
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

FW wrote:
Sickening
I mean, he's listed as a sex offender. I could change it to "a pathetic, twisted, sick, perverted waste of a human being."
Presumably all true.

I'm just curious. What do you propose here? Even though he is not in jail, where should he live? Some type of extended prison colony? Should he be allowed to earn an unsupervised living? Should he be allowed to excel at anything? Does that include professional athletics or even college sports? Should he be allowed to go to school with or without a scarlet letter?

Does committing this type felony as a juvenile make a difference here? It is now unconstitutional to give life sentences to juveniles for even the most heinous crimes. (See Mr. Malvo.)

Let's assume the OSU pitcher cannot be rehabilitated and this is truly compulsive behavior making him a potential and literal menace to his neighbors and community (which is the real reason for a sex registry; to make others around him aware of this history which sadly could be repeated.) What then?

These are all serious questions and not snark. This is a sports site so I'm not trying to derail it into an inappropriate lurid subject. But then I didn't start this thread and the man does play for the number one ranked college baseball team.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I think he should at least be locked in a room with a guy named bubba for a little bit
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Summary execution seems about right
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Baywave1 wrote:
FW wrote:
Sickening
Presumably all true.

I'm just curious. What do you propose here? Even though he is not in jail, where should he live? Some type of extended prison colony? Should he be allowed to earn an unsupervised living? Should he be allowed to excel at anything? Does that include professional athletics or even college sports? Should he be allowed to go to school with or without a scarlet letter?

Does committing this type felony as a juvenile make a difference here? It is now unconstitutional to give life sentences to juveniles for even the most heinous crimes. (See Mr. Malvo.)

Let's assume the OSU pitcher cannot be rehabilitated and this is truly compulsive behavior making him a potential and literal menace to his neighbors and community (which is the real reason for a sex registry; to make others around him aware of this history which sadly could be repeated.) What then?

These are all serious questions and not snark. This is a sports site so I'm not trying to derail it into an inappropriate lurid subject. But then I didn't start this thread and the man does play for the number one ranked college baseball team.
Studies have shown that very young sex offenders like him (he was 15 at the time of the offense) are very unlikely to re-offend if they don't do so within the first few years after the initial offense and get adequate treatment (which he seems to have done as a condition of his plea deal). He would appear to be a low risk to re-offend. Of course, that does not mean that the initial, very light, sentence was adequate, however, nor does it mean Oregon State should want him on campus. I have very mixed feelings on that subject; the science says he's not much of a risk, but I have a hard time not seeing him still in prison after repeatedly molesting a six year old child. Certainly, if anyone did that to my six year old daughter I would be going to prison for far longer after I beat him to death....

FWIW, juveniles CAN still get life sentences, it's just supposed to be much, much more difficult to do so. Certainly, based on the facts, he got a very charitable plea deal, although that's sadly not too uncommon when you have a victim that is so young.

In some states, sex offenders can be placed in very restrictive housing after their sentences are done, if a court finds they're a high risk to re-offend. These facilities can be prisons in all but name.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

He asked for a leave of absence so as not to be a distraction for his team.

That's what the story says.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

GretnaGrn wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
FW wrote:
Sickening
Presumably all true.

Studies have shown that very young sex offenders like him (he was 15 at the time of the offense) are very unlikely to re-offend if they don't do so within the first few years after the initial offense and get adequate treatment (which he seems to have done as a condition of his plea deal). He would appear to be a low risk to re-offend. Of course, that does not mean that the initial, very light, sentence was adequate, however, nor does it mean Oregon State should want him on campus. I have very mixed feelings on that subject; the science says he's not much of a risk, but I have a hard time not seeing him still in prison after repeatedly molesting a six year old child. Certainly, if anyone did that to my six year old daughter I would be going to prison for far longer after I beat him to death....

FWIW, juveniles CAN still get life sentences, it's just supposed to be much, much more difficult to do so. Certainly, based on the facts, he got a very charitable plea deal, although that's sadly not too uncommon when you have a victim that is so young.

In some states, sex offenders can be placed in very restrictive housing after their sentences are done, if a court finds they're a high risk to re-offend. These facilities can be prisons in all but name.
Yeah, yeah I read that. The girl was 6 and it was "sexual." I really don't care what happens to him.