Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:14 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 3009
Location: New Orleans
The story mentions payments to then LSU Junior Tim Quarterman totaling $16,000 from the agents tied to the FBI college hoops probe. Mitchell Robinson's family also apparently was wined and dined by one of the agents.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/exclusive- ... 38484.html

http://www.tigerrag.com/documents-tim-q ... ation-lsu/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:54 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5855
I suspect in scope and scale this may soon rival the college betting and game fixing scandals of the early fifties that brought down CCNY, KY and lots of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:34 am 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:27 pm
Posts: 321
Location: DC
Would assume that this is the tip of the iceberg. If one agent is doing it, they all probably are.

Maybe the one positive of not being very good for an extended period of time is that we're not likely to see Tulane mentioned. Our new conference member Wichita State is also mentioned.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3575
Location: Marietta, GA
College hoops is probably one of the dirtiest sports businesses there is, and that's saying something. We're about to be shown all the kah-kah that's been going on.

What I don't get is why Pitino is trying so hard to salvage his career? I mean, c'mon, man, you got caught, you've made plenty of money, there is very little evidence that your integrity will be salvaged, all you're doing is pointing to the University and your assistants as the culprits while taking no ownership of your own, no team in the pros are going to hire you, given your past experience there. Then there is the restaurant table THING. So many transgressions. What other institution is going to hire a guy like this? Oh, that's right, Bruce Pearl is working today, I forgot.

I'm going to go take a shower now.

Some people should just go live a different life and repent. Jeez.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20581
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Isn't Pitino into thoroughbred racing? You'd think he'd just disappear into that and we'd only hear from him if he had a horse in the triple crown races each spring. Not like he couldn't make the money to which he's accustomed in that sport, and his transgressions probably wouldn't bother anyone there (another sport where, similarly, everyone cheats already and it's just who is best at not getting caught).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:53 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5855
PeteRasche wrote:
Isn't Pitino into thoroughbred racing? You'd think he'd just disappear into that and we'd only hear from him if he had a horse in the triple crown races each spring. Not like he couldn't make the money to which he's accustomed in that sport, and his transgressions probably wouldn't bother anyone there (another sport where, similarly, everyone cheats already and it's just who is best at not getting caught).


In fact prior "transgressions" are of interest here. Race horse owners must be licensed and applicants must report criminal record including felonies and the like. How each state evaluates that for approval I don't know but presumably someone convicted of a crime involving violating operating rules of another sport (or in common parlance "cheating") would raise a lot of questions with the licensing authorities.

In other words what happens legally with the FBI and his UL recruiting could very well impact his racing business. Just my reaction as a layman to the post. Best to consult the experts on this.

http://racinglicense.com/forms/nrcnew.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:14 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18483
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
I’d keep our powder dry on this one. We may be the reformed alcoholic due to our own Hot Rod Williams scandal many years ago but that doesn’t mean someone somewhere didn’t do something wrong.

This has the possibility of dropping a multimegaton bomb in the middle of all college sports and could change the landscape.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | Slow learner


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:05 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20581
Location: Cincinnati, OH
USA Today's version of the story, which, along with the players mentioned in the Yahoo story, includes a list of schools in the crosshairs:
Quote:
The website reports that players, or family members of players, from the following other schools are listed in the documents: Clemson, Creighton, Iowa State, Kansas, Louisville, North Carolina, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Texas, USC, Utah, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wichita State and Xavier.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... li=BBnb7Kz


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 5706
Location: Omnipresent
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... estigation
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:16 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3575
Location: Marietta, GA
1309th WAVE wrote:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22559284/sean-miller-arizona-christian-dawkins-discussed-payment-ensure-deandre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation
Image


Somebody buy that man a t-shirt. Or at least tell him to wear one.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:38 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20367
Location: Chicago
I think going after people for not paying taxes i.e. the players and their families should be front and center too.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:03 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18483
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
windywave wrote:
I think going after people for not paying taxes i.e. the players and their families should be front and center too.

If it was good enough to take down Al Capone...

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | Slow learner


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4534
Location: Wichita
Will Wade now under investigation. Allegedly

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:45 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4534
Location: Wichita
So Sean Miller's buyout doubles if he's fired for cause vs without cause due to an apparent contact mistake by Arizona. Fun!

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:09 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20367
Location: Chicago
gerryb323 wrote:
So Sean Miller's buyout doubles if he's fired for cause vs without cause due to an apparent contact mistake by Arizona. Fun!


That is ABSOLUTELY frick AWESOME

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24820
Location: New Orleans
windywave wrote:
I think going after people for not paying taxes i.e. the players and their families should be front and center too.


This.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:56 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10002
long green wrote:
windywave wrote:
I think going after people for not paying taxes i.e. the players and their families should be front and center too.


This.

