Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:32 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5937
Location: Gretna, LA
ml wave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
prof, on the radio this morning when discussing Alex Smith they opined how much better the Jags' chances would be if they had Smith at QB in their playoff run rather than Bortles(?). Also that Smith was asked to be a "Game Manager" by the Big Cheeseburger, which is what he did, but that he's capable of a lot more.

I think there's still a few games left in Smithy that there are a number of teams he could help.

Would be a massive upgrade from Bortles

So would you or I....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:36 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19806
Location: New Orleans
they also mentioned that the Jags' Tom Coughlin was likely to unload Bortles in the near future. Not who he wants at QB.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:08 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9579
GretnaGrn wrote:
ml wave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
prof, on the radio this morning when discussing Alex Smith they opined how much better the Jags' chances would be if they had Smith at QB in their playoff run rather than Bortles(?). Also that Smith was asked to be a "Game Manager" by the Big Cheeseburger, which is what he did, but that he's capable of a lot more.

I think there's still a few games left in Smithy that there are a number of teams he could help.

Would be a massive upgrade from Bortles

So would you or I....

Lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:55 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2355
GreenieBacker wrote:
they also mentioned that the Jags' Tom Coughlin was likely to unload Bortles in the near future. Not who he wants at QB.


I'm guessing that the guy he wants at QB plays in New York?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:45 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2355
Regarding the concussion protocol discussion:

If they find that Cam didn't have the proper protocol administered, what sort of penalty needs to be handed out to the Panthers to prevent another team from doing the same thing?

The Seahawks were fined $100k and had to send some coaches/staff to training. Every team with a star QB is making that tradeoff to get their guy back in the game. Especially in a playoff game. There's close to no monetary fine they could administer that a team isn't shrugging it's shoulders at if increasing their chances to move on in the playoffs is on the line.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17882
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Andy Reid seems to become a mannequin in these games - I don't know how he keeps a job.
Philly fans have a tough reputation, yes, but people should understand this is exactly why he was let go despite a winning record. He’s an NFL football coach you want in September, not January. He charts everything and I mean everything. But once he’s off script or an opposing coach throws wrinkles at him, he freezes. By the time playoffs roll around, other teams are playing chess and the Big Cheeseburger is playing checkers.

He's obviously got his faults, but he's a really good coach. Remind me how much success the Eagles have had since letting him go?

Well they are the 1 seed in the NFC currently
Thanks.

It’s all about what an ownership and a fan base wants. Andy Reid is Mr. October for the wrong sport.
If an ownership wants 10 wins a season after starting 6-0 or 6-1, the Big Cheeseburger is your man. Nobody works harder. He’s the student who spends every weekend in Tilton Library and earns every B he gets but no matter what, he’ll never be Phi Beta Kappa.

He won more than 10 games in a season 6 times with the Eagles, won 10 playoff games and got them to a Super Bowl (which they had a decent chance of winning), but sure go with that.

Your normal snark aside, you kind of reinforce my point. Andy was almost good enough but given every chance in the world, didn’t get it done. Norman Braman would have been happy with that but Jeffrey Lurie is not. Lurie would rather blow it all up and roll the dice with first Chip Kelly and now Doug Pederson and see if another way of doing things will get a ring. So far, Pederson has succeeded in giving the team a shot far quicker than anyone in Philadelphia expected. If not for a Wentz injury, we would be looking at a pretty good shot at a ring this year. Even if we exit early this year, I like our chances with a healthy Wentz next year.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:33 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19751
Location: Cincinnati, OH
MattK wrote:
Regarding the concussion protocol discussion:

If they find that Cam didn't have the proper protocol administered, what sort of penalty needs to be handed out to the Panthers to prevent another team from doing the same thing?

The Seahawks were fined $100k and had to send some coaches/staff to training. Every team with a star QB is making that tradeoff to get their guy back in the game. Especially in a playoff game. There's close to no monetary fine they could administer that a team isn't shrugging it's shoulders at if increasing their chances to move on in the playoffs is on the line.

