Mitchell Robinson has bolted from W. Ky.

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
randymc
President's Circle

Mitchell Robinson has bolted from W. Ky.

Post by randymc »

Center Mitchell Robinson of Chalmette, and one of the highest ranking basketball recruits to ink with W. Ky., has left summer school and plans to transfer from W. Ky., according to scout.com and other twitter reports Friday morning 7/28.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Mitchell Robinson has bolted from W. Ky.

Post by long green »

does he have any chance of being eligible this year. If he is, it'll be some bidding war.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

since he has already been attending school and practicing with the basketball team, which like Tulane, is taking a foreign trip in Aug., I think he'd need a waiver of some sort to be immediately eligible. Also, some chatter about him playing overseas for $$$$.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Remember Zubia last year. Attended summer school and lost a year at Texas. Zubia's scenario is very interesting because he also had Tommy John. In this scenario, I wonder if he can petition the NCAA to get the year back? I think the injury happened prior to attending Tulane.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

randymc wrote:Center Mitchell Robinson of Chalmette, and one of the highest ranking basketball recruits to ink with W. Ky., has left summer school and plans to transfer from W. Ky., according to scout.com and other twitter reports Friday morning 7/28.
After Shammond Williams left announced he was leaving Western Kentucky there was a lot of speculation. It seemed to be put to rest when he enrolled in summer school. Interesting story.

I wonder if he would be at Tulane if Shammond Williams was still on our staff.

Vegas odds on the Hilltoppers being investigated by the NCAA in the next view years given how well they have recruited?
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

even money on Western Ky. investigation in not so distant future.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Chalmette's Mitchell Robinson suspended by Western Kentucky

:shock:

he didn't even play a game, did he even practice?

On Monday, WKU basketball coach Rick Stansbury suspended Mitchell indefinitely for a violation of team rules, which only makes sense if Mitchell plans to return to the team.

so where is he headed, you ask:

If Robinson does transfer, he'll likely head to other schools that were on his list of finalists such LSU, Tulane, Alabama, Troy, UMass and Texas A&M, among others

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/ ... river_home
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Well, duh. Stands to reason they would suspend him since he already packed his bags and left school. After the fact trying to save face.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

You can't quit, you're fired!
Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

Just been granted his release per nola.com
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

I suspect that he will never play college basketball if he has to sit out the year. I bet he plays in Europe and then declares for the draft. Although, I did read that LSU is a likely landing spot.

As nice as it would be to get a 5 star recruit, I'm not sure we want Robinson. It could be a major headache for a guy that might never wear a college uniform.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

LSU manages to get 5 star guys all the time, rarely succeeds when they have them, and somehow never gets investigated even when said player admits to taking illegal stuff and not going to class. So why not?
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Goodman of ESPN tweets Saturday afternoon that Mitchell Robinson was on LSU campus today for visit.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

randymc wrote:Goodman of ESPN tweets Saturday afternoon that Mitchell Robinson was on LSU campus today for visit.
He did say he wanted to be closer to home. LSU will probably find a way to finagle a waiver for him to be eligible this year.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Mitchell Robinson to visit Kansas next.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

doncecco wrote:http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/ ... iver_index

Of course they backed out.
Wow... If LSU doesn't want him, he's some seriously damaged goods.

(I'm not going to further comment on him because as soon as I do, he'll commit to Tulane)
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:

(I'm not going to further comment on him because as soon as I do, he'll commit to Tulane)
Perhaps and maybe it's just the standard sports romancing kabuki ritual where when one party starts quietly to show diminished interest the other publicly discloses it has moved on first. "You didn't dump me, I dumped you" or whatever.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote:

It's hard to turn down a 5 * star recruit, but I don't think we want him. He comes with having to petition the NCAA for him to be eligible this year and declaring for the draft after the season. He will never suit up if he isn't granted the year. He will go play in Europe. I think we are going to be good this year because of new found depth and team chemistry. We are going to be a team that is better than the sum of it's parts so to speak. This guy will come in and want to prove he is a lottery pick to NBA scouts. He will put up good numbers and show how talented he is to the detriment to everybody else.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Clearly he wants to be a One and Done. Which would lead me to believe he will be a rare sight in a classroom. We don't need that right now in our Program.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

The last thing we need in our program is a guy that is good enough to be a lottery pick in the NBA.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

I'm reading that Kansas is out as well. Apparently everybody thinks he is a one and done and NCAA won't clear him to play this year.

I said I don't want him but we have a scholarship and there are worse things than practicing every day against a future first round pick.

Question is whether he is a bad guy and will ruin chemistry.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

NJwave wrote:I'm reading that Kansas is out as well. Apparently everybody thinks he is a one and done and NCAA won't clear him to play this year.

I said I don't want him but we have a scholarship and there are worse things than practicing every day against a future first round pick.

He smells worse than an overturned port o potty on a hot Mardi Gras day
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:I'm reading that Kansas is out as well. Apparently everybody thinks he is a one and done and NCAA won't clear him to play this year.

He smells worse than an overturned port o potty on a hot Mardi Gras day
On the surface, he seems like a very immature kid. We also don't really know if Shammond Williams has a bad taste in his mouth for Tulane after not being retained by Dunleavy. He is Robinson's godfather.

Like I said, he is unlikely to ever play a game in a college uniform.

The upside for him is he could learn from a former NBA coach in Dunleavy which could improve his NBA draft stock. For us, it could really help Sehic and the two frosh improve by playing against a major talent. The other upside is that perhaps landing a 5 star recruit might give other stars reason to think of Tulane.

He requires some serious vetting because he comes with a ton of baggage which could outweigh any positives.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

NJwave wrote:
He requires some serious vetting because he comes with a ton of baggage which could outweigh any positives.
He's has been vetted and been found wanting.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count