Coaching Carousel 2017-18

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
sr
Regent's Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel 2017-18

Post by sr »

Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:UTEP hires KState o coordinator Dana Dimel
Isn't that the same Dimel who couldn't coach Cougar High? Phew! Of course, who else could UTEP get?

Also, Herm Edwards to Arizona St.? Another questionable hire. Fire Todd Graham for going 7-5 and hiring Edwards?! Phew!

FWIW, I thought Morris did a pretty good job at SMU--they were competitive in 10 out of 12 games. They recovered from the June Jones hangover.
The one and only Dimel. He was so bad at UofH.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Tennessee reportedly reached an agr....

Nevermind
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Tennessee may be hiring Jeremy Pruitt, the DC at Alabama. Remarkable hiring process, that.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

long green wrote:Tennessee may be hiring Jeremy Pruitt, the DC at Alabama. Remarkable hiring process, that.
Looks like a done deal for Pruitt at $4MM per
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Idk if it's been posted yet, but Rice has snagged Stanford OC Mike Bloomgren.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Rice made a better hire than Tennessee. And a much better hire than Arizona State (wtf).
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

long green wrote:Rice made a better hire than Tennessee. And a much better hire than Arizona State (wtf).
Arizona State plays to win the game...hello?!?!?!
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

impressive pickup by Rice! Nice. As for Tenn., Jeremy Pruitt was the Alabama DC for exactly...........one year. Epic Fail on Tenn.'s part. Should have gone after Tee Martin, IMO.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

GreenieBacker wrote:impressive pickup by Rice! Nice. As for Tenn., Jeremy Pruitt was the Alabama DC for exactly...........one year. Epic Fail on Tenn.'s part. Should have gone after Tee Martin, IMO.
That's only telling part of the story. He was Georgia's DC for the two years before that and FSU's DC when they won the national title in 2013.

Tee Martin has only 2 years of OC experience.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Kirby Smart, and to a lesser degree, Lane Kiffin's successes means that anyone who comes within spitting distance of Saban and appears to have reasonably coordinated an offense or defense will get head coaching gigs for the foreseeable future. It's just the way it is.
Bring home da Wave!
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:impressive pickup by Rice! Nice. As for Tenn., Jeremy Pruitt was the Alabama DC for exactly...........one year. Epic Fail on Tenn.'s part. Should have gone after Tee Martin, IMO.
That's only telling part of the story. He was Georgia's DC for the two years before that and FSU's DC when they won the national title in 2013.

I don't get the Tee Martin obsession by so many. He has been an OC for two years, both of which he was fortunate enough to have the likely first pick in the draft in Sam Darnold. He still has alot to prove to me.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Poseidon wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

I don't get the Tee Martin obsession by so many. He has been an OC for two years, both of which he was fortunate enough to have the likely first pick in the draft in Sam Darnold. He still has alot to prove to me.
The Tee Martin obsession is easily explained; he was the starting QB the year that UT lucked out by not playing the other undefeated team (Tulane) and won the mythical national championship.

There were a ton of people who also called for hiring Peyton Manning despite his having absolutely no coaching experience. The Tennessee fans want to "return to glory;" that was why they were overjoyed to have Phil Fulmer return as AD. They have the idea that guys who have a history of being at UT would be more loyal to UT, as opposed to "that carpet bagger Lane Kiffin," etc.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Mario Cristobal will replace Willie Taggart at Oregon, sez "breaking news."
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

first let me state that I have no dog in this hunt, but Martin seemed like an appealing candidate simply because I see Tenn.'s Program, right now, as a colossal wreck. Martin understands the culture there, he has a chance to succeed where others won't.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I think it would have been the exact wrong time for Martin. If he wants a HC job let him take over a G5 and prove himself. Time is still on his side. If in four years he's taken a UAB-type to two bowls while Jeremy Pruitt is getting canned in Knoxville, he'll be an even more popular choice.

I thought the Les Miles as HC with Martin as CIW option was a pretty fair get-out from UT's November circus.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Cristobal to O. Not sure if that's a good hire or not. On paper, he didn't have a good record at FIU, but he's been a good assistant at high profile programs. I thought Oregon could do better, frankly. Maybe FW can shed some light on this hire.
Plan your work, work your plan.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Rotorooter wrote:Cristobal to O. Not sure if that's a good hire or not. On paper, he didn't have a good record at FIU, but he's been a good assistant at high profile programs. I thought Oregon could do better, frankly. Maybe FW can shed some light on this hire.
He was canned after 3-9 season right after taking FIU to two bowl games. You'd think he'd have got the benefit of the doubt but no. And then they hired Ron Turner which everyone panned & everyone was right.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Seeing that Hudspeth will join MSU's staff as TE coach. This is like a lighter, but still sad, version of Mike Riley taking an assistant job at Oregon State.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I think Riley going back to help his former player is awesome, not sad or funny at all.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I think the Riley story is awesome.

Also good thinking by the HC. Tie him to your success or failure, so that if you star tto flounder there isnt this mythical savior "out there"

But mostly, good for Riley.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

So it looks like SMU is getting Sonny Dykes. How did everyone do? Who made good hires/bad hires?
Victory is never permanent
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

OGSB wrote:So it looks like SMU is getting Sonny Dykes. How did everyone do? Who made good hires/bad hires?
the two AAC's made solid hires; better, in my opinion, than the four new hires made by AAC schools last year.

Among the so-called P5, I think everyone did at least a solid job except for Tennessee, whose fans are now running that asylum into the ground, Oregon, who hired the players' choice, and Arizona State, who just went off the rails with their choice. The biggest winners are Florida, UCLA, and Nebraska. For the latter two, though, if those guys don't work out there, no one can.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Rice was a big winner, IMO. Not that it will do them any good............
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

l
GreenieBacker wrote:Rice was a big winner, IMO. Not that it will do them any good............
It will be interesting to see if they can get the athletes to run that offense
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »