Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:07 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3271
Location: Wichita
Johnny Mac wrote:
long green wrote:
I think UL's impending killer probation (I feel the NCAA will be too squeamish to give the DP)



I still maintain since the probation from the stripper scandal is so fresh that they get a 2 year program "death penalty"... they allow players to transfer (if they desire) with no sitting out a year... they will allow a new coaching staff to begin recruiting players, including transfers, after the first year of the penalty so guys can be "redshirt freshmen" or immediately eligible when the program resumes.

Do we still have a spot open?

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:15 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9183
windywave wrote:
Big winner in all this .... Big Baller brand

Lol, as always!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:48 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 5818
Location: Dripping Springs
It's tough when you lose your parking spot at the sorority house ... well maybe.

https://twitter.com/OnionSports/status/913123965824094208


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:44 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19057
Location: Cincinnati, OH
windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Anyone else besides me watching this unfolding, and thinking about Dunleavy's somewhat brash interview last summer (2016, not this past) where he basically said all the other top coaches are cheating to get the top recruits, but we don't have to because he's got such great connections around the world? And also thinking about how we are, in fact, mainly focusing on foreign players (who presumably aren't as tied-down to shoe company/AAU dealings)?

If Dunleavy's smart (cheap though this move might be), he talks to every sports-talk-radio show he can in the next few days and basically says "see, I told you so... and there's more of them if you keep digging." Not only would that boldly state "go ahead and investigate us, we're clean", but it sends a subconscious message to those top players we're after (who are also being recruited by the big schools) that maybe, just maybe, Tulane is a safe choice to pick because those other schools might end up on probation while they're there.

I like it, Pete. If he were to do something like this, would he be blackballed by the coaching equivalent of the Blue Line, or is he in such a place in his career where he could give a cr@p if they do?
He's rich and a veteran already and his personality seems to have a je ne sais qui of frick you. I don't think he would care and more important may take them on just because he can.

That's exactly what I'm hoping happens here. Surely one of the local radio talking heads has to be wanting to get him on the phone to get his thoughts on this whole thing, right? Let 'em have it, Mike!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:46 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19057
Location: Cincinnati, OH
ml wave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
I guess no one read my post? :-D

it was not really a surprise to the gaggle of sports reporters camped out at Loserville today. More heads, many more heads will roll before this is over. Oh, and the buyout mud fight about to ensue should be popcorn worthy.

edit- Oh, and the Loserville Prez is an interim Prez. Not even the permanent guy.

Saw a fair amount of speculation yesterday that Petrino would also get caught up in this house cleaning...

A co-worker's young brother was texting him the best posts from some reddit page about the scandal and one guy said, "wait, this means Petrino is unsupervised! Somebody get eyes on him, stat!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:53 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17671
Location: Chicago
sr wrote:
It's tough when you lose your parking spot at the sorority house ... well maybe.

https://twitter.com/OnionSports/status/913123965824094208


I don't get the joke


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:52 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 4971
WSJ quotes Gabe Feldman of Tulane Law School that what was done may be violation of NCAA regs but not necessarily federal law. Interesting. So some involved may do no legal hangout and fight the criminal accusations.

Warning may be behind a pay wall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/probe-into ... 1506553296


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:25 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 6886
Location: Wisconsin
Johnny Mac wrote:
long green wrote:
I think UL's impending killer probation (I feel the NCAA will be too squeamish to give the DP)



I still maintain since the probation from the stripper scandal is so fresh that they get a 2 year program "death penalty"... they allow players to transfer (if they desire) with no sitting out a year... they will allow a new coaching staff to begin recruiting players, including transfers, after the first year of the penalty so guys can be "redshirt freshmen" or immediately eligible when the program resumes.

Pretty much sounds too logical !! :green wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:56 pm 
Offline
Head Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:16 am
Posts: 63
Well at least we can say that LSU is not involved in this....b/c if they were they obviously found a way to still suck at basketball. :-)

_________________
You're killin' me Smalls!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:41 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3271
Location: Wichita
BACONWAVE wrote:
Well at least we can say that LSU is not involved in this....b/c if they were they obviously found a way to still suck at basketball. :-)

I'd say their recent recruiting success despite sucking might indicate otherwise...

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:25 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 4971
Key in Pitino case is whether he is the unnamed Louisville coach who was directly involved with Adidas exec in arranging payments to Bowen's family to have him come to Louisville. Those conversations were wiretapped by FBI. Some news reports say yes. Others say not determined. If yes then of course Pitino has no plausible deniability he can claim. (I guess strippers case was "implausible deniability?? :mrgreen: )

I think it's pretty clear that it's yes because he got canned so fast and he dragged Jurich down with him. Not even UL could stomach this.

I assume the aggravating factor in all this was the presser Pitino held after the Bowen commitment where he said he was the luckiest man alive and UL literally had to spend "0 dollars" to land a top recruit which had never occurred in his forty years of coaching. I guess he left out the point that it was Adidas that was the bag man here.

