The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:55 pm 
Emerald Circle

And Bama will reap the benefits.

From our friends at ESPN

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -much-else

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:43 pm 
Coach Level

And yet LSU, who took a 30 point beat down against the only decent team they've played so far remains ranked.

They'll likely get back into the top 20 by beating Syracuse and Troy at home.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:42 pm 
Regent's Circle

MattK wrote:
And yet LSU, who took a 30 point beat down against the only decent team they've played so far remains ranked.

They'll likely get back into the top 20 by beating Syracuse and Troy at home.

That is assuming that they will beat Syracuse and Troy at home...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:33 pm 
Coach Level

I'm assuming that they're o-line will allow them to run the ball at will against both of those teams so they'll win fairly handily.

I feel like I've seen this season before from them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:19 am 
Coach Level

Troy could be tricky. It should be close. They took NC champion Clemson to the wire last year. http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400869430

Their loss this year was a respectable one at Boise State.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:20 pm 
Riptide Level

This is what happens when a conference stops oversigning recruits.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:43 am 
Regent's Circle

It is imperative that we get to a Bowl game this season while one of our neighbors might not be able to scratch out 6 wins.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:33 am 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
Troy could be tricky. It should be close. They took NC champion Clemson to the wire last year. http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400869430

Their loss this year was a respectable one at Boise State.

You were right! Like you, I felt Troy would give them a close game but like Matt, I figured Lou's lines would wear them down late.

Troy has played them well the past 3 times now. Last time they lead 31-3 in the 4th in 2011 before lsu's "biggest comeback ever".

The importance of line play shows. Now that lsu hasn't been getting the top rated linemen they are starting to look like most ordinary teams.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

Hey guys! I've been out of the loop for q bit. What happened in the LSU-Troy game last night?

I guess I have to forget about O coaching LSU past 2018.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
Hey guys! I've been out of the loop for q bit. What happened in the LSU-Troy game last night?

I guess I have to forget about O coaching LSU past 2018.

To answer your question, I'll repeat a text my cousin sent to me last night: "We used to say that any idiot could win 8 games a year at lsu. We were wrong" :-D

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:59 pm 
Emerald Circle

Paid Troy 1M to play the role of patsy for Homecoming :lol:

Still I was hoping Orgeron would stick around for at least 3 years, doesn’t look like it now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:42 pm 
Regent's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
Paid Troy 1M to play the role of patsy for Homecoming :lol:

Still I was hoping Orgeron would stick around for at least 3 years, doesn’t look like it now.

As mentioned in another thread - Orgeron's buyout after 1 year is $12MM. It decreases each year there after. Nice negotiation by the AD, or maybe he gets a percentage ...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:35 pm 
Emerald Circle

Seen on a Tulane football Facebook post last night:
Butch Jones:"I'm gonna be the first SEC coach fired this year."
Ed Orgeron: "Hold my beer."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:57 pm 
Emerald Circle

not like Troy got lucky either. LSU almost pulled it out at the end, but Troy was in control most of game. their stands were empty :mrgreen:

enjoy the 12 million dollar buy out

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:44 pm 
Emerald Circle

I still think Orgeron will get another year, even if they miss a bowl (which is a possibility, though I bet they do make a bowl).

I think the person to feel the immediate axe MIGHT be Joe Aleva. And that is maybe more important (to us). Could a new AD give us some chance of getting a deal done to play at least somewhat regularly in football? Troy Dannen is on the record of being highly interested. Or, at least, could it helps us at least get some recourse for the one game they still owe us? What about a weekend baseball series? Resumption of MBB games?

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:20 pm 
Regent's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
I still think Orgeron will get another year, even if they miss a bowl (which is a possibility, though I bet they do make a bowl).

I think the person to feel the immediate axe MIGHT be Joe Aleva. And that is maybe more important (to us). Could a new AD give us some chance of getting a deal done to play at least somewhat regularly in football? Troy Dannen is on the record of being highly interested. Or, at least, could it helps us at least get some recourse for the one game they still owe us? What about a weekend baseball series? Resumption of MBB games?

