Game on...NHL '17-'18

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: Game on...NHL '17-'18

Post by GretnaGrn »

Sad story, but glad he was able to get such a warm sendoff.

https://deadspin.com/bryan-bickell-reti ... 1819201296
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:Mic is dropped
Raise that banner!
Double digits on the Pens. Somebody's sure silent today.
Sorry I have been so silent today. I have been busy vacationing in Northwestern Wyoming.

The two things I have learned about being a hockey fan are: 1) A team wins the Cup in June. A team doesn't win the Cup in October. And yea, from what I heard last night (no TV for that one in Jackson) is that the Pens played as badly as they can play and the Hawks took advantage. Pens were also playing on an opponent's ice in their first game of the season after travelling to play a 2nd game in two days. No excuses however. The Hawks were the better team last night. Plus maybe they were determined to erase the memory of the last 4 games they played in '16-'17.

'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:Mic is dropped
Raise that banner!
Double digits on the Pens. Somebody's sure silent today.
Sorry I have been so silent today. I have been busy vacationing in Northwestern Wyoming.

The two things I have learned about being a hockey fan are: 1) A team wins the Cup in June. A team doesn't win the Cup in October. And yea, from what I heard last night (no TV for that one in Jackson) is that the Pens played as badly as they can play and the Hawks took advantage. Pens were also playing on an opponent's ice in their first game of the season after travelling to play a 2nd game in two days. No excuses however. The Hawks were the better team last night. Plus maybe they were determined to erase the memory of the last 4 games they played in '16-'17.

'54
The Hawks scored double digits last night.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:The Hawks scored double digits last night.
it's funny.. go to ESPN and try to find the box score or recap for that game and it doesn't exist... it's as if ESPN doesn't want people to know it happened
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
it's funny.. go to ESPN and try to find the box score or recap for that game and it doesn't exist... it's as if ESPN doesn't want people to know it happened
It broke the scoreboard, that's why
#cousins don't count
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
It broke the scoreboard, that's why

You might be right windy. At least the part of the scoreboard that Chicago is on. They have been outscored since that game. Their record is still pretty good though.

Fan since '54

aka

Big Easy Pens Fan
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

As the calendar has turned to December, a few things have changed in the landscape of the NHL. First the Vegas Golden Knights. A new franchise is not supposed to be one with a winning record at this point (about 30% through) in the schedule. Tell that to Vegas. Only time will tell if they maintain their pace through 82 games. The Bolts are probably the best team in the league as of this date. At least their record shows that. Several teams are not up to projected status. Pens, Habs and Oilers among those who are underperforming as of now. Others have looked to be improved over last year, Isles, Maple Leafs, and St Louis in that group. A long way to when playoff sports are finally sorted out in early April.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Since it is exactly two months (04/11/18) from the start of the NHL playoffs, I thought I'd post this:

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/nhlpla ... edule.html

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Well, we learned last night the the Penguins are "all-in" (a World Series of Poker/Texas hold-em play) for attempting to get a 3-peat. Gotta strike while the iron is hot. Acquired Derrick Brassard from the Senators in a 3-team trade with Vegas. Pretty complicated trade. In fact the NHL nixed the trade at first, about 3PM because of cap issues, so the teams had to go back to the table to get it done. The trade was finalized and announced at 9:15 ET last night.

Let's Go Pens

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Check it out. Today's image on the Bing homepage is of emperor penguins in Antarctica. :) Funny that this image comes up just as the '17-'18 NHL playoffs are about to begin. Is it a sign?

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Check it out. Today's image on the Bing homepage is of emperor penguins in Antarctica. :) Funny that this image comes up just as the '17-'18 NHL playoffs are about to begin. Is it a sign?

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Some might call it good juju.
Hey windy, how bout them Hawks?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:Check it out. Today's image on the Bing homepage is of emperor penguins in Antarctica. :) Funny that this image comes up just as the '17-'18 NHL playoffs are about to begin. Is it a sign?

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Missing the playoffs. Hawks in six was months not games evidently
#cousins don't count
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
I just took another look at that image on the Bing homepage. I noticed that there are 14 penguins in that image. Well it may be a sign alright, but not necessarily a good one...takes 16 wins to get the Cup. :roll:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
I just took another look at that image on the Bing homepage. I noticed that there are 14 penguins in that image. Well it may be a sign alright, but not necessarily a good one...takes 16 wins to get the Cup. :roll:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
and it takes 15 skaters to play the game (ignoring the goalie).
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
and it takes 15 skaters to play the game (ignoring the goalie).
Uh ... uh.... uh...?????
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

I was going to say top 3 lines plus top two defensive pairings plus goalie is 14. No idea where roller was going with that
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

gerryb323 wrote:I was going to say top 3 lines plus top two defensive pairings plus goalie is 14. No idea where roller was going with that
Oops. I meant to say 16 (echoing '54's number), not 15. I was counting 4 attacking lines and 2 defense lines, but I'm no hockey expert anyhow.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Preds clinch the President's Cup, which to me is a more difficult thing to do than win the Stanley Cup. Too bad it isn't celebrated as such. They should be well set up for a deep run. Time to bring Tennessee that first pro-sports title!
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Preds clinch the President's Cup, which to me is a more difficult thing to do than win the Stanley Cup. Too bad it isn't celebrated as such. They should be well set up for a deep run. Time to bring Tennessee that first pro-sports title!
No doubt winning the President's Cup is not easy to win. And it is a great accomplishment. But it's not Lord Stanley. In fact I had to search the net to find out what it actually looked like. Below is some info about the trophy, which didn't come into being until the '85-'86 season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidents%27_Trophy

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

A funny thing happened to me when I went to the bank the other day. I'm done with my chores there and am getting in my car and the guy getting out of his car next to mine has a Vegas Golden Knights hat on. I remarked about his lid and asked him if he was a fan. He said that he was not but he went to Vegas after the mass shooting to help out and they gave him the hat while he was there as a token of appreciation.

BTW, my wife totally likes Las Vegas and I was looking into the possiblilty of going there when the Pens were playing. Not gonna happen. Vegas has, by far, the most expensive tickets in the NHL.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Fan Since '54 wrote:A funny thing happened to me when I went to the bank the other day. I'm done with my chores there and am getting in my car and the guy getting out of his car next to mine has a Vegas Golden Knights hat on. I remarked about his lid and asked him if he was a fan. He said that he was not but he went to Vegas after the mass shooting to help out and they gave him the hat while he was there as a token of appreciation.

BTW, my wife totally likes Las Vegas and I was looking into the possiblilty of going there when the Pens were playing. Not gonna happen. Vegas has, by far, the most expensive tickets in the NHL.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
But their ice crew is probably ridiculous
#cousins don't count
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:A funny thing happened to me when I went to the bank the other day. I'm done with my chores there and am getting in my car and the guy getting out of his car next to mine has a Vegas Golden Knights hat on. I remarked about his lid and asked him if he was a fan. He said that he was not but he went to Vegas after the mass shooting to help out and they gave him the hat while he was there as a token of appreciation.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
But their ice crew is probably ridiculous
I am unable to verify this. I searched on Bing and there were very few images of the Vegas Ice Crew, and the ones they did have did not, in any way, come up to your expectations. :roll:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan