NFL Playoffs 2018

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

NFL Playoffs 2018

Post by gerryb323 »

We already have our first major collapse of the postseason as KC blows a 21-3 half time lead to Tennessee. Final score 22-21. Ouch. How does Andy Reid survive these finishes? Also, forward progress?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: NFL Playoffs 2018

Post by TUPF »

Yikes, I switched over to watch NetFlix when the Chiefs were up big and missed the drama.

At least I stuck with our SMU game when we were down 12!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

That was a heck of a game though. And the near fumble runback on the 2 point conversion... Wow.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

gerryb323 wrote:We already have our first major collapse of the postseason as KC blows a 21-3 half time lead to Tennessee. Final score 22-21. Ouch. How does Andy Reid survive these finishes? Also, forward progress?
I thought it was a quick whistle, but then again, they make a big deal about protecting the QB so if you're going to call every ticky tack late hit or slap to the helmet, then this is equally fair.

I think karma was against the Chiefs. They have lost 6 consecutive post-season home games. S-I-X. As a fan, how could you get excited about paying big money to sit out in the freezing cold for 4-5 hours knowing the outcome has been like Groundhog Day? I realize it is 6 different teams - different coaches, QBs, and all, but that makes it even more incredible.

Andy Reid seems to become a mannequin in these games - I don't know how he keeps a job.
Bring home da Wave!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

doncecco wrote:Andy Reid seems to become a mannequin in these games - I don't know how he keeps a job.
Philly fans have a tough reputation, yes, but people should understand this is exactly why he was let go despite a winning record. He’s an NFL football coach you want in September, not January. He charts everything and I mean everything. But once he’s off script or an opposing coach throws wrinkles at him, he freezes. By the time playoffs roll around, other teams are playing chess and the Big Cheeseburger is playing checkers.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

doncecco wrote:They have lost 6 consecutive post-season home games. S-I-X. As a fan, how could you get excited about paying big money to sit out in the freezing cold for 4-5 hours knowing the outcome has been like Groundhog Day? I realize it is 6 different teams - different coaches, QBs, and all, but that makes it even more incredible.
Um, you have heard of this team called the Bengals? And the coach they just renewed after two bad seasons because before that he made SEVEN playoffs without ever winning one?

I don't know about the Chiefs ownership or management, but here it's simply a matter of a tightwad owner who only cares about profit. Making the playoffs gets you more money and enough hope for the future that a good chunk of folks can be counted on to renew season tickets the following year. So making the playoffs 7 times without a win was enough for the Bengals to keep Lewis.

The strange part was this season, when they were not good and didn't make the playoffs, and fans voted with their butts by not showing up, yet Lewis was retained. I'm guessing a lot of those empty seats this past year were season ticket holders who had already paid, and just didn't show up. Next year it's going to be actual unsold seats. So unless the Bengals make the playoffs and win a game next year, Lewis will be likely gone.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Question about the Superdome. Did they change the turf to something a lot more green in color, or did they change the lighting, or both? I recall it being a lot more washed out looking in years past.

BTW, Go Saints! (Until they play the Eagles).
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:Question about the Superdome. Did they change the turf to something a lot more green in color, or did they change the lighting, or both? I recall it being a lot more washed out looking in years past.

Or you got a better TV?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

How 'bout them F-A-L-C-O-N-S!!!!

Better get ready, TUPF. Matty Ice coming home.
Plan your work, work your plan.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:Question about the Superdome. Did they change the turf to something a lot more green in color, or did they change the lighting, or both? I recall it being a lot more washed out looking in years past.

Or you got a better TV?
Same TV, same glasses, same eyes.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Rotorooter wrote:How 'bout them F-A-L-C-O-N-S!!!!

Had Carson Wentz not gone down I’d be pretty smug. With Nick Foles, a pretty pedestrian QB, nothing is certain.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TUPF wrote:

Had Carson Wentz not gone down I’d be pretty smug. With Nick Foles, a pretty pedestrian QB, nothing is certain.
Foles did go to the same HS as Brees ....
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

TUPF wrote:

Totally agree about Wentz. Given Foles, weather determines who will win. A decent day = Falcons win. Anything else, who knows.
Plan your work, work your plan.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

McCaffery is pretty damn good
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Who Dat !!!
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Several incredible nail-biters this weekend. Hope the Saints can knock off the team up in "Habitrail land." (Anyone who has been in downtown Minneapolis in the wintertime will understand this description...)
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

windywave wrote:McCaffery is pretty damn good
When I watched clips of McCaffery when he played at Stanford, I was amazed with his vision. And his vision allowed him to make great decisions where the holes were...plus he is fast And now that I see that Kamara has those skills also. Two pretty good RBs. :!:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
doncecco wrote:Andy Reid seems to become a mannequin in these games - I don't know how he keeps a job.
Philly fans have a tough reputation, yes, but people should understand this is exactly why he was let go despite a winning record. He’s an NFL football coach you want in September, not January. He charts everything and I mean everything. But once he’s off script or an opposing coach throws wrinkles at him, he freezes. By the time playoffs roll around, other teams are playing chess and the Big Cheeseburger is playing checkers.
He's obviously got his faults, but he's a really good coach. Remind me how much success the Eagles have had since letting him go?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
He's obviously got his faults, but he's a really good coach. Remind me how much success the Eagles have had since letting him go?
Well they are the 1 seed in the NFC currently
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

gerryb323 wrote:We already have our first major collapse of the postseason as KC blows a 21-3 half time lead to Tennessee. Final score 22-21. Ouch. How does Andy Reid survive these finishes? Also, forward progress?
To quote a friend of mine, the Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1991 and they STILL have a far preferable playoff experience to the Chiefs.

Sad part is everyone is going to blame Alex Smith for his bad defense
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Thanks.

It’s all about what an ownership and a fan base wants. Andy Reid is Mr. October for the wrong sport.
If an ownership wants 10 wins a season after starting 6-0 or 6-1, the Big Cheeseburger is your man. Nobody works harder. He’s the student who spends every weekend in Tilton Library and earns every B he gets but no matter what, he’ll never be Phi Beta Kappa.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
And underdog to the 6 seed
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Thanks.

It’s all about what an ownership and a fan base wants. Andy Reid is Mr. October for the wrong sport.
If an ownership wants 10 wins a season after starting 6-0 or 6-1, the Big Cheeseburger is your man. Nobody works harder. He’s the student who spends every weekend in Tilton Library and earns every B he gets but no matter what, he’ll never be Phi Beta Kappa.
He won more than 10 games in a season 6 times with the Eagles, won 10 playoff games and got them to a Super Bowl (which they had a decent chance of winning), but sure go with that.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

prof, on the radio this morning when discussing Alex Smith they opined how much better the Jags' chances would be if they had Smith at QB in their playoff run rather than Bortles(?). Also that Smith was asked to be a "Game Manager" by the Big Cheeseburger, which is what he did, but that he's capable of a lot more.

I think there's still a few games left in Smithy that there are a number of teams he could help.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GreenieBacker wrote:prof, on the radio this morning when discussing Alex Smith they opined how much better the Jags' chances would be if they had Smith at QB in their playoff run rather than Bortles(?). Also that Smith was asked to be a "Game Manager" by the Big Cheeseburger, which is what he did, but that he's capable of a lot more.

I think there's still a few games left in Smithy that there are a number of teams he could help.
Would be a massive upgrade from Bortles