If you can prove they didn't do something they should have within the next six days, just make said player sit out the next game, or even the remainder of the postseason. That would not only force the coaches to think about it twice, but since the player likely has some contract clauses about playing in various levels of playoff games, it might hit the player in the pocketbook too (maybe). Regardless, it would go a long way towards shutting up the fans who always side with "he's fine, don't be a wuss, put him back in".

Say Brady gets his bell rung this weekend and the cheating Pats consider blowing off the protocol (or Tom himself says, "I'm staying in"). The Pats win and they figure out he cheated the protocol. Whoops, now Brady is ineligible for the Steelers rematch AND the potential Super Bowl after that. Can you imagine? I'd think that would make folks take it more seriously.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:47 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7529
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
PeteRasche wrote:
MattK wrote:
Regarding the concussion protocol discussion:

If they find that Cam didn't have the proper protocol administered, what sort of penalty needs to be handed out to the Panthers to prevent another team from doing the same thing?

The Seahawks were fined $100k and had to send some coaches/staff to training. Every team with a star QB is making that tradeoff to get their guy back in the game. Especially in a playoff game. There's close to no monetary fine they could administer that a team isn't shrugging it's shoulders at if increasing their chances to move on in the playoffs is on the line.

If you can prove they didn't do something they should have within the next six days, just make said player sit out the next game, or even the remainder of the postseason. That would not only force the coaches to think about it twice, but since the player likely has some contract clauses about playing in various levels of playoff games, it might hit the player in the pocketbook too (maybe). Regardless, it would go a long way towards shutting up the fans who always side with "he's fine, don't be a wuss, put him back in".

Say Brady gets his bell rung this weekend and the cheating Pats consider blowing off the protocol (or Tom himself says, "I'm staying in"). The Pats win and they figure out he cheated the protocol. Whoops, now Brady is ineligible for the Steelers rematch AND the potential Super Bowl after that. Can you imagine? I'd think that would make folks take it more seriously.


Reasonable idea; however, given the precipitous drop in viewership that the NFL has had this year, I can guarantee that the powers that be would weigh the simple question- will a match-up between Pittsburgh and New England lose its luster if Brady is not at the helm? They will push the "Brady vs Big Ben" the entire week leading up to that game; this battle will certainly be worth a few more points in viewership.

Greenbacks would, unfortunately, have a major impact on such a decision.

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:03 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2355
PeteRasche wrote:
MattK wrote:
Regarding the concussion protocol discussion:

If they find that Cam didn't have the proper protocol administered, what sort of penalty needs to be handed out to the Panthers to prevent another team from doing the same thing?

The Seahawks were fined $100k and had to send some coaches/staff to training. Every team with a star QB is making that tradeoff to get their guy back in the game. Especially in a playoff game. There's close to no monetary fine they could administer that a team isn't shrugging it's shoulders at if increasing their chances to move on in the playoffs is on the line.

If you can prove they didn't do something they should have within the next six days, just make said player sit out the next game, or even the remainder of the postseason. That would not only force the coaches to think about it twice, but since the player likely has some contract clauses about playing in various levels of playoff games, it might hit the player in the pocketbook too (maybe). Regardless, it would go a long way towards shutting up the fans who always side with "he's fine, don't be a wuss, put him back in".

Say Brady gets his bell rung this weekend and the cheating Pats consider blowing off the protocol (or Tom himself says, "I'm staying in"). The Pats win and they figure out he cheated the protocol. Whoops, now Brady is ineligible for the Steelers rematch AND the potential Super Bowl after that. Can you imagine? I'd think that would make folks take it more seriously.


I was thinking they'd either need to take a high draft pick or suspend the coach for several games to get anyone to take it seriously. This would work too.