Again if yes, it's amazing the size of the brass cujones on these egos. Pitino couldn't just grease the sleazy skids to get Bowen, he had to brag about being the luckiest man alive about how fortune just fell in his lap. Homer had it right 3000 years ago. Nemesis always stalks and eventually captures hubris.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:07 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17671
Location: Chicago
Down goes Nike


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:14 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19366
Location: New Orleans
Rick Pitino

"These allegations come as a complete shock to me," Pitino said. "If true, I agree with the U.S. Attorney's Office that these third-party schemes, initiated by a few bad actors, operated to commit a fraud on the impacted universities and their basketball programs, including the University of Louisville. Our fans and supporters deserve better, and I am committed to taking whatever steps are needed to ensure those responsible are held accountable."

I'm Shocked I tell Ya' SHOCKED!

Like I said, brass balls and completely mercenary, he doesn't care who he throws overboard to save his @ss.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:13 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9183
Baywave1 wrote:
WSJ quotes Gabe Feldman of Tulane Law School that what was done may be violation of NCAA regs but not necessarily federal law. Interesting. So some involved may do no legal hangout and fight the criminal accusations.

Warning may be behind a pay wall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/probe-into ... 1506553296

That's what I was thinking...what law is broken if Adidas pays a kid to go to a school? Wonder if they are claiming the income?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:20 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:29 pm
Posts: 1893
Location: Broadmoor
A poster on the AAC Board said "It all started when UL put teeth on a bird....."

Why do I crack up every time I think about that?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:33 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19366
Location: New Orleans
as ml wrote, in the end the criminal(?) charges may "only" involve unreported income to the IRS. Still, what fun reading its been!

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:48 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9183
GreenieBacker wrote:
as ml wrote, in the end the criminal(?) charges may "only" involve unreported income to the IRS. Still, what fun reading its been!

Lucky for this Bowen kid he got his $ this year...still plenty of time to report it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:09 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 3752
ml wave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
as ml wrote, in the end the criminal(?) charges may "only" involve unreported income to the IRS. Still, what fun reading its been!

Lucky for this Bowen kid he got his $ this year...still plenty of time to report it!


As the recipient, I think a good lawyer for make the argument that is a gift and therefore not taxable income.

Coaches getting bribed should be reporting it as income as I don't think you can make the same argument.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:03 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 6649
Location: Charlotte
one of my friends in Atlanta who follows this kinda crap a little too religiously quoted a chart he saw recently that showed that out of the top 50 ranked guys over the past 5 recruiting classes, 235 out of 250 signed with a college sponsored by the same shoe company as their AAU team.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:09 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17671
Location: Chicago
NJwave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
as ml wrote, in the end the criminal(?) charges may "only" involve unreported income to the IRS. Still, what fun reading its been!

Lucky for this Bowen kid he got his $ this year...still plenty of time to report it!


As the recipient, I think a good lawyer for make the argument that is a gift and therefore not taxable income.

Coaches getting bribed should be reporting it as income as I don't think you can make the same argument.


14K limit and arguing that there was no quid pro quo is specious


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:02 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 3752
windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
as ml wrote, in the end the criminal(?) charges may "only" involve unreported income to the IRS. Still, what fun reading its been!

Lucky for this Bowen kid he got his $ this year...still plenty of time to report it!


As the recipient, I think a good lawyer for make the argument that is a gift and therefore not taxable income.

Coaches getting bribed should be reporting it as income as I don't think you can make the same argument.


14K limit and arguing that there was no quid pro quo is specious


14K is for person making the gift. Anything above is greater then annual exclusion and the person making the gift uses up some of their lifetime exclusion. Recipient of a gift does not pay taxes.

I agree on your second point. Is it a gift or compensation for doing something (playing basketball at Louisville)?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:25 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 2720
Location: Bloomington IN
Or is it payment for doing business with a particular financial adviser; and/or entering into a marketing arrangement with a particular shoe company to the exclusion of all other financial advisers and sports apparel companies. No kid has been indicted. The criminal act is an asst. coach taking money (and passing some of it on) and the shoe company or other third parties giving a bribe to ensure it gets business. Then, the shoe company and others cook the books to hide the real purpose of the payments, i.e., fraud.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:34 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 2720
Location: Bloomington IN
Washington Post now says Pitino under criminal investigation as well. Guess it was obvious that shoe was gonna drop.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... becf32257d


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:56 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:49 pm
Posts: 3238
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
windywave wrote:
Down goes Nike


To my fallen homie Oregon...

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:47 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17671
Location: Chicago
NJwave wrote:
windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
as ml wrote, in the end the criminal(?) charges may "only" involve unreported income to the IRS. Still, what fun reading its been!

Lucky for this Bowen kid he got his $ this year...still plenty of time to report it!


As the recipient, I think a good lawyer for make the argument that is a gift and therefore not taxable income.

Coaches getting bribed should be reporting it as income as I don't think you can make the same argument.


14K limit and arguing that there was no quid pro quo is specious


14K is for person making the gift. Anything above is greater then annual exclusion and the person making the gift uses up some of their lifetime exclusion. Recipient of a gift does not pay taxes.

I agree on your second point. Is it a gift or compensation for doing something (playing basketball at Louisville)?


So if a company gifted me 100K to take my talents there, I could argue it wasn't a payment?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SlidellWave and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group