NFL Playoffs 2018

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Private Joker
Coach Level

Re: NFL Playoffs 2018

Post by Private Joker »

doncecco wrote:
MattK wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:exactly, one meaningless inconsequential 10 yard penalty that had absolutely no bearing on the game. One.
the refs can't win...they only called 2 the entire game on the Panthers against the Saints and still caught doody about costing the Panthers the game.

but pass interference really needs to change to the college rule of 15 yards max. So at least you can't have a 40+ yard swing on a bad call.
Agree on PI. A ridiculous, game altering penalty that assumes the receiver would catch the ball every time. The Saints win by 10 if not for the ridiculous and then maybe appropriate, but over-penalizing calls int he first quarter in the Div Round.
Your point about the penalty assuming that "the receiver would catch the ball every time" is a good one. I've never thought of that before.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
doncecco wrote:Andy Reid seems to become a mannequin in these games - I don't know how he keeps a job.
Philly fans have a tough reputation, yes, but people should understand this is exactly why he was let go despite a winning record. He’s an NFL football coach you want in September, not January. He charts everything and I mean everything. But once he’s off script or an opposing coach throws wrinkles at him, he freezes. By the time playoffs roll around, other teams are playing chess and the Big Cheeseburger is playing checkers.
He's obviously got his faults, but he's a really good coach. Remind me how much success the Eagles have had since letting him go?
Well they are the 1 seed in the NFC currently
Thanks.

It’s all about what an ownership and a fan base wants. Andy Reid is Mr. October for the wrong sport.
If an ownership wants 10 wins a season after starting 6-0 or 6-1, the Big Cheeseburger is your man. Nobody works harder. He’s the student who spends every weekend in Tilton Library and earns every B he gets but no matter what, he’ll never be Phi Beta Kappa.
He won more than 10 games in a season 6 times with the Eagles, won 10 playoff games and got them to a Super Bowl (which they had a decent chance of winning), but sure go with that.
Your normal snark aside, you kind of reinforce my point. Andy was almost good enough but given every chance in the world, didn’t get it done. Norman Braman would have been happy with that but Jeffrey Lurie is not. Lurie would rather blow it all up and roll the dice with first Chip Kelly and now Doug Pederson and see if another way of doing things will get a ring. So far, Pederson has succeeded in giving the team a shot far quicker than anyone in Philadelphia expected. If not for a Wentz injury, we would be looking at a pretty good shot at a ring this year. Even if we exit early this year, I like our chances with a healthy Wentz next year.
Remind me again how many Super Bowls the Eagles have been to in the 40 whatever years that Reid wasn't their coach? How many NFC Championship Games? Only 1 team out of 32 gets to win the SB each year, if that's your criteria on judging coaches that's pretty silly.
Two.
Lol
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

doncecco wrote:
waverider wrote:
TUPF wrote:I had not realized until I read it just now that the Saints have won a total of one road playoff game in the history of the franchise. :shock:
And... Drew Brees is now 1-10 in Domes not called the Superdome.
If you mean visiting team in the playoffs, 1-5, Dome or not.

Which if you look at NFL history, this is not unusual for a QB not named Brady. Even Montana had most of his wins at home because they were typically the top seed.
1-0 in neutral site games, though.

If you look at those road games, @ Chicago which was a better team with a great defense and the offense/Brees didn't do much, @ Seattle (Beastquake game...was bogus that we were on the road in the first place) offense put up a lot of points despite all RBs being injured, @ 49ers offense put up 32 points against a great defense despite a million fumbles, defense blew leads repeatedly in the 4th qtr including the last possession, @ Seattle they were a better team with a great defense, offense didn't do much but had the ball in a one possession game at the end when they decided to run a cross field lateral instead of a Hail Mary. Passer rating isn't the be all end all, but his lowest rated road game was the one he won, @ Philly. He wasn't great at Chicago or in the second Seattle game, but those were awesome defenses and he averaged more than 330 yards in those two with a total of 3TDs and 1 INT. He was certainly more than good enough to win @ Seattle in '10, @ 9ers in '11, and @ Minny.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Watching Invincible for the 82nd time.

I think there’s a chance. Plus, would love to beat The Cheaters. :lol:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

So anyone besides prof rooting for the patriots?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

windywave wrote:So anyone besides prof rooting for the patriots?
I do respect Brady, but I'd have to watch the Super Bowl to root for a team. Haven't watched since '08
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:
I do respect Brady, but I'd have to watch the Super Bowl to root for a team. Haven't watched since '08
If you watched you'd root for Brady. That's what you said last year and is the case this year it appears. I reiterate who's rooting for the Patriots other than you with the caveat for you to technically root you'd have to watch the game.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
If you watched you'd root for Brady. That's what you said last year and is the case this year it appears. I reiterate who's rooting for the Patriots other than you with the caveat for you to technically root you'd have to watch the game.
Having spent my early childhood in Maine and having all of my family from the Boston area, I am mostly a Boston pro sports fan (Saints excepted). Didn't get the Saints Pats matchup I wanted due to the Minneapolis Miracle or whatever they want to call it after their collapse against the eagles. But I'll be cheering for the pats
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I'm fine with whoever wins. I was pulling for the Pats last year because I wanted to see Brady get his fifth ring and pass Montana. With that done a sixth is just gravy. It's be ok to see the Eagles win too. I'm partial to seeing new teams win championships. One of these days it might even be one of my teams :roll:
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Hey outlaw, it appears Baywave has hacked your account.
PCWave
Crest Level

Post by PCWave »

Last year I pulled for Brady and the Pats because they were playing the "Dirty Birds." This year I just don't give a darn but I lean toward the Eagles only because I generally (as a Tulane fan) pull for the underdogs.
Harahan Wave
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

:bluecrowd: :bluecrowd: :bluecrowd:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
doncecco wrote:Andy Reid seems to become a mannequin in these games - I don't know how he keeps a job.
Philly fans have a tough reputation, yes, but people should understand this is exactly why he was let go despite a winning record. He’s an NFL football coach you want in September, not January. He charts everything and I mean everything. But once he’s off script or an opposing coach throws wrinkles at him, he freezes. By the time playoffs roll around, other teams are playing chess and the Big Cheeseburger is playing checkers.
He's obviously got his faults, but he's a really good coach. Remind me how much success the Eagles have had since letting him go?
Thanks.

It’s all about what an ownership and a fan base wants. Andy Reid is Mr. October for the wrong sport.
If an ownership wants 10 wins a season after starting 6-0 or 6-1, the Big Cheeseburger is your man. Nobody works harder. He’s the student who spends every weekend in Tilton Library and earns every B he gets but no matter what, he’ll never be Phi Beta Kappa.
He won more than 10 games in a season 6 times with the Eagles, won 10 playoff games and got them to a Super Bowl (which they had a decent chance of winning), but sure go with that.
Your normal snark aside, you kind of reinforce my point. Andy was almost good enough but given every chance in the world, didn’t get it done. Norman Braman would have been happy with that but Jeffrey Lurie is not. Lurie would rather blow it all up and roll the dice with first Chip Kelly and now Doug Pederson and see if another way of doing things will get a ring. So far, Pederson has succeeded in giving the team a shot far quicker than anyone in Philadelphia expected. If not for a Wentz injury, we would be looking at a pretty good shot at a ring this year. Even if we exit early this year, I like our chances with a healthy Wentz next year.
Remind me again how many Super Bowls the Eagles have been to in the 40 whatever years that Reid wasn't their coach? How many NFC Championship Games? Only 1 team out of 32 gets to win the SB each year, if that's your criteria on judging coaches that's pretty silly.
You were saying?
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Congrats, TUPF. The Eagles were quite the story this year. Good job.

FLY EAGLES FLY!
Plan your work, work your plan.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Streets were filled last night. Incredible catharsis and joy. No incidents other that an awning collapse at the Ritz Hotel.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

TUPF wrote:Streets were filled last night. Incredible catharsis and joy. No incidents other that an awning collapse at the Ritz Hotel.
And at least one vehicle flipped on its side (on live cam).
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:
TUPF wrote:Streets were filled last night. Incredible catharsis and joy. No incidents other that an awning collapse at the Ritz Hotel.
Well, there was that. Just wanted everyone to know it’s Philly. Guy shouldn’t have parked on Broad Street. :mrgreen:
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

TUPF wrote:
Roller wrote:
Well, there was that. Just wanted everyone to know it’s Philly. Guy shouldn’t have parked on Broad Street. :mrgreen:
May a championship of the other half of your moniker be realized soon. And I mean in football. An AAC championship would suit me just fine.
Plan your work, work your plan.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Rotorooter wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Roller wrote:
May a championship of the other half of your moniker be realized soon. And I mean in football. An AAC championship would suit me just fine.
Here’s hoping! After our fade yesterday late vs. Temple I thought it might be a dismal Sunday for all things green!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Weird game. The defense on both sides was something out of an NBA All-Star game, which keeps it from being an all-timer.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Thanks.

You were saying?
I was saying that Andy Reid is a really, really, really good coach. My point still remains.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

and TUPF 's point was that Reid may be a very good coach but his teams plateau and he has yet to prove he can win the big one. Seems like his point remains as well.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

GreenieBacker wrote:and TUPF 's point was that Reid may be a very good coach but his teams plateau and he has yet to prove he can win the big one. Seems like his point remains as well.
A sports radio caller years ago said that Andy Reid can always make advance vacation plans for someplace warm in February because he’ll never be busy. Anyway, enough with that dead horse.

Who knew Doug Pederson would have the iron sack to make some of the calls he made during the postseason run? I certainly didn’t. The high school flea flicker during the playoffs and Foles catching the TD last night, along with going for it on 4th down all season takes some stones.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

TUPF wrote: Just wanted everyone to know it’s Philly. Guy shouldn’t have parked on Broad Street. :mrgreen:
This
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Philly HC knew he had to play to win against the Pats which meant trying to take advantage every play/drive he could even if it meant going for it on Fourth Down. How many times have you seen the underdog play it safe and sure and get beat?
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.