Or just go way overboard on one team and get the message across.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:28 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19751
Location: Cincinnati, OH
AO Sig wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
MattK wrote:
Regarding the concussion protocol discussion:

If they find that Cam didn't have the proper protocol administered, what sort of penalty needs to be handed out to the Panthers to prevent another team from doing the same thing?

The Seahawks were fined $100k and had to send some coaches/staff to training. Every team with a star QB is making that tradeoff to get their guy back in the game. Especially in a playoff game. There's close to no monetary fine they could administer that a team isn't shrugging it's shoulders at if increasing their chances to move on in the playoffs is on the line.

If you can prove they didn't do something they should have within the next six days, just make said player sit out the next game, or even the remainder of the postseason. That would not only force the coaches to think about it twice, but since the player likely has some contract clauses about playing in various levels of playoff games, it might hit the player in the pocketbook too (maybe). Regardless, it would go a long way towards shutting up the fans who always side with "he's fine, don't be a wuss, put him back in".

Say Brady gets his bell rung this weekend and the cheating Pats consider blowing off the protocol (or Tom himself says, "I'm staying in"). The Pats win and they figure out he cheated the protocol. Whoops, now Brady is ineligible for the Steelers rematch AND the potential Super Bowl after that. Can you imagine? I'd think that would make folks take it more seriously.


Reasonable idea; however, given the precipitous drop in viewership that the NFL has had this year, I can guarantee that the powers that be would weigh the simple question- will a match-up between Pittsburgh and New England lose its luster if Brady is not at the helm? They will push the "Brady vs Big Ben" the entire week leading up to that game; this battle will certainly be worth a few more points in viewership.

Greenbacks would, unfortunately, have a major impact on such a decision.

Very good point AO. I thought it sounded like a good idea but we already know that the NFL is more worried about their pocketbooks than about players' health.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:33 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9579
PeteRasche wrote:
MattK wrote:
Regarding the concussion protocol discussion:

If they find that Cam didn't have the proper protocol administered, what sort of penalty needs to be handed out to the Panthers to prevent another team from doing the same thing?

The Seahawks were fined $100k and had to send some coaches/staff to training. Every team with a star QB is making that tradeoff to get their guy back in the game. Especially in a playoff game. There's close to no monetary fine they could administer that a team isn't shrugging it's shoulders at if increasing their chances to move on in the playoffs is on the line.

If you can prove they didn't do something they should have within the next six days, just make said player sit out the next game, or even the remainder of the postseason. That would not only force the coaches to think about it twice, but since the player likely has some contract clauses about playing in various levels of playoff games, it might hit the player in the pocketbook too (maybe). Regardless, it would go a long way towards shutting up the fans who always side with "he's fine, don't be a wuss, put him back in".

Say Brady gets his bell rung this weekend and the cheating Pats consider blowing off the protocol (or Tom himself says, "I'm staying in"). The Pats win and they figure out he cheated the protocol. Whoops, now Brady is ineligible for the Steelers rematch AND the potential Super Bowl after that. Can you imagine? I'd think that would make folks take it more seriously.

But if you're in the playoffs and the choice is lose without him or put him back for a chance to win, there's still no downside for the team. Suspend the player (who's not the one who should be responsible here anyway) for the next game isn't a deterrent if there won't be a next game otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:10 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9579
TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Andy Reid seems to become a mannequin in these games - I don't know how he keeps a job.
Philly fans have a tough reputation, yes, but people should understand this is exactly why he was let go despite a winning record. He’s an NFL football coach you want in September, not January. He charts everything and I mean everything. But once he’s off script or an opposing coach throws wrinkles at him, he freezes. By the time playoffs roll around, other teams are playing chess and the Big Cheeseburger is playing checkers.

He's obviously got his faults, but he's a really good coach. Remind me how much success the Eagles have had since letting him go?

Well they are the 1 seed in the NFC currently
Thanks.

