Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

OGSB wrote:
That's a fast moving story. Now being reported that Schiano wants compensation for Tennessee breaking their deal. I wonder how much of this is true?

He deserves it if he signed an agreement and/or UT personnel leaked the information.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:27 pm 
Emerald Circle

1309th WAVE wrote:
Ole Miss takes the interim tag off of Matt Luke...? Quite the Orgeroning. Wonder if they're going cheap because the impending NCAA firestorm.

To be fair I think he did a good job with that dumpster fire this year. The problem with the SEC is they have all been hiring "name" coaches in an incestuous circle instead of bringing in fresh blood. Meyer, Miles, Saban (LSU era), Fulmer were all risk hires and turned out well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:46 pm 
Coach Level

windywave wrote:
1309th WAVE wrote:
Ole Miss takes the interim tag off of Matt Luke...? Quite the Orgeroning. Wonder if they're going cheap because the impending NCAA firestorm.

To be fair I think he did a good job with that dumpster fire this year. The problem with the SEC is they have all been hiring "name" coaches in an incestuous circle instead of bringing in fresh blood. Meyer, Miles, Saban (LSU era), Fulmer were all risk hires and turned out well.

Also, Ole Miss didn't can a 10 win a year coach and act like they could hire literally anyone they decided was their guy before promoting the interim guy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:20 pm 
Regent's Circle

Sumlin now toast - does Miles come back in the picture? What, just 4 sec jobs open now.

Speculative list -

Jimbo Fisher, Florida State 
Texas A&M reportedly is hot after the Florida State, and that would be a huge shakeup felt across the ACC and SEC. Fisher has compiled an 83-23 record in eight seasons with the Seminoles, including the 2013 national championship. That would be a big-time play. 

Philip Montgomery, Tulsa
The Tulsa coach has ties all over Texas, and he runs an exciting offense that puts up lots of points. He's 18-21 after his third season. Would that experience be a factor?

Blake Anderson, Arkansas State
Anderson has enjoyed an impressive stint at Arkansas State, and he played at Baylor and Sam Houston State. Anderson is going to catch on somewhere soon. The Aggies could make this happen. 

Les Miles
Could we at least entertain "Texas Les” for a minute? He obviously had success in the SEC, and the Aggies would be entertaining.
Miles can recruit in Texas, too, considering he knows the territory from his days at Oklahoma State. This hire would be an expensive hire, however, and that's risky considering Miles turned 65 this November.

Frank Wilson, UTSA
Wilson is moving up the coaching ladder, and he learned all those lessons from Miles as a top recruiter. Wilson hasn't been with the Roadrunners long, however.

Chad Morris, SMU
Morris is a Texas A&M graduate, and he has helped rebuild the SMU program with an up-tempo offense forged from his time as Clemson's offensive coordinator from 2011-14. Morris would be a good fit, but has he proven enough as a head coach?

Joe Moorhead, Penn State (OC)
Every time Penn State's offense scores a touchdown, the former Fordham coach's stock is going up. He had a 38-13 record as a head coach with the Rams from 2012-15, but most of his ties are on the East Coast. Would he fit in at College Station?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:52 am 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
OGSB wrote:
That's a fast moving story. Now being reported that Schiano wants compensation for Tennessee breaking their deal. I wonder how much of this is true?

He deserves it if he signed an agreement and/or UT personnel leaked the information.

As best I understand, they signed an agreement agreeing to agree to a contract.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:27 am 
President's Circle

UF has hired Dan Mullen of Miss St. Still 4 SEC jobs open, just a different one now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:27 am 
Emerald Circle

David Bailiff has been fired by Rice. He did his best but Rice was in an obvious death march situation. There but for the grace of God...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:32 am 
Emerald Circle

How glorious would the meltdown be in Baton Rouge the first time a Miles-led TAMU beat LSU? They probably won't hire him but the thought alone makes me smile.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:59 am 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
David Bailiff has been fired by Rice. He did his best but Rice was in an obvious death march situation. There but for the grace of God...

