Jim Henderson retires as Saints play by play announcer

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Jim Henderson retires as Saints play by play announcer

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Re: Jim Henderson retires as Saints play by play announcer

Post by IM42lane »

My all-time favorite sports announcers ALWAYS will be:

1. Vin Scully (L.A. Dodgers) -- I did not even like the Dodgers, because I was a S.D. Padres fan in the mid-1970's

2. Dick Enberg (Calif. Angels)

3. Chick Hearn (L.A. Lakers) -- I did not like the Lakers, because I was a Celtics fan

4. Bruce Miller & Wayne Mack - The best sports broadcast team that Tulane EVER had

5. Jim Henderson -- We'll definitely miss you, Jim. Good luck and enjoy your retirement!
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I’ll add:

Todd Graffinini :green wink:

Harry KalLas, NFL Films in my childhood and Philadelphia Phillies
Merrill Reese, Philadelphia Eagles
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Pee Wee Reese and Dizzy Dean. The Golden Age of Baseball

*sigh*
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Since this thread has totally morphed into a "Favorite Announcer" thing I'd like to add my favorite...Mike Lange of the Pittsburgh Penguins. His catchphrases are know throughout the hockey world.

Check them out below. My favorite is "Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis has just left the building". It means the Pens have won. I also use it for myself, referencing Tulane, especially when watching the Wave on TV.

The one that to me is the funniest though is "Let's go hunt moose on a Harley". Just try and get a mental picture of that one. :roll:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/dd/0c ... eb998c.jpg

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I have to add Jack Buck; I grew up listening to KMOX and the Cardinals games, meaning Jack Buck and Mike Shannon.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Two different local radio shows mentioned Graff as a potential candidate to get the job
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:Two different local radio shows mentioned Graff as a potential candidate to get the job
I'm sure all the purple and gold folks in the region would love having a Tulane guy as the voice of their favorite NFL team!
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

WaveProf wrote:Two different local radio shows mentioned Graff as a potential candidate to get the job
Please, no! He's OUR Voice!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

He's not going to get the job but if he did his on-air gloom when things don't go perfectly would get him run out of there quickly. We put up with it because he's one of us.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

long green wrote: He's not going to get the job but if he did his on-air gloom when things don't go perfectly would get him run out of there quickly. We put up with it because he's one of us .
Todd NEEDS a color analyst like Wayne Mack (Bruce Miller's 1970's color man) in the booth to lighten up things a bit. I know that Todd has been around now for quite a while, but the type A similarities between him and Bruce Miller are so scary close. When Bruce added Wayne Mack as his radio sidekick back in those old days, the team that was formed was the absolute best. Bruce continued to do the play-by-play and became Wayne Mack's straight man. Everybody in New Orleans loved that combination, including the LSU and Saints faithful.

Just my thoughts.
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

IM42lane wrote:
long green wrote: He's not going to get the job but if he did his on-air gloom when things don't go perfectly would get him run out of there quickly. We put up with it because he's one of us .
Todd NEEDS a color analyst like Wayne Mack (Bruce Miller's 1970's color man) in the booth to lighten up things a bit. I know that Todd has been around now for quite a while, but the type A similarities between him and Bruce Miller are so scary close. When Bruce added Wayne Mack as his radio sidekick back in those old days, the team that was formed was the absolute best. Bruce continued to do the play-by-play and became Wayne Mack's straight man. Everybody in New Orleans loved that combination, including the LSU and Saints faithful.

Just my thoughts.
Having someone else in the booth seems to distract Todd from what he does best, IMO. He translates the view into a detailed word-picture, with all the spaces filled in. When there is somebody else, he often moves along from their prompting, getting away from the detail he had in his mind.

That statement probably didn't explain very well the mental concept I have. I'm sure that it's a lot less stressful for him to have a sidekick (like Steve Barrios) to let his mind take some rest breaks, but as a listener, I much prefer him when he's running on his own.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Probably going to be Sean Kelly. Already works for Benson through the Pels.
Bring home da Wave!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

FWIW Todd G. is the best football announcers and one of the best baseball announcers I've ever listened to, and I thought that long before I was wearing green colored glasses. In fact, he was one of the things that helped me get really hooked on TU athletics.

The only thing I don't like about his announcing is that he (self admittedly) stole "this one belongs to the Wave" from my baseball radio hero Marty Brennaman
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

A coworker told me today that Duncan and Holder were talking about Graf as a replacement. They played a few of his more exciting calls, but not before emphasizing that being a Tulane announcer meant he didn’t have many things to get excited about.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

IM42lane wrote:

Just my thoughts.
You could always tell who was winning the game by the tone of Bruce Miller's voice when you finally got WWL on the radio, static and all. After a key play, he wouldn't tell you what happened if it was bad, he just said, "Oh Brother". I still remember watching a live after game interview in the locker room when Wayne Mack was talking to someone. In the background, a player walked by in full frontal nudity, but nobody said anything about it. I loved those two announcers.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Cheerleader wrote:... when you finally got WWL on the radio, static and all.
Considering WWL is a 50,000-watt clear channel "voice of America" station, and has been since the 30s, if you had static I'm guessing it was quality of your radio, not the channel. :mrgreen:

When the weather is clear and cool, I can get WWL up here in Cincinnati. My parents (here in Cincinnati) used to listen to the Perry Clark show back when I played.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

TG listed in top 5 candidates (with bio) here:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... rt_m-rpt-2