Ga Southern fired their Coach

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Re: Ga Southern fired their Coach

Post by Ray »

Rotorooter wrote:
96Wave wrote:One thing I am pretty confident about is that nobody involved in Tulane Football right now thought this would be an easy rebuild. This program has been not good, to be charitable, for decades. Sure we had a good year with CJ and a great year with Bowden, but beyond that Tulane has not been consistently good or even decent for a long, long time. With that you have to include the fact that institutionally we are not set up for a quick turnaround: academics, facilities, etc. etc. And now we are in a conference that has legit good teams. So to expect Fritz to come in and turn this sinking, on fire, oil tanker around in a year and change is unreasonable. He knows what his job is and he needs time to do it. I don’t see him leaving anytime soon.
Glad to see that someone else here gets it. Great post, 96.

WF has done nothing to warrant a new job anywhere. The thought of going back to GSU is a joke, why on earth would he leave for a Sun Belt Conference team that would pay him less? Hell, we gave Scelfo 8 years, Toledo 5 (he quit in the middle of the fifth), CJ, who isn't half the coach WF is, 4. Willie will get the time he needs. No one at TU admin is unhappy so far; he's in a great conference and thinks he can win here. He ain't going back to GSU and to think so is just folly. And he isn't going to a dumpster fire like Kansas, either, just to go to a P5 swamp-dweller. If anyone will remember, they fired the only successful coach they've had in 30 years because he was abusive to a player.

Willie Fritz and going anywhere very soon, especially with a 7-11 career record at Tulane. So let's stop with the silliness.
:!: :!: :!:
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

8) FW hasn't weighed in. I wonder if it's because his number might as well be 100?
Victory is never permanent
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

OGSB wrote:8) FW hasn't weighed in. I wonder if it's because his number might as well be 100?
He's still got me
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
charlamange8
Navigator Level

Post by charlamange8 »

Actually there is a chance they may try to hire OC Doug Ruse, who checks all the boxes for Geo. Southern...
He runs the option (and was successful there)
He already knows the culture there
They can afford him (cause they don't have much cash to hire a sitting head coach)
Charles
"Wisdom and the Sword"
1998 C-USA Champions
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price." - Sun Tzu
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

charlamange8 wrote:Actually there is a chance they may try to hire OC Doug Ruse, who checks all the boxes for Geo. Southern...
They can afford him (cause they don't have much cash to hire a sitting head coach)
That would be awesome if it happened and a large compliment to Fritz and a bigger nod to Ruse. Don't we want an HC that has a staff that's an incubator for FBS HC jobs? It will encourage a line of ambitious assistants everywhere to form to replace him.

Has it been that long since the gnashing of teeth around here about the Toledo assistant who left Tulane to take a high school job?
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Baywave1 wrote:
Has it been that long since the gnashing of teeth around here about the Toledo assistant who left Tulane to take a high school job?
That was Johnny Mac's boy Dan Dodd
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Dodd took a college job just a couple of years, tops, after leaving for the HS gig.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

long green wrote:Dodd took a college job just a couple of years, tops, after leaving for the HS gig.
Arkansas State. He's still there. Tight Ends coach and recruiting coordinator.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

charlamange8 wrote:Actually there is a chance they may try to hire OC Doug Ruse, who checks all the boxes for Geo. Southern...
I almost said this in my OP. Glad to see someone with a better perspective had the same thought.

I hope we don't lose him, but it'd be a feather in Fritz's cap.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

GSU can do better than to hire Ruse. It isn't like our offense is setting the world on fire and we ARE only 7-11 in his tenure here. Not exactly a sterling resume. I would suggest that GSU will go to FCS or DIII to get their coach who currently runs the option. Besides, Ruse's offense doesn't run the traditional triple option like GSU does. The OC at Ga Tech would be a better fit, for example.
Plan your work, work your plan.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Rotorooter wrote:Besides, Ruse's offense doesn't run the traditional triple option like GSU does.
Which is one of the reasons a lot of GSU fans were uncomfortable with Fritz early on. And why Fritz wasn't a perfect fit while there. But success (under Fritz) may make them more open to (slight) change.