It’s all about what an ownership and a fan base wants. Andy Reid is Mr. October for the wrong sport.
If an ownership wants 10 wins a season after starting 6-0 or 6-1, the Big Cheeseburger is your man. Nobody works harder. He’s the student who spends every weekend in Tilton Library and earns every B he gets but no matter what, he’ll never be Phi Beta Kappa.

He won more than 10 games in a season 6 times with the Eagles, won 10 playoff games and got them to a Super Bowl (which they had a decent chance of winning), but sure go with that.

Your normal snark aside, you kind of reinforce my point. Andy was almost good enough but given every chance in the world, didn’t get it done. Norman Braman would have been happy with that but Jeffrey Lurie is not. Lurie would rather blow it all up and roll the dice with first Chip Kelly and now Doug Pederson and see if another way of doing things will get a ring. So far, Pederson has succeeded in giving the team a shot far quicker than anyone in Philadelphia expected. If not for a Wentz injury, we would be looking at a pretty good shot at a ring this year. Even if we exit early this year, I like our chances with a healthy Wentz next year.

Remind me again how many Super Bowls the Eagles have been to in the 40 whatever years that Reid wasn't their coach? How many NFC Championship Games? Only 1 team out of 32 gets to win the SB each year, if that's your criteria on judging coaches that's pretty silly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:26 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2272
Location: Greeneville, TN
Topic redirect: how about those Tennessee Titans!

I was so irritated the Chiefs blew that. I'm a Titans fan, but really dislike what Mularkey has done with the team. They have the talent to be so much better than what they put on the field this year and I was hoping getting dominated by the Chiefs would mean the end for Mularkey. Instead (with some ref help), he gets a playoff win and owner assurance he'll be back.

I think the ceiling is 9-7 until he's gone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9579
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Topic redirect: how about those Tennessee Titans!

I was so irritated the Chiefs blew that. I'm a Titans fan, but really dislike what Mularkey has done with the team. They have the talent to be so much better than what they put on the field this year and I was hoping getting dominated by the Chiefs would mean the end for Mularkey. Instead (with some ref help), he gets a playoff win and owner assurance he'll be back.

I think the ceiling is 9-7 until he's gone.

Yeah, that's kind of disappointing. It would be nice to see what a legitimate coach could do with Mariota. Maybe someone like...Andy Reid?? (jk)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:22 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17882
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
ml wave wrote:
Remind me again how many Super Bowls the Eagles have been to in the 40 whatever years that Reid wasn't their coach? How many NFC Championship Games? Only 1 team out of 32 gets to win the SB each year, if that's your criteria on judging coaches that's pretty silly.

We could do this all day.

Short answer is one, one other SB appearance not under The Big Cheeseburger. A loss under Dick Vermeil in the 80s. And I’m not the one writing the paychecks so will remind you it was new owner Jeffrey Lurie who said that after the excellent success in the early 2000s, the organization hit a wall by the time Reid was let go after 12 years. Five NFC championship games, winning one. Plenty of time to get over the hump. At least one other NFC championship game under Reid in 2004 the Eagles were a heavy favorite and got outcoached or it would have been two SBs. Other teams had the book on Reid by then as they do now. If you are an owner who is happy with keeping the turnstiles clicking there’s a lot to like with Reid. Unlike the Saints or the Chiefs, Philadelphia has not had a championship in the Super Bowl era and Lurie decided it wouldn’t happen under Reid either. Lurie is a billionaire and doesn’t need more money. He wants to win a Super Bowl and so does the city. Last football championship was in 1960, before the Saints existed.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:07 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7529
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Remind me again how many Super Bowls the Eagles have been to in the 40 whatever years that Reid wasn't their coach? How many NFC Championship Games? Only 1 team out of 32 gets to win the SB each year, if that's your criteria on judging coaches that's pretty silly.

We could do this all day.

