Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:08 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5063
https://www.businessreport.com/article/ ... urce=dr_am

We had a vigorous discussion about risk of big time college athletics losing its tax donation status either in whole or piecemeal because, well, it's a professional sports business that continues to evolve away from any educational mission.

I don't know if tax deductibility of PSLs will survive or not but point is it will have to be amended out of the current bill and is simply another small but significant sign on which direction this issue is headed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:20 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 1974
Location: Baton Rouge
“It’s impossible to tell how people would react but potentially it really could be disastrous to intercollegiate athletics in the form we know it now,” LSU Athletic Director Joe Alleva says

By that he means "our advantage over other P5 Schools is at substantial risk."

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:00 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9207
Baywave1 wrote:
https://www.businessreport.com/article/lsu-ad-says-house-gop-tax-plan-disastrous-college-sports?utm_campaign=dr_am-2017_Nov_09-10_01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dr_am

We had a vigorous discussion about risk of big time college athletics losing its tax donation status either in whole or piecemeal because, well, it's a professional sports business that continues to evolve away from any educational mission.

I don't know if tax deductibility of PSLs will survive or not but point is it will have to be amended out of the current bill and is simply another small but significant sign on which direction this issue is headed.

Believe the discussion was about if the universities as a whole would lose that status because they have athletic programs. That remains as preposterous now as it was then. Also believe the current bill, or any other legislation, will get passed when I see it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:04 am 
Offline
Crest Level

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:27 am
Posts: 105
I thought that we were not allowed to discuss politics on this board .. EVER!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:20 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5063
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
https://www.businessreport.com/article/lsu-ad-says-house-gop-tax-plan-disastrous-college-sports?utm_campaign=dr_am-2017_Nov_09-10_01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dr_am

We had a vigorous discussion about risk of big time college athletics losing its tax donation status either in whole or piecemeal because, well, it's a professional sports business that continues to evolve away from any educational mission.

I don't know if tax deductibility of PSLs will survive or not but point is it will have to be amended out of the current bill and is simply another small but significant sign on which direction this issue is headed.

Believe the discussion was about if the universities as a whole would lose that status because they have athletic programs. That remains as preposterous now as it was then. Also believe the current bill, or any other legislation, will get passed when I see it.


Nope I never said that. It was about college athletics being potentially taxed in whole or in part as a business not the true educational part of the university. That is not and never has been at risk. Don't confuse the issue. Universities have always been allowed to own and run taxable businesses as long as they pay taxes on them.

What I said was exactly on point that "big-time" college athletics might/would need a political fix to avoid being reclassed as a taxable professional operation not consistent with its 501(c) status. I was right then and the howling of Alleva and friends is only proving it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:33 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9207
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
https://www.businessreport.com/article/lsu-ad-says-house-gop-tax-plan-disastrous-college-sports?utm_campaign=dr_am-2017_Nov_09-10_01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dr_am

We had a vigorous discussion about risk of big time college athletics losing its tax donation status either in whole or piecemeal because, well, it's a professional sports business that continues to evolve away from any educational mission.

I don't know if tax deductibility of PSLs will survive or not but point is it will have to be amended out of the current bill and is simply another small but significant sign on which direction this issue is headed.

Believe the discussion was about if the universities as a whole would lose that status because they have athletic programs. That remains as preposterous now as it was then. Also believe the current bill, or any other legislation, will get passed when I see it.


Nope I never said that. It was about college athletics being potentially taxed in whole or in part as a business not the true educational part of the university. That is not and never has been at risk. Don't confuse the issue. Universities have always been allowed to own and run taxable businesses as long as they pay taxes on them.

What I said was exactly on point that "big-time" college athletics might/would need a political fix to avoid being reclassed as a taxable professional operation not consistent with its 501(c) status. I was right then and the howling of Alleva and friends is only proving it.

Well, then I misunderstood your earlier point...that said, the howling of Alleva et al shows you why this wont change either. There's 2 senators in LA that have no interest in alienating millions of LSU fans/voters. You can extrapolate that across the country and you wind up with what, 10-15 states with no large college athletic presence? That math isn't going to add up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:34 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9207
IM42lane wrote:
I thought that we were not allowed to discuss politics on this board .. EVER!!

Only if we don't change font size.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:34 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20014
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
I never felt very good/right when I claimed that deduction anyway.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:13 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17815
Location: Chicago
IM42lane wrote:
I thought that we were not allowed to discuss politics on this board .. EVER!!


If this was political then you would be correct. First the blind link more atrocious than someone's normal MO and now this post. If you start saying birdseed is political I'm going to assume someone has two screen names


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:15 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17815
Location: Chicago
WaveProf wrote:
I never felt very good/right when I claimed that deduction anyway.


Then don't take it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:17 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17815
Location: Chicago
The bigger issue is the excise tax on endowments for us at least. Someone ran the numbers and basically Princeton could pay all tuitions out of its returns, and still make money for the year. Ours is not that big


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:27 am 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 29723
Location: Way ahead of you
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
I never felt very good/right when I claimed that deduction anyway.


Then don't take it.
Sometimes, the line between conscience and stupidity is a very thin one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:30 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 1974
Location: Baton Rouge
windywave wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
I thought that we were not allowed to discuss politics on this board .. EVER!!


If this was political then you would be correct. First the blind link more atrocious than someone's normal MO and now this post. If you start saying birdseed is political I'm going to assume someone has two screen names


This clearly political, though clearly not partisan. That is what makes it palpable.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:19 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17815
Location: Chicago
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
I thought that we were not allowed to discuss politics on this board .. EVER!!


If this was political then you would be correct. First the blind link more atrocious than someone's normal MO and now this post. If you start saying birdseed is political I'm going to assume someone has two screen names


This clearly political, though clearly not partisan. That is what makes it palpable.


Not political unless you want to make politicalso broadly defined that nothing, not even food or uniforms is allowed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:32 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 1974
Location: Baton Rouge
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
I thought that we were not allowed to discuss politics on this board .. EVER!!


If this was political then you would be correct. First the blind link more atrocious than someone's normal MO and now this post. If you start saying birdseed is political I'm going to assume someone has two screen names


This clearly political, though clearly not partisan. That is what makes it palpable.


Not political unless you want to make politicalso broadly defined that nothing, not even food or uniforms is allowed


It's political as in politicians don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group