Replaced Graham who took them to a bowl his first season, signed a contract extension then bolted for Tulsa. If you're a Rice fan, alarm bells had to be going off when he loses his first game to Nicholls St.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

Not even getting into the "paying players" debate at the heart of this story, just scan through the tweets about the buyouts in play for the coaches recently fired. Wow.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:44 pm 
Coach Level

The Tennessee coaching search is so fun to watch. I am hoping they go hard after Kiffin and he rejects them, the meltdown would be epic (especially if he stayed at FAU).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

Tennessee has assured themselves of a meltdown no matter what they do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

SlidellWave wrote:
The Tennessee coaching search is so fun to watch. I am hoping they go hard after Kiffin and he rejects them, the meltdown would be epic (especially if he stayed at FAU).

I actually read an article that quoted someone 'close to' him as saying he'd be open to the idea.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:09 pm 
President's Circle

SlidellWave wrote:

I have to ask, why do you dislike Tennessee so much? I'm seriously curious. I grew up in TN but never, ever pulled for them until after I moved back after school and they hired Jones. I'm used to LSU hate around here, but just wondering why Tenn.? And seriously, not trying to pick a fight or anything. I'm finding the search pretty funny right now myself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:18 pm 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
SlidellWave wrote:

I have to ask, why do you dislike Tennessee so much? I'm seriously curious. I grew up in TN but never, ever pulled for them until after I moved back after school and they hired Jones. I'm used to LSU hate around here, but just wondering why Tenn.? And seriously, not trying to pick a fight or anything. I'm finding the search pretty funny right now myself.

Certainly not answering for SlidellWave, but in my case it's just fun to watch any school in the vaunted SEC muck up a coaching search. You would figure at some point that aggregated buyout amounts for ex-coaches (not a unique UT phenomenon) would run out and these guys will have sit on a coach they don't like because they cannot afford not to. Certainly coming true with Arky, Graham at ASU, TAMU, Nebraska, etc., etc. And perhaps LSU. Again, fun to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:23 pm 
Emerald Circle

and its not just us here laughing at Tenn., its national sports media as well. Primarily for their (Tenn. fans, alums and even politicians) smear of Schiano over unfounded rumors that he knowledge of the goings on by Sandusky at PSU. But also because they were convinced that they could get John Gruden. Some offering Tee Martin, currently at USC, as a potential HC.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:32 pm 
Coach Level

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
SlidellWave wrote:

I grew in Tennessee (moved to Mississppi in middle school). Was/am a Vanderbilt fan. There fans are only second worse to LSU fans (now granted there is a big gap between the two but they are bad) in rudeness. However, they are more delusional than any other fan base. At least LSU fans know when they stink and that the world doesn't revolve around them. Not so in Knoxville. Then you add in the the amount of "fan interference" they have. I used to think Auburn had the most meddlesome fan base, but I think UT has passed them (partially because I think Auburn has toned their "fans" (i.e. boosters) down). The other thing that truly sets them apart from the rest, is that they are like this in ALL sports. LSU is bad in football and baseball, but you don't get it much with basketball (now at least). Kentucky in basketball but nothing else. Alabama and Auburn in football. Not UT All of their sports bring out the jerks, even down to Women's basketball. It shows itself in this coaching search. Even before the Schiano mess- they wanted, demanded, and expected coaches like Mullen, Gruden, Franklin, and other top coaches to fall over themselves to get to Knoxville. Then they can't fathom why no one will even interview (and of course blame everyone but themselves). I thought Schiano was a bad fit for them and was laughing about them going after him. I had actually forgotten about the Penn State connection. He isn't a bad college coach (pro he stinks), but he would NEVER fit in with that fan base. He is an East Coast- Jersey guy and that wasn't going to play in the mountains. Unfortunately, he is exactly what that school needs. There is a cultural issue with Tennessee that other programs have adapted to but not UT. UT still lets things go with their athletes way more than gets reported. There is a lot of "protection" of them up there. He would have come in and and given them some direction, leadership, and discipline. But that, along with being from Jersey, wasn't ever going to work for them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:35 pm 
President's Circle

