Is the P5 actually the P5?

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Is the P5 actually the P5?

Post by tjtlja »

Watching the playoff selection process, I really don’t believe the P5 from a playoff perspective is a P5. The clear cut factor in determining who is in the playoffs is based on who the committee thinks are the best teams and conference championships do not matter. With this in mind, the P5 is comprised of approximately 60 teams. Does anyone think that Wake Forest, Kansas, Illinois, etc., will ever have a chance to compete for a national title if they won their conference if Alabama, Michigan, USC, etc., have similar resumes to what Alabama had this year. The P5 from a playoff perspective is really a P30. I think Tulane can utilize this as a positive when recruiting kids against these schools. They are in the same boat as us. The only difference is the money the P5 schools rake in at the end of the day. I know that is huge, but from a competitive standpoint, we are on the same playing field as so many other schools in the P5.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Re: Is the P5 actually the P5?

Post by Fan Since '54 »

You are absolutely right sir. It is not a level playing field even in the 5 conferences themselves. And you can probably include Vandy and Utah to that list of "unincluded". Those 5 teams probably would have just as much of a chance as Tulane did in '98. Which is to say "none".

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I get what you are saying, but I disagree with some of your statements. Conference championships do matter, but they aren't the end all be all. I guarantee you if Wake Forest, Vandy, Kansas or Illinois ever has one or fewer losses and wins their conf. championship they will be in the playoff regardless of brand. This year you had a situation where a one loss non champion and a two loss champion both had flaws and strong points. If OSU beats Wisconsin by 21 then maybe they are in over Alabama.

I do agree with your point about recruiting. The odds of any of the underdogs above ever winning their conference are so slim that they really shouldn't have a competitve advantage over us in recruiting. Unfortunately P5 money funds nice facilities and gets them on TV a lot more than we currently do.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

If Clemson wins the ACC with a 12-0 season, Alabama goes 12-0, Ohio State wins Big 10 and goes 11-1, Kansas wins Big 12 and goes 11-1, USC goes 10-2, Michigan goes 11-1, and Auburn goes 10-2, Kansas is out if the losses by Michigan, USC, or Auburn are “quality” losses. The stars would have to be so perfectly aligned for a Kansas type school to make the final four. Kansas chances are better than ours, but the difference is practically nonexistent.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I disagree, because you don't have enough details there. Who is Kansas 1 loss to? 12-0 Clemson in non conference play? Because if so that's a pretty good loss too. And who are the wins over? Did Kansas beat strong Oklahoma, Texas, OK St. and K St. teams? See there's too much in play to boil it down to just record.

Kansas won't make the playoff ever because they don't have a good football program and in that sense you are right about our chances vs there's. But if the scenario you suggest did happen and all wins and losses were of similar quality nature, then I 100% believe the conference championship angle would give Kansas a decisive edge in that selection.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:I disagree, because you don't have enough details there. Who is Kansas 1 loss to? 12-0 Clemson in non conference play? Because if so that's a pretty good loss too. And who are the wins over? Did Kansas beat strong Oklahoma, Texas, OK St. and K St. teams? See there's too much in play to boil it down to just record.

Kansas won't make the playoff ever because they don't have a good football program and in that sense you are right about our chances vs there's. But if the scenario you suggest did happen and all wins and losses were of similar quality nature, then I 100% believe the conference championship angle would give Kansas a decisive edge in that selection.
Just change the name Oklahoma to Kansas this year. Kansas would be in.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone