2017-2018 Bowl season

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

2017-2018 Bowl season

Post by TUPF »

I admit that once we were hosed out of a bowl game I have pretty much lost interest in the cartel playoff and collateral bowls so would like to hear from you guys.

Is the playoff of 4 shaping up to what you expected? Does Clemson come out of all this #1?

There are lots of prognostications about bowl matchups and I have long since quit trying to keep up with the name changes, but which games if any will you watch more than a few minutes of?

Finally, who wins Army/Navy? Seems to me that after the string was broken last time, it’s now Army’s turn for awhile.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: 2017-2018 Bowl season

Post by Roller »

Football season is over for me. Completely over. Movin' on.
I'll casually follow Tulane Basketball (and only Tulane, since a} I'm not big on basketball in the first place and b} Dunleavy and the troop are bringing good vibes to Tulane) to tide me over until baseball season.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I used to love the bowls, what ESPN has done to almost every level of the postseason is a calamity. I may watch two before the semis & I will watch those.

What sucks is not bama getting in but that they had no choice but to put them in (by their standards, anyway).
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I love bowl season but even I've lost interest over the years. There was a time I'd try and watch every game, but now I'll catch maybe eight or ten and that may or may not include the playoff.

I'm surprised by the way the committee went with Alabama. In reality I think Ohio St. and Bama both had good arguments for getting in, but I thought they'd go with Ohio St. to keep 4 conferences represented.

Outside of the playoff, one of the best stories this season is New Mexico St. They are breaking a 57 year bowl drought, longest in the nation by far. UAB is also a great story. Two years ago they had no program; to be in a bowl in year one of the reboot is outstanding.

Once all the matchups are released there may be some other ones to call out. A Texas vs Texas A&M bowl game would be great.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Texas has told the powers that be they do not want to play A&M. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think it sucks and my respect for Texas athletics has eroded.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

tjtlja wrote:Texas has told the powers that be they do not want to play A&M. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think it sucks and my respect for Texas athletics has eroded.
Well there are too many eligible teams for the available spots this year. If a bowl offers both the Longhorns and Aggies, Texas could decline. In theory that would mean they should have to stay home for bowl season. It won't happen because nobody will want Buffalo or MTSU over Texas, though.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

tjtlja wrote:Texas has told the powers that be they do not want to play A&M. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think it sucks and my respect for Texas athletics has eroded.
Just like lsucks. They won't play A&M because "they have nothing to gain by doing so". But in the end, what they really mean is that they don't want to take the chance of losing to them. :wink:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

And sure enough Texas dodged their bullet. A&M gets Wake Forest in the Belk Bowl. Texas gets Missouri in the Texas Bowl. You can't tell me the folks who run the Texas Bowl didn't want A&M in there too.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

I'll watch what I can. I don't really follow basketball except for Tulane so as long as college football is on I'll probably be tuning in. Or at least have it on in the background.
Victory is never permanent
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Outlaw, they wanted A&M in that game more than anything. I have ties to UT with my son going there for two years, but I hope Missouri whips their tails. Bush league all the way.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

long green wrote:I used to love the bowls, what ESPN has done to almost every level of the postseason is a calamity. I may watch two before the semis & I will watch those.

What sucks is not bama getting in but that they had no choice but to put them in (by their standards, anyway).
Why would you bespoil yourself and watch?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

TUPF wrote: Finally, who wins Army/Navy? Seems to me that after the string was broken last time, it’s now Army’s turn for awhile.
Navy definitely wins the uniform battle; those Blue Angels unis are sharp.

https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/mili ... army-game/

As for the bowl games, I'm sure I'll watch some as I flip through channels, especially if an underdog or non-P5 team looks like it's going to knock someone off. The only one I'll be going out of my way to watch is the TaxSlayer Bowl (I'm also a Mississippi State fan).
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Dang, the blue helmets with reflective gold facemasks looking like fighter jet helmets are sweet enough, the handpainted jets almost aren't needed.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Games start today. New Orleans Bowl kicks things off.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

And Troy laid the lumber on N. Texas. They never had a chance.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

FAU 50 Akron 3, still 10:47 left to play.

Glad Houston went the Applewhite route.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

OGSB wrote:FAU 50 Akron 3, still 10:47 left to play.

Glad Houston went the Applewhite route.
Turns out he deliberately ran the score up. He said people from Akron were talking trash.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

AAC in action tonight with SMU VS. LA tech. I hate to pull for SMU but this is the kind of game the AAC needs to win. Sloppy start for SMU. Two turnovers and poor tackling.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Make that 3 straight. 14-0 LT. SMU is clearly not awake right now
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

SMU's looking like crap warmed over. It's not their fault that we're sitting here griping on the internet and not in Boca Raton or Orlando, but I'm still not going to shed any tears over it. Not toeing the AAC party line tonight. Go Tech.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

1309th WAVE wrote:SMU's looking like crap warmed over. It's not their fault that we're sitting here griping on the internet and not in Boca Raton or Orlando, but I'm still not going to shed any tears over it. Not toeing the AAC party line tonight. Go Tech.
I took the opposite approach. If we have to be out, at least represent the conference well. We have been losing games like this the last few bowl seasons and need to take care of business against weaker conference opponents. LT is not a great team this year. Not that it matters, SMU has clearly given up now.

I want to pistol whip them next year.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Sonny Dykes era going well for La Tech so far.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote:I used to love the bowls, what ESPN has done to almost every level of the postseason is a calamity. I may watch two before the semis & I will watch those.

I agree. Bowl season used to be fun for me even in years we weren't in one. Now it's like a watered down version of what it should be.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

OGSB wrote:Sonny Dykes era going well for La Tech so far.
So well that his minions have given up 51 points and are only 1 into double digits... Go Ponies :roll:
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Temple took care of business against FIU tonight. FIU lost their QB in the first quarter which greatly hurt their chances.

AAC 1-1 in bowls with USF-Texas Tech coming up on Saturday. That's an important game as it's one of four chances to beat a Power conference team.