Oh I'm laughing, too. As I said, I never really pulled for them until recently since I live here and I haven't had a Tulane team to watch in the postseason. As it is, I'm probably done pulling for them given this situation. Roto's point is well taken, but Slidell has made anti-UT comments before and my curiosity has been piqued. I expect there might be a worthwhile story

Edit: I must have posted right as Slidell did. That's fair. I found the UT fan base annoying growing up here, and that's why I never became a fan. But I've also had negative, elitist interactions with Vandy folks so have been turned off by them as well. I can't really speak to the allegations you bring up as I've never followed things closely, but it's obvious the hard core UT fans are delusional, that much I can agree on. I don't hold Schiano in as high regard as you do. UT needs something to adjust their attitude, but I think Schiano would have been a massive flop on his own even outside of UT's issues. A few more years of losing, now likely assured, may be just the medicine to reorient things. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:50 pm 
Coach Level

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Oh I'm laughing, too. As I said, I never really pulled for them until recently since I live here and I haven't had a Tulane team to watch in the postseason. As it is, I'm probably done pulling for them given this situation. Roto's point is well taken, but Slidell has made anti-UT comments before and my curiosity has been piqued. I expect there might be a worthwhile story

Edit: I must have posted right as Slidell did. That's fair. I found the UT fan base annoying growing up here, and that's why I never became a fan. But I've also had negative, elitist interactions with Vandy folks so have been turned off by them as well. I can't really speak to the allegations you bring up as I've never followed things closely, but it's obvious the hard core UT fans are delusional, that much I can agree on. I don't hold Schiano in as high regard as you do. UT needs something to adjust their attitude, but I think Schiano would have been a massive flop on his own even outside of UT's issues. A few more years of losing, now likely assured, may be just the medicine to reorient things. Time will tell.

Oh, I don't think Schiano is a great coach, I think he is good. I think he is better than Butch and probably better than what I thought they would get. My expectations are CUSA level coach (Dooley/Jones). As a Vandy fan, I wasn't fearing the hire. He was't going to turn them around, but he possibly could have toned down the player distractions- though I think he and the fans would have caused their own distractions. Yes, Vandy fans can be elitist as well (they are kind of similar to us at Tulane, no respect within the state so kind of have to make their own noise and promote themselves).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:27 pm 
Emerald Circle

OGSB wrote:
SlidellWave wrote:

I actually read an article that quoted someone 'close to' him as saying he'd be open to the idea.

Heh. Must not know him well. He's trolling them

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:00 pm 
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote:
OGSB wrote:
SlidellWave wrote:

Heh. Must not know him well. He's trolling them

I don't think that there are many people that are more despised in the Vol Nation than Lane Kiffin. I have to admit that the events of the last two days have been fun to watch up here in East Tennessee...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:52 pm 
Emerald Circle

Now, they're trying to tug Mike Gundy away from T.Boone Pickens. We'll see.

The never wrong internet is also starting to treat Jimbo Fisher to A&M as likely. We'll see about that, too.

If the former happens I can't see OKSt not jumping on Mike Norvell in a flash. In case of the latter, a lot of folks think Willie Taggart would love to bolt back home after a year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:30 am 
President's Circle

Looks like Mississippi St has found their guy. Joe Moorhead, OC from Penn St.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21603052/joe-moorhead-penn-state-offensive-coordinator-named-mississippi-state-coach

Meanwhile, Gundy decides to stay at OK St.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:30 am 
Regent's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Looks like Mississippi St has found their guy. Joe Moorhead, OC from Penn St.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21603052/joe-moorhead-penn-state-offensive-coordinator-named-mississippi-state-coach

Meanwhile, Gundy decides to stay at OK St.

Morris enters the Tennessee picture ... but some say he's already told them no.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:00 pm 
President's Circle

Herm Edwards (yes, that Herm Edwards) reportedly the hire at Arizona State.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next