Short answer is one, one other SB appearance not under The Big Cheeseburger. A loss under Dick Vermeil in the 80s. And I’m not the one writing the paychecks so will remind you it was new owner Jeffrey Lurie who said that after the excellent success in the early 2000s, the organization hit a wall by the time Reid was let go after 12 years. Five NFC championship games, winning one. Plenty of time to get over the hump. At least one other NFC championship game under Reid in 2004 the Eagles were a heavy favorite and got outcoached or it would have been two SBs. Other teams had the book on Reid by then as they do now. If you are an owner who is happy with keeping the turnstiles clicking there’s a lot to like with Reid. Unlike the Saints or the Chiefs, Philadelphia has not had a championship in the Super Bowl era and Lurie decided it wouldn’t happen under Reid either. Lurie is a billionaire and doesn’t need more money. He wants to win a Super Bowl and so does the city. Last football championship was in 1960, before the Saints existed.


Wasn't their Super Bowl appearance against the Oakland Raiders in New Orleans?

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:58 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9579
AO Sig wrote:
TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Remind me again how many Super Bowls the Eagles have been to in the 40 whatever years that Reid wasn't their coach? How many NFC Championship Games? Only 1 team out of 32 gets to win the SB each year, if that's your criteria on judging coaches that's pretty silly.

We could do this all day.

Short answer is one, one other SB appearance not under The Big Cheeseburger. A loss under Dick Vermeil in the 80s. And I’m not the one writing the paychecks so will remind you it was new owner Jeffrey Lurie who said that after the excellent success in the early 2000s, the organization hit a wall by the time Reid was let go after 12 years. Five NFC championship games, winning one. Plenty of time to get over the hump. At least one other NFC championship game under Reid in 2004 the Eagles were a heavy favorite and got outcoached or it would have been two SBs. Other teams had the book on Reid by then as they do now. If you are an owner who is happy with keeping the turnstiles clicking there’s a lot to like with Reid. Unlike the Saints or the Chiefs, Philadelphia has not had a championship in the Super Bowl era and Lurie decided it wouldn’t happen under Reid either. Lurie is a billionaire and doesn’t need more money. He wants to win a Super Bowl and so does the city. Last football championship was in 1960, before the Saints existed.


Wasn't their Super Bowl appearance against the Oakland Raiders in New Orleans?

Yes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:12 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9579
TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Remind me again how many Super Bowls the Eagles have been to in the 40 whatever years that Reid wasn't their coach? How many NFC Championship Games? Only 1 team out of 32 gets to win the SB each year, if that's your criteria on judging coaches that's pretty silly.

We could do this all day.

Short answer is one, one other SB appearance not under The Big Cheeseburger. A loss under Dick Vermeil in the 80s. And I’m not the one writing the paychecks so will remind you it was new owner Jeffrey Lurie who said that after the excellent success in the early 2000s, the organization hit a wall by the time Reid was let go after 12 years. Five NFC championship games, winning one. Plenty of time to get over the hump. At least one other NFC championship game under Reid in 2004 the Eagles were a heavy favorite and got outcoached or it would have been two SBs. Other teams had the book on Reid by then as they do now. If you are an owner who is happy with keeping the turnstiles clicking there’s a lot to like with Reid. Unlike the Saints or the Chiefs, Philadelphia has not had a championship in the Super Bowl era and Lurie decided it wouldn’t happen under Reid either. Lurie is a billionaire and doesn’t need more money. He wants to win a Super Bowl and so does the city. Last football championship was in 1960, before the Saints existed.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes a coach stays around too long and change is needed. Maybe that's what happened in Philly, but to say he can't win the big one or can't get over the hump is ridiculous. To illustrate, take Vermeil...if Mike Jones doesn't stop Kevin Dyson six inches short of the end zone he's 0-3 in the SB including being on the wrong end of an historic upset...but because of that tackle he can "win the big one"? If that's the difference, then your (one's) criteria is dumb. This "book" thing is equally hilarious...someone should have let Belichick know about this book before the opener this year. Reid's a top 5ish(?) coach in the league...those guys don't grow on trees. You ever wonder why Pittsburgh is always good?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 6840
Location: Charlotte
PeteRasche wrote:
MattK wrote:
Regarding the concussion protocol discussion:

If they find that Cam didn't have the proper protocol administered, what sort of penalty needs to be handed out to the Panthers to prevent another team from doing the same thing?