In the past, the school wasn't even just committed to the triple option, they insisted you run the Flexbone (which had been more or less invented at GSU in the late 90s). VMI was running the wishbone all the time, and it was jarring to watch our wishbone get no where as GSU ran over us with the Flexbone.

GSU has a rabid and vocal and powerful fan base (relative to the size of the school), but not a lot a lot of money. And they are an odd sort, convinced that their history (at FCS) is the only guidepost for success in the future (FBS). We'll see
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Also curious what impact that Georgia Tech running a version of the flexbone has on GSU recruiting. One of the big boys in their states now wants the TYPE of athlete GSU wants, meaning not only are they not going to get the best recruits in the state (a school like GSU never would anyway), but also meaning that when one of the two big boys in the states reaches down for a lower recruit, they are coming after the best recruits with the exact skill set you seek.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Considering that the most important difference with the offense that GSU traditionally runs and Ruse's offense is that the QB is under center vs. not, is a VERY big difference. Which is why the GT OC is a better fit for that reason alone. Not to mention that Paul Johnson used to coach at Southern, too.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Rotorooter wrote:GSU can do better than to hire Ruse. It isn't like our offense is setting the world on fire and we ARE only 7-11 in his tenure here. Not exactly a sterling resume. I would suggest that GSU will go to FCS or DIII to get their coach who currently runs the option. Besides, Ruse's offense doesn't run the traditional triple option like GSU does. The OC at Ga Tech would be a better fit, for example.
I'll suggest Ivin Jasper, the OC at Navy. He would have taken over for Niumataolo had that man taken the BYU job. Jasper spent a little time at GSU while Paul Johnson was there and followed him to Navy. His son had a heart issue that required a transplant this summer. If his son is sufficiently recovered to live as normal a life as he can it would be time for Jasper to get a HC job. Niumatalolo felt he still owed something to Navy after 2015; he might think he owes something to Jasper and moves on to give him a chance. If not, GSU couldn't make a better hire.
Last edited by long green on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Rotorooter wrote:Not to mention that Paul Johnson used to coach at Southern, too.
Yes, I saw him coach them more than a few times.

I'm curious if GSU could afford and/or get the GT OC though....
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:GSU can do better than to hire Ruse. It isn't like our offense is setting the world on fire and we ARE only 7-11 in his tenure here. Not exactly a sterling resume. I would suggest that GSU will go to FCS or DIII to get their coach who currently runs the option. Besides, Ruse's offense doesn't run the traditional triple option like GSU does. The OC at Ga Tech would be a better fit, for example.
I'll suggest Ivin Jasper, the OC at Navy. He would have taken over for Niumataolo had that man taken the BYU job. Jasper spent a little time at GSU while Paul Johnson was there and followed him to Navy. His son had a heart issue that required a transplant this summer. If his son is sufficiently recovered to live as normal a life as he can it would be time for Jasper to get a HC job. Niumatalolo felt he still owed something to Navy after 2015; he might think he owes something to Jasper and moves on to give him a chance. If not, GSU couldn't make a better hire.
Good call, LG. Someone like Jasper would be a better fit, for sure.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

WaveProf wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:Not to mention that Paul Johnson used to coach at Southern, too.
Yes, I saw him coach them more than a few times.

I'm curious if GSU could afford and/or get the GT OC though....
I think he'ld likely be available cheaper than most P5 OCs; how many schools are willing to run any version of the GT offense?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

GretnaGrn wrote: I think he'ld likely be available cheaper than most P5 OCs; how many schools are willing to run any version of the GT offense?
True that

I can name a few programs I think might should consider it, but they wouldn't. It's too risky cause public opinion is so against it that the AD is sticking their neck out making the hire (which most ADs don't like to do)
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Made the interim coach permanent today.

Dodged that bullet!
Victory is never permanent