Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:14 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24566
Location: New Orleans
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ies-age-89

RIP.

Talk about the soundtrack to one's youth. The voice of college football on television for as long as there will be college football on television.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:30 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Posts: 3323
Location: North Haven, CT
Always had the best games. When you heard his voice, you pretty much knew it was time to plop down for 3 hours and enjoy!

_________________
Bring home da Wave!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:33 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19707
Location: Cincinnati, OH
RIP. One of the legendary voices of the game.

They should serve Dreamland BBQ at his funeral, since he sorta was responsible for it being what it is....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:57 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 18674
Location: Chicago
He WAS college football to me. Whoa Nellie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:14 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17832
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Whoa Nellie is right. Back before TVs were ubiquitous in dorms and PCs didn’t exist, I’d go to the (then) UC and watch Saturday afternoon football on the lone TV there before we played later that night. Keith Jackson was the soundtrack of sports Saturdays.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:22 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6397
Location: Dripping Springs
TUPF wrote:
Whoa Nellie is right. Back before TVs were ubiquitous in dorms and PCs didn’t exist, I’d go to the (then) UC and watch Saturday afternoon football on the lone TV there before we played later that night. Keith Jackson was the soundtrack of sports Saturdays.

... and where was that TV located in the UC?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:34 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6397
Location: Dripping Springs
From Mr. Jackson's last broadcast --

https://twitter.com/LonghornNetwork/status/952226599029624832


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:37 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17832
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
sr wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Whoa Nellie is right. Back before TVs were ubiquitous in dorms and PCs didn’t exist, I’d go to the (then) UC and watch Saturday afternoon football on the lone TV there before we played later that night. Keith Jackson was the soundtrack of sports Saturdays.

... and where was that TV located in the UC?

Really pushing the memory bank here but if I recall correctly it was a “big” console TV located in a little lounge area located up that large staircase on the left as you entered the UC from the McAlister side. By big it might have been a 25” TV, if that.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:40 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6397
Location: Dripping Springs
TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Whoa Nellie is right. Back before TVs were ubiquitous in dorms and PCs didn’t exist, I’d go to the (then) UC and watch Saturday afternoon football on the lone TV there before we played later that night. Keith Jackson was the soundtrack of sports Saturdays.

... and where was that TV located in the UC?

Really pushing the memory bank here but if I recall correctly it was a big console TV located in a little lounge area located up that large staircase on the left as you entered the UC from McAlister.

Exactly. I had to think for a bit, but that's where it was and an old wooden console set. One forgets how simple things were.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:01 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 18674
Location: Chicago
Roller had it worse, he had to wait until the play by play was transcribed into cuneiform, the clay to dry, and then get it delivered


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:15 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17832
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
windywave wrote:
Roller had it worse, he had to wait until the play by play was transcribed into cuneiform, the clay to dry, and then get it delivered
by river barge.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:05 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 18674
Location: Chicago
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
Roller had it worse, he had to wait until the play by play was transcribed into cuneiform, the clay to dry, and then get it delivered
by river barge.


I thought it was by trierme


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:14 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7009
Location: Wisconsin
RIP Keith ........ Great Memories !!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:51 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:40 am
Posts: 1829
Location: Brooksville, Florida
I remember him doing the Georgia at Tulane games in the early 70's. Tulane a winner that day in the Bennie Ellender era. Think i'm right about this, it was an ABC broadcast.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:45 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:42 am
Posts: 4618
Location: Lafayette, LA
Now we have Herbsreit :?

_________________
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:22 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3373
Location: Marietta, GA
G.O.A.T. RIP.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:31 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8082
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
windywave wrote:
He WAS college football to me. Whoa Nellie


If you were watching a game in which Jackson was doing the play-by-play you knew you were watching the best game of that weekend. RIP.

Fan since '54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group