The Seahawks were fined $100k and had to send some coaches/staff to training. Every team with a star QB is making that tradeoff to get their guy back in the game. Especially in a playoff game. There's close to no monetary fine they could administer that a team isn't shrugging it's shoulders at if increasing their chances to move on in the playoffs is on the line.

If you can prove they didn't do something they should have within the next six days, just make said player sit out the next game, or even the remainder of the postseason. That would not only force the coaches to think about it twice, but since the player likely has some contract clauses about playing in various levels of playoff games, it might hit the player in the pocketbook too (maybe). Regardless, it would go a long way towards shutting up the fans who always side with "he's fine, don't be a wuss, put him back in".

Say Brady gets his bell rung this weekend and the cheating Pats consider blowing off the protocol (or Tom himself says, "I'm staying in"). The Pats win and they figure out he cheated the protocol. Whoops, now Brady is ineligible for the Steelers rematch AND the potential Super Bowl after that. Can you imagine? I'd think that would make folks take it more seriously.


it's going to have to be something more than $100K... a team making $30-40 million in profit in a season is going to write that check in a heartbeat if it means they can keep their star in the game longer.. I like the idea of having the player forced to sit a week, but the NFLPA won't let that happen... my original thought was to dock the team a draft pick.. a 4th or 5th rounder for the first offense... 2nd rounder if you do it twice... not in a season... TWICE as a franchise. Teams will toe the line after the first pick is lost.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:49 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17882
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Eagles win. At least one of my Green teams does well on Saturday! :thumbsup:

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:21 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3797
Location: Wichita
So the de facto NFC championship game is tomorrow after all!

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:36 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19751
Location: Cincinnati, OH
gerryb323 wrote:
So the de facto NFC championship game is tomorrow after all!

And most likely the de facto Super Bowl is being played in New England next week.

(I'd love to see the Saints win it all but I don't see any NFC team beating NE or Pitt.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:13 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:42 am
Posts: 4619
Location: Lafayette, LA
If the Saints were totally healthy they would have a great shot to win it all. They are the most complete team in the NFL. I think the Buffalo game was the only game were all of the starters were healthy, and we saw how that turned out.

_________________
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:28 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17882
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Man in Green wrote:
If the Saints were totally healthy they would have a great shot to win it all. They are the most complete team in the NFL. I think the Buffalo game was the only game were all of the starters were healthy, and we saw how that turned out.

Maybe so, but you dance with the girl you brought.

The Eagles would be an entirely different team too had Sproules not gone down early in the season, lost Pro Bowl tackle Jason Peters, and lost Carson Wentz, possible NFL MVP, for the season late.

See you in Philly.

_________________
A&S 1978


Last edited by TUPF on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Playoffs 2018
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:43 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:42 am
Posts: 4619
Location: Lafayette, LA
TUPF wrote:
Man in Green wrote:
If the Saints were totally healthy they would have a great shot to win it all. They are the most complete team in the NFL. I think the Buffalo game was the only game were all of the starters were healthy, and we saw how that turned out.

Maybe so, but you dance with the girl you brought.

The Eagles would be an entirely different team too had Sproules not gone down early in the season and Carson Wentz, possible NFL MVP, had not been lost for the season late.

See you in Philly.


That’s true, but the Saints have been hit extra hard with injuries all year: Armstead missed the first 6 games or so, Strief goes down in game 1, Lattimore missed a couple of games, Klein, Fleener, Peat, Okafor, and Vaccaro are on IR. It’s the next man up mentality in the NFL. I just hope we don’t run out of men.

_________________
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group