High school football referee

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

High school football referee

Post by TUPF »

I've taken the plunge to be recertified this season in Maryland and am deep into training. I was previously certified in Western Massachusetts but that was decades ago. Funny thing is that I learned that Massachusetts is only one of a couple of states that uses NCAA rules for high school so that was the reason I could work Division III college with no hiccups. The rest of the US is under the NFHS rules.

The differences are subtle but I will say that the national HS rules are really pushing safety as points of emphasis now. Fair warning to all you old guys going to a Friday night football, the day's of lighting up a defenseless player is going to get 15 pretty quickly now. That goes for both A and B players. And forget leading with a forearm, if it's >45 degrees that'll get 15 too. I'll point out stuff of interest as I get deeper.
Last edited by TUPF on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: High school football referee

Post by ml wave »

A and B players?
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

What's the 45°? Is that the wrist-elbow-shoulder angle?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

ml wave wrote:A and B players?
Sorry, referee speak. A and B refers to offensive and defensive players along with K and R players for kicking and receiving. A and B can change, of course, during a down. It's a way of keeping everything straight when we get deep into the mechanics.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:What's the 45°? Is that the wrist-elbow-shoulder angle?
For a block or hit to be legal with a closed or cupped hand, the forearm(s) are extended no more than 45 degrees from the body.

For a block or hit to be legal with open hand(s), the palm(s) are facing the frame of the opponent or forearms are extended beyond the 45 degree angle from the body.

In other words, it's not like on Sundays with forearm slobberknockers.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I'm now certified. I'll mostly be an umpire (5-7 yards deep from the defensive line).

Noticeable changes you'll see at the high school level this season:
- Point of emphasis on protecting defenseless players. The blindside block outside of the tackle box is only legal with the hands leading. Those slobberknockers are gone.
- Face guarding by the defense on a pass play is now legal. Pass interference requires contact.
- Pop up kicks are no longer legal.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

That pop up kick rule is going to be tough to call when the kicker just has a weak leg.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

TUPF wrote:I've taken the plunge to be recertified this season in Maryland and am deep into training. I was previously certified in Western Massachusetts but that was decades ago. Funny thing is that I learned that Massachusetts is only one of a couple of states that uses NCAA rules for high school so that was the reason I could work Division III college with no hiccups. The rest of the US is under the NFHS rules.

The differences are subtle but I will say that the national HS rules are really pushing safety as points of emphasis now. Fair warning to all you old guys going to a Friday night football, the day's of lighting up a defenseless player is going to get 15 pretty quickly now. That goes for both A and B players. And forget leading with a forearm, if it's >45 degrees that'll get 15 too. I'll point out stuff of interest as I get deeper.
Nevermind HS, try NFL - Vontaz Burfict getting 5-games off for defenseless hit. I'm sure Pete has some thoughts on that.
Bring home da Wave!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote: - Face guarding by the defense on a pass play is now legal. Pass interference requires contact.
As it should.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Called my first blindside block foul in a high school game last night. During a punt return. Wasn't close. One of those that made you cringe. No argument from the bench.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Officiated my final high school varsity football game of the season last night, Friday Night Lights—Maryland Eastern Shore style. I had a fun season but since I am a first year ref, I won’t be doing any playoff games this year. As an umpire, I only got knocked on my butt once all season for which I am thankful.

Last night was eventful. Rivalry game between two teams who don’t like each other. It was a runaway—28-0 at the half and per association rules we were winding clock once it got 35-0. Second half got a little ugly. Lots of chippy stuff, including a punch that missed, near fight with a player ejected for leaving the bench, and lots of chirping. My military background came in handy dealing with a bunch of unruly teenagers since as umpire I am right in the middle of every play. After the 4-flag near donnybrook things calmed down enough to run the clock out and get the he!! off the field. Four law enforcement officers made their presence known. BTW, it was Homecoming for the team that got waxed 49-0.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TUPF wrote:Officiated my final high school varsity football game of the season last night, Friday Night Lights—Maryland Eastern Shore style. I had a fun season but since I am a first year ref, I won’t be doing any playoff games this year. As an umpire, I only got knocked on my butt once all season for which I am thankful.

Last night was eventful. Rivalry game between two teams who don’t like each other. It was a runaway—28-0 at the half and per association rules we were winding clock once it got 35-0. Second half got a little ugly. Lots of chippy stuff, including a punch that missed, near fight with a player ejected for leaving the bench, and lots of chirping. My military background came in handy dealing with a bunch of unruly teenagers since as umpire I am right in the middle of every play. After the 4-flag near donnybrook things calmed down enough to run the clock out and get the he!! off the field. Four law enforcement officers made their presence known. BTW, it was Homecoming for the team that got waxed 49-0.
So it was like being at Tulane for homecoming, watching the home team lose :?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson