NFL Playoffs 2018

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: NFL Playoffs 2018

Post by visualmagic »

MattK wrote:The guys on Wwl postgame were referring to this as the worst moment in franchise history.

I have no clue how they could come up with that. It just feels like a complete lack of perspective of the first 40 years of saints history.

My memory mostly spans good years (save Ditka), and it’s not the worst moment of that timeframe.
Worst as in most brutal loss, it's either 1 or 2.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

waverider wrote:
TUPF wrote:I had not realized until I read it just now that the Saints have won a total of one road playoff game in the history of the franchise. :shock:
And... Drew Brees is now 1-10 in Domes not called the Superdome.
If you mean visiting team in the playoffs, 1-5, Dome or not.

Which if you look at NFL history, this is not unusual for a QB not named Brady. Even Montana had most of his wins at home because they were typically the top seed.
Bring home da Wave!
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-reco ... ?type=post

Wow, stand corrected. QB with best all time road record in playoffs?

Eli Manning.
Bring home da Wave!
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

doncecco wrote:
waverider wrote:
TUPF wrote:I had not realized until I read it just now that the Saints have won a total of one road playoff game in the history of the franchise. :shock:

Which if you look at NFL history, this is not unusual for a QB not named Brady. Even Montana had most of his wins at home because they were typically the top seed.
No. I said what meant. Drew Brees is 1-10 in Domes not named the Superdome.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

By the way, long green, what do you think of Doug Marrone as a coach now?! If you'll remember, he was a name I put out there to replace CJ and you correctly said that he would probably stay in the pros. But you didn't realize how good a record he had been in Buffalo. It helps that he has Tom Coughlin as an advisor, but the man can coach, regardless of the butt whoopin' he's about to receive.
Plan your work, work your plan.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

waverider wrote:
doncecco wrote:
waverider wrote:

This can't be right. He's beaten the Falcons alone at least 3 times on the road
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

gerryb323 wrote:
waverider wrote:
doncecco wrote:
waverider wrote:

This can't be ISN'T right. He's beaten the Falcons alone at least 3 times on the road
Beat the Cardinals in Phoenix last year... beat Indy at Indianapolis recently... guess he's not calling those stadiums "domes?"

Won in the Georgia Dome in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

doncecco wrote:http://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-reco ... ?type=post

Wow, stand corrected. QB with best all time road record in playoffs?

Eli Manning.
Makes sense. In his two Super Bowl wins the Giants entered the playoffs at 9-7 and 10-6. They were Wild Cards both times and had to play their games on the road.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

if you're a Tulane fan you know what this feels like. The crazy twist of improbable fate, the woulda', coulda', shoulda'..........
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

GreenieBacker wrote:if you're a Tulane fan you know what this feels like. The crazy twist of improbable fate, the woulda', coulda', shoulda'..........
Honestly, that is EXACTLY what I thought as the play unfolded. I was looking forward to seeing the Saints at the Linc on Sunday.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

waverider wrote:
doncecco wrote:
waverider wrote:

And you’re going to be wrong every time you say it.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Saints fans welcome home the team -

https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/952919270836457474
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Wow!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

There's no way Nick Foles can play nearly this well in two weeks, right?
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

long green wrote:There's no way Nick Foles can play nearly this well in two weeks, right?
Shhhh...
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Doug Pederson does a lot of neat outside zone concepts with an athletic OL out of the spread, I'd give the Iggles at least an icecube's chance in hell to score with Brady.

Foles is always due for a regression, though. We've seen this be unsustainable before.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
doncecco wrote:Andy Reid seems to become a mannequin in these games - I don't know how he keeps a job.
Philly fans have a tough reputation, yes, but people should understand this is exactly why he was let go despite a winning record. He’s an NFL football coach you want in September, not January. He charts everything and I mean everything. But once he’s off script or an opposing coach throws wrinkles at him, he freezes. By the time playoffs roll around, other teams are playing chess and the Big Cheeseburger is playing checkers.
He's obviously got his faults, but he's a really good coach. Remind me how much success the Eagles have had since letting him go?
Well they are the 1 seed in the NFC currently
Thanks.

It’s all about what an ownership and a fan base wants. Andy Reid is Mr. October for the wrong sport.
If an ownership wants 10 wins a season after starting 6-0 or 6-1, the Big Cheeseburger is your man. Nobody works harder. He’s the student who spends every weekend in Tilton Library and earns every B he gets but no matter what, he’ll never be Phi Beta Kappa.
He won more than 10 games in a season 6 times with the Eagles, won 10 playoff games and got them to a Super Bowl (which they had a decent chance of winning), but sure go with that.
Your normal snark aside, you kind of reinforce my point. Andy was almost good enough but given every chance in the world, didn’t get it done. Norman Braman would have been happy with that but Jeffrey Lurie is not. Lurie would rather blow it all up and roll the dice with first Chip Kelly and now Doug Pederson and see if another way of doing things will get a ring. So far, Pederson has succeeded in giving the team a shot far quicker than anyone in Philadelphia expected. If not for a Wentz injury, we would be looking at a pretty good shot at a ring this year. Even if we exit early this year, I like our chances with a healthy Wentz next year.
Remind me again how many Super Bowls the Eagles have been to in the 40 whatever years that Reid wasn't their coach? How many NFC Championship Games? Only 1 team out of 32 gets to win the SB each year, if that's your criteria on judging coaches that's pretty silly.
Two.
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

Congratulations to the Eagles, and TUPF. I hope and pray they can derail the Brady Express, but the Patriots are nearly impossible to beat as long as Brady is out there.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Man in Green wrote:Congratulations to the Eagles, and TUPF. I hope and pray they can derail the Brady Express, but the Patriots are nearly impossible to beat as long as Brady is out there.
I second that. Once the Pats beat the Jaguars, I became a fan of whoever won the NFC. There are certain teams I will always cheer against; the Patriots is one.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

Man in Green wrote:Congratulations to the Eagles, and TUPF. I hope and pray they can derail the Brady Express, but the Patriots are nearly impossible to beat as long as Brady is out there.
To paraphrase you a bit, "the Patriots are nearly impossible to beat as long at Brady and the referees are out there."

Case in point: yesterday. A bogus PI call that directly led to a Patriots touchdown just before halftime yesterday.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

yes, and remind me again how many penalties the Pats got all game?
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

GreenieBacker wrote:yes, and remind me again how many penalties the Pats got all game?
I think it was one penalty.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

exactly, one meaningless inconsequential 10 yard penalty that had absolutely no bearing on the game. One.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

GreenieBacker wrote:exactly, one meaningless inconsequential 10 yard penalty that had absolutely no bearing on the game. One.
the refs can't win...they only called 2 the entire game on the Panthers against the Saints and still caught doody about costing the Panthers the game.

but pass interference really needs to change to the college rule of 15 yards max. So at least you can't have a 40+ yard swing on a bad call.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

MattK wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:exactly, one meaningless inconsequential 10 yard penalty that had absolutely no bearing on the game. One.
the refs can't win...they only called 2 the entire game on the Panthers against the Saints and still caught doody about costing the Panthers the game.

but pass interference really needs to change to the college rule of 15 yards max. So at least you can't have a 40+ yard swing on a bad call.
Agree on PI. A ridiculous, game altering penalty that assumes the receiver would catch the ball every time. The Saints win by 10 if not for the ridiculous and then maybe appropriate, but over-penalizing calls int he first quarter in the Div Round.
Bring home da Wave!