Yeah, what's the buyout for the AD? Ha! Of course he gets another year. $12MM is a big pill to swallow. Sure lsu has the alums to fork it up, but throwing 12 million away on an athletic donation might give your CPA heartburn ....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:38 am 
Navigator Level

Yankeewave wrote:
their stands were empty

One of the great myths: lsu has great fans.
They have a very high percentage that are obnoxious, delusional, crude, drunkard, racist, fair weather quitters.
My latest personal example: I went to the Lambeau Field game v Wisconsin last year on a combo golf/Lambeau trip. If you heard what the lsu scum were screaming as their "boy" was throwing the game away it would make you sick.
Ownership of an RV and the ability to cook a good gumbo after drinking a handle of Old Charter does not qualify you as a good fan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:42 am 
Emerald Circle

some LSU numbnut has started a Go Fund Me campaign to raise the $12M needed for a buy out. :lol:

so much for giving your coach a chance to turn things around.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:25 am 
Emerald Circle

1401973 wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:
their stands were empty

One of the great myths: lsu has great fans.
They have a very high percentage that are obnoxious, delusional, crude, drunkard, racist, fair weather quitters.
My latest personal example: I went to the Lambeau Field game v Wisconsin last year on a combo golf/Lambeau trip. If you heard what the lsu scum were screaming as their "boy" was throwing the game away it would make you sick.
Ownership of an RV and the ability to cook a good gumbo after drinking a handle of Old Charter does not qualify you as a good fan.

I don't disagree with this characterization but the overmonetization and growth obsession of college football has done this to many fanbases. The fans of all but two or three programs are asked to spend too much for too little and even those fans are spending way too much. You think LSU fans are coarse and ungenerous bastards? Wait until Saban's replacement at Alabama demonstrates that he is not Nick Saban.

GreenieBacker wrote:
some LSU numbnut has started a Go Fund Me campaign to raise the $12M needed for a buy out. :lol:

now the story is that his buyout is $12 million minus what he has "earned" as LSU HC. So he'll cost them about $8.5 after this season and a little over $5 million after next season. That's not really good news. It means that LSU has a coach that everyone knows will be fired after the 2018 season at the latest. From this moment he won't be able to recruit the best of the blue chip recruits unless they just really want to be at LSU.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 am 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:

He already turned it around. I think that's the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:12 pm 
Emerald Circle

Do yourself a favor, put "Ed Orgeron meme" into Google, select "images", and enjoy the laughs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:13 am 
President's Circle

Here in living color is an example that yes players do read message boards and social media (in this case Tiger Droppings) and listen to sports talk radio. Sorry but I've never gotten those here who maintain with a straight face in this connected world that players only ignore or "laugh" at this stuff.

Again what is said on these boards is not occurring in a vacuum. It does have an effect. Just another reminder of it to consider before we hit submit button.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... e10eb.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:10 am 
Emerald Circle

People should think about what they post before going overboard in tone or language or emotion. So I agree to that point. But the statement by the LSU player you cite is a poor example. LSU fans should be angry right now. They are only wrong because they should demand the head of the athletic director who inflicted this horror show on them. Hell, LSU fans should be panicking right now. If Ed Orgeron gets a second year at LSU it could take them three or four years to get over it IF they make a good hire.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:38 am 
Coach Level

long green wrote:
They are only wrong because they should demand the head of the athletic director who inflicted this horror show on them. H

How did he agree to that much of a buyout? There's no way Orgeron was passing on the job. There's little chance that he'd leave for somewhere else if successful, and if that became a concern, then increase his salary and add a buyout. So, LSU agreed to an absurd severance package and that's it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:41 am 
Regent's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
Here in living color is an example that yes players do read message boards and social media (in this case Tiger Droppings) and listen to sports talk radio. Sorry but I've never gotten those here who maintain with a straight face in this connected world that players only ignore or "laugh" at this stuff.

Again what is said on these boards is not occurring in a vacuum. It does have an effect. Just another reminder of it to consider before we hit submit button.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... e10eb.html

Maybe you linked the wrong article to make that point? There's literally nothing in that article that indicates players do any of those things.