Coaching Carousel 2017-18

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel 2017-18

Post by Rotorooter »

greenguy wrote:
long green wrote:6-6 after tomorrow. FSU rescheduled their canceled game with ULM. I hope ULM asked for and got some extra $. FSU would have been 9-3 or better if their starting QB had played the whole year.

Remember that the reported details almost always lag behind the actual numbers. A&M just cares about the reported numbers that everyone will repeat.

on edit: FSU will be 6-6 but Fisher will remain 5-6 for 2017 as he is not coaching the Noles tomorrow.
Tough to justify paying Saban money to a coach whose team quit so easily. Reference Boston College 35 - FSU 3. They barely managed to come out of the locker room after halftime.
I happened to watch that game for some reason. BC not only beat FSU, they beat them up. I'll bet they had over 250 yards. rushing in that game, mostly by this freshman #5 who just ran over people. It was impressive. You could see that BC just broke FSU's will to play.

It will be interesting to see how Jimbo does at TAMU. My old roommate is an Aggie and is stoked (I kidded him that they had to hire a West Virginia boy to come fix a Texas football program). It is the first time a coach who won a National Championship at one school got hired immediately to coach at another. Anyway, I guess it's the recruiter that is making Jimbo's talent pool so rich. If he comes with Jimbo, look out. But I do not believe Jimbo will be as successful as his paycheck says he will be and TAMU will be disappointed.
Plan your work, work your plan.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Rotorooter wrote:
greenguy wrote:
long green wrote:6-6 after tomorrow. FSU rescheduled their canceled game with ULM. I hope ULM asked for and got some extra $. FSU would have been 9-3 or better if their starting QB had played the whole year.

Remember that the reported details almost always lag behind the actual numbers. A&M just cares about the reported numbers that everyone will repeat.

on edit: FSU will be 6-6 but Fisher will remain 5-6 for 2017 as he is not coaching the Noles tomorrow.
Tough to justify paying Saban money to a coach whose team quit so easily. Reference Boston College 35 - FSU 3. They barely managed to come out of the locker room after halftime.
I happened to watch that game for some reason. BC not only beat FSU, they beat them up. I'll bet they had over 250 yards. rushing in that game, mostly by this freshman #5 who just ran over people. It was impressive. You could see that BC just broke FSU's will to play.

It will be interesting to see how Jimbo does at TAMU. My old roommate is an Aggie and is stoked (I kidded him that they had to hire a West Virginia boy to come fix a Texas football program). It is the first time a coach who won a National Championship at one school got hired immediately to coach at another. Anyway, I guess it's the recruiter that is making Jimbo's talent pool so rich. If he comes with Jimbo, look out. But I do not believe Jimbo will be as successful as his paycheck says he will be and TAMU will be disappointed.
If you exclude Johnny Majors
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Rotorooter wrote:But I do not believe Jimbo will be as successful as his paycheck says he will be and TAMU will be disappointed.
What would qualify for 'as successful as his paycheck says'? Would 2 national titles over 10 years do it or would he need to win 3?

Saban and Meyer are the only active coaches with more than 1. Swinney could join them if they repeat. But it certainly isn't going to help Jimbo's quest to win multiple titles in 10 years if Swinney has turned Clemson into a perenniel contender along with Alabama and Ohio St.

It's basically not possible for him to be as successful as his paycheck. I also don't see how they can fire him basically ever if the $75MM guarantee number is accurate.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Huddy out at ULL
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

How bad could things be that you fire the only unqualified success you ever had as a major college? Five bowls in seven years.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
Victory is never permanent
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Rotorooter wrote:
greenguy wrote:

Jimbo looks like a train wreck. Looks like he has not slept in weeks.

It was reported in Houston that Jimbo really regretted the fact he did not take the LSU job. He was trying to save his marriage and decided that would best be done by staying at FSU. Once the marriage dissolved, he was hoping Malzahn would lose against Alabama and bolt for Arkansas. Once that didn’t happen, he settled on A&M. There was also the medical concerns with his son. I think this a very risky move for A&M. They are getting a very emotionally fractured man. One thing for sure, he wanted out of FSU and the reasons for that have yet to really surface.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

UCF said to be targeting Kevin Sumlin
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

long green wrote:Mike Leach is now considered a real possibility at Tenn.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

OGSB wrote:UCF said to be targeting Kevin Sumlin
No surprise. It worked for USF.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

if Willie Taggart leaves Oregon for FSU that would mean he was there one whole year :shock:
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

GreenieBacker wrote:if Willie Taggart leaves Oregon for FSU that would mean he was there one whole year :shock:
We laugh about "west coast" thing. But cross the Rockies and it really is different out there culturally. That's why it was no surprise Chip Kelly chose UCLA over Florida and Taggert might choose to return to his home state of Florida.

What would be more interesting is if Oregon would make a last second dash at Kelly to flip him from UCLA? I doubt it but PK money could matter here.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

The Vol nation scuttlebutt has Fulmer looking at several people, including the DC at Clemson, as well as J. Gruden. Oh yes, they also mention that he is considering........ Les Miles! :twisted:
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Sumlin apparently no longer being considered by UCF.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Baywave1 wrote:...What would be more interesting is if Oregon would make a last second dash at Kelly to flip him from UCLA? I doubt it but PK money could matter here.
What is "PK money"?
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Roller wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:...What would be more interesting is if Oregon would make a last second dash at Kelly to flip him from UCLA? I doubt it but PK money could matter here.
What is "PK money"?
Phil Knight /Nike
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Ray wrote:
Roller wrote:
What is "PK money"?
Phil Knight /Nike
:coolshades: Thanks.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

UCF hire Josh Heupel to replace Scott Frost. Heupel was the OC at Missouri, who turned their season around 180 degrees after an awful 1-5 start. UCF knew they were losing their coach for weeks so they were free to work quietly to find a replacement and here's the result.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

long green wrote:UCF hire Josh Heupel to replace Scott Frost. Heupel was the OC at Missouri, who turned their season around 180 degrees after an awful 1-5 start. UCF knew they were losing their coach for weeks so they were free to work quietly to find a replacement and here's the result.
Rats for Missouri.

How many 90/200's Big 12 QBs are coaches? Off the thop of my Head... Kliff Kingsbury, Major Applewhite, Josh Heupel, Scott Frost, even Lincoln Riley started as a QB at TTU. How many SEC QB's are head coaches?
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Poseidon wrote:How many SEC QB's are head coaches?
How many SEC QBs even succeed in the NFL in the past few decades? Not a lot. Totally guessing here but probably less than the CUSA/AAC QBs we faced.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
How many SEC QBs even succeed in the NFL in the past few decades? Not a lot. Totally guessing here but probably less than the CUSA/AAC QBs we faced.
Well the Mannings, Dak, Cam, Cutler, and Stafford off the top of my head
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Well the Mannings, Dak, Cam, Cutler, and Staffordoff the top of my head
FIFY
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Y.A. Title?
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I think Windy's anti-SEC bias is shading what could be considered a successful NFL QB. I'm not going to count Cutler and Dak is still too soon to tell, but Newton and Stafford are clearly good quarterbacks unless your only measure of success is winning a Super Bowl. There are plenty of teams that wish they had them on their team.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:I think Windy's anti-SEC bias is shading what could be considered a successful NFL QB. I'm not going to count Cutler and Dak is still too soon to tell, but Newton and Stafford are clearly good quarterbacks unless your only measure of success is winning a Super Bowl. There are plenty of teams that wish they had them on their team.
I initially didn't include Cutler, but the guy's been a starter for what, 11 years now? Irregardless, can y'all think of 4 cusa/AAC guys?