That didn't take long (Lindsey Scott)

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
long green
Cornerstone

That didn't take long (Lindsey Scott)

Post by long green »

He is transferring from LSU.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: That didn't take long (Lindsey Scott)

Post by Poseidon »

Yep. We finished second in his recruiting. Now we have what, 5 Qbs on scholly. Good luck with that. I think he can still enroll wherever he goes for the fall. So we should know where he ends up pretty quickly.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Poseidon wrote:Yep. We finished second in his recruiting. Now we have what, 5 Qbs on scholly. Good luck with that. I think he can still enroll wherever he goes for the fall. So we should know where he ends up pretty quickly.
Perhaps Tulane was silver medalist then perhaps not. He may do a Banks and go to JC where he can play this year and keep his powder dry as to where he transfers. Otherwise he has to make final decision in a week.

Yes even with five QBs, Fritz would take him in a second.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

This situation is an abject lesson for a lot of LA recruits: it is most important to PLAY, wherever you go, than to just be on the team in a BIG conference. IF Oregon does what we think he will do at LSU (lose), then we can use this lesson over and over against him. Obviously, we need to get our ship in order, too, but what an effective recruiting tool.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Baywave1 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:Yep. We finished second in his recruiting. Now we have what, 5 Qbs on scholly. Good luck with that. I think he can still enroll wherever he goes for the fall. So we should know where he ends up pretty quickly.
Perhaps Tulane was silver medalist then perhaps not. He may do a Banks and go to JC where he can play this year and keep his powder dry as to where he transfers. Otherwise he has to make final decision in a week.

I guess he could go to a a school with a quarter system and not have to decide until late September to make his transfer effective this year but that would mean missing another three or four weeks of practice.

Here's the deal if he does not go to FCS or lower route allowing him to play this year. He will have gone from Dec 2015 to Sept 2018 without facing real game situations and live competition. (You can beat the drum for scout team benefits all you want.) The only analogy are the BYU guys who go on mission. Other than being bigger and older, it doesn't really help. If it did, BYU would be top ten every year.

Also FWIW, a Zachary classmate of him told me he is really only 5'9". He needs to play in the right system if true.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Baywave1 wrote:

Do we know for a fact that Fritz would take him without a second thought? I'm not saying he wouldn't, I'm just wondering if he would. To me, it depends more on Khalil McClain and Dane Ledford than it does on Jonathan Banks. Fritz and Ruse have more up close time with the former two than they do with Scott (obviously). If by now they have a strong opinion that one of those guys will be a winning QB they might not have to take Scott on.

I heard that we did not finish second for him. I heard he liked Maryland as his runner-up. Btw, I think the JUCO idea you float is the smart thing for him to do.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

LG, Only my SWAG. However looking at GC now being 5th string and Fritz only having about 81 players currently on scholarship, he'll be happy to have a very talented athlete for practice purposes now and then sort it all out come December. This is an empty seat on the airplane stuff. Unless LS goes JC route (which I suspect he will do), he is almost certainly stuck with whatever FBS team he signs with. I'd take a flyer to lock in him so to speak. Maybe he does end up as a WR or DB regardless of where transfers to.

Again only my SWAG.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

If he's truly 5'-9" that may be a problem. WF clearly prefers the big, strong QB's who can run the ball.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

He wanted Scott & another short guy badly that first class. He is not targeting big guys only.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

There's talk of him going to JC. However if he did it would be to play this year and this year only. The problem I see with that is it is now August 15th. JCs are in the middle of their camps. I don't think it would be good form for a decent JC to take him in the middle or end of camp and insert him. I wouldn't want to go to a JC that was that desperate(bad) if I were him. I'm betting on him enrolling at a FBS school.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

If he goes juco I'd suspect it would cause credit transfer impediments to the point where it would be less likely we'd get him...

To those who have seen him, would he be able to be used as an "athlete" and not just a QB? I'm going back to my thoughts from a while ago where we could have the threat of three or even four guys on the field (QB, RBs, WRs) who would all be a threat to stop and throw if the defense bites on the run. Who knows, that could be the "next big thing" in college offensive evolution. The "new offensive scheme no one is prepared for" concept worked for us 20 years ago.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote:If he goes juco I'd suspect it would cause credit transfer impediments to the point where it would be less likely we'd get him...

To those who have seen him, would he be able to be used as an "athlete" and not just a QB? I'm going back to my thoughts from a while ago where we could have the threat of three or even four guys on the field (QB, RBs, WRs) who would all be a threat to stop and throw if the defense bites on the run. Who knows, that could be the "next big thing" in college offensive evolution. The "new offensive scheme no one is prepared for" concept worked for us 20 years ago.
Was that really 20 years ago...... :cry: :(
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Scott was a good enough HS student that Harvard recruited him hard. He has perhaps four semesters of four-year college on his transcript and I would imagine he did pretty well. If he goes the JUCO route he'll probably only be there for one semester. I'd imagine he'll have fewer credit transfer problems than the three JUCO players we brought in in the last class.

If I'm the coaches I'd absolutely contact him but I'd want him to go JUCO while I figure out what I've got at QB already on campus. If the returns this season from the playing field and the practice field are good enough we could and should wish him well and let him go.

...and it's done. He's going to the original Last Chance U. I don't think this story is over as far as Tulane goes but I hope it's nearly over.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

long green wrote:Scott was a good enough HS student that Harvard recruited him hard. He has perhaps four semesters of four-year college on his transcript and I would imagine he did pretty well. If he goes the JUCO route he'll probably only be there for one semester. I'd imagine he'll have fewer credit transfer problems than the three JUCO players we brought in in the last class.

If I'm the coaches I'd absolutely contact him but I'd want him to go JUCO while I figure out what I've got at QB already on campus. If the returns this season from the playing field and the practice field are good enough we could and should wish him well and let him go.

...and it's done. He's going to the original Last Chance U. I don't think this story is over as far as Tulane goes but I hope it's nearly over.
Story here -
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... ce.html?98
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

from Harvard-Tulane to East Coast Mississippi JC. Wow, that's a steep drop. I wish him well and good luck.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

GreenieBacker wrote:from Harvard-Tulane to East Coast Mississippi JC. Wow, that's a steep drop. I wish him well and good luck.
I think he is accepting a teaching position for the duration.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
LondonWave
Coach Level

Post by LondonWave »

GreenieBacker wrote:from Harvard-Tulane to East Coast Mississippi JC. Wow, that's a steep drop. I wish him well and good luck.
I wonder if Harvard has ever signed an EMCC football player.

Having watched Last Chance U (and attending a football game there last year), I'm not sure how a Harvard qualified student athlete could survive a semester at EMCC without wanting to blow his brains out.
greenguy
Riptide Level

Post by greenguy »

LondonWave wrote:

Having watched Last Chance U (and attending a football game there last year), I'm not sure how a Harvard qualified student athlete could survive a semester at EMCC without wanting to blow his brains out.
EMCC is closer to a work-release program for football players than an actual college.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

greenguy wrote:
LondonWave wrote:

EMCC is closer to a work-release program for football players than an actual college.
At least it gives him a chance to work with some good college-level players, so that he can stay sharper while "sitting out."
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Roller wrote:
greenguy wrote:
LondonWave wrote:

At least it gives him a chance to work with some good college-level players, so that he can stay sharper while "sitting out."
The grading curve may help other players.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

He had his chance to play for the Wave. Bye.