Yes, let's make sure we get the true bad actors in all of this, the kids.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24820
Location: New Orleans
If a kid and his family take a big cash handout and do not report it are they evading tax? I wouldn't release the hounds on everyone, you couldn't, but making a few examples might do some good. The class of people who need to be cleaned out are the AAU coaches and the agents. Fewer of those to focus on so that's good.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:30 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10002
long green wrote:
If a kid and his family take a big cash handout and do not report it are they evading tax? I wouldn't release the hounds on everyone, you couldn't, but making a few examples might do some good. The class of people who need to be cleaned out are the AAU coaches and the agents. Fewer of those to focus on so that's good.

Sure, if it's taxable. Most numbers I've seen aren't terribly big and there are ways to get around paying taxes anyway (gifts, loans, etc.). The real class of people to clean out are the NCAA.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:36 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24820
Location: New Orleans
Yes, the bigger numbers are rare. As for taking out the NCAA, I might be in favor of that if someone could propose something decent to replace it. The only thing I'd be in favor of now is abolishing the CEO/president position. Any decently trained and educated bureaucrat could do that job for one-tenth the cost of maintaining Mark Emmert and his ego.* As of now, I think getting rid of the NCAA would lead us to something worse, possibly much worse.



*the NFL should do that too but that's a different conversation

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:43 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20367
Location: Chicago
ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:
If a kid and his family take a big cash handout and do not report it are they evading tax? I wouldn't release the hounds on everyone, you couldn't, but making a few examples might do some good. The class of people who need to be cleaned out are the AAU coaches and the agents. Fewer of those to focus on so that's good.

Sure, if it's taxable. Most numbers I've seen aren't terribly big and there are ways to get around paying taxes anyway (gifts, loans, etc.). The real class of people to clean out are the NCAA.


Gift taxes and loans that are fraudulent are taxable. It would discourage people from taking illicit money

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:50 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20367
Location: Chicago
long green wrote:
Yes, the bigger numbers are rare. As for taking out the NCAA, I might be in favor of that if someone could propose something decent to replace it. The only thing I'd be in favor of now is abolishing the CEO/president position. Any decently trained and educated bureaucrat could do that job for one-tenth the cost of maintaining Mark Emmert and his ego.* As of now, I think getting rid of the NCAA would lead us to something worse, possibly much worse.



*the NFL should do that too but that's a different conversation


Infinitely worse IMO

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:03 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10002
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:
If a kid and his family take a big cash handout and do not report it are they evading tax? I wouldn't release the hounds on everyone, you couldn't, but making a few examples might do some good. The class of people who need to be cleaned out are the AAU coaches and the agents. Fewer of those to focus on so that's good.

Sure, if it's taxable. Most numbers I've seen aren't terribly big and there are ways to get around paying taxes anyway (gifts, loans, etc.). The real class of people to clean out are the NCAA.


Gift taxes and loans that are fraudulent are taxable. It would discourage people from taking illicit money

The recipient is not responsible for paying taxes on gifts. Agents don't make fraudulent loans to players, they are looking to get paid back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:22 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20367
Location: Chicago
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:
If a kid and his family take a big cash handout and do not report it are they evading tax? I wouldn't release the hounds on everyone, you couldn't, but making a few examples might do some good. The class of people who need to be cleaned out are the AAU coaches and the agents. Fewer of those to focus on so that's good.

Sure, if it's taxable. Most numbers I've seen aren't terribly big and there are ways to get around paying taxes anyway (gifts, loans, etc.). The real class of people to clean out are the NCAA.


Gift taxes and loans that are fraudulent are taxable. It would discourage people from taking illicit money

The recipient is not responsible for paying taxes on gifts. Agents don't make fraudulent loans to players, they are looking to get paid back.


A) I am aware the donor is responsible B) Are the donors paying said taxes? C) a gift may be characterized as income D) The loans have great potential to be fraudulent including but not limited to reduction to writing, terms, expectation of repayment and interest rate charged.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:27 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10002
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:
If a kid and his family take a big cash handout and do not report it are they evading tax? I wouldn't release the hounds on everyone, you couldn't, but making a few examples might do some good. The class of people who need to be cleaned out are the AAU coaches and the agents. Fewer of those to focus on so that's good.

Sure, if it's taxable. Most numbers I've seen aren't terribly big and there are ways to get around paying taxes anyway (gifts, loans, etc.). The real class of people to clean out are the NCAA.


Gift taxes and loans that are fraudulent are taxable. It would discourage people from taking illicit money

The recipient is not responsible for paying taxes on gifts. Agents don't make fraudulent loans to players, they are looking to get paid back.


A) I am aware the donor is responsible B) Are the donors paying said taxes? C) a gift may be characterized as income D) The loans have great potential to be fraudulent including but not limited to reduction to writing, terms, expectation of repayment and interest rate charged.

A) But we're advocating going after the kids and families not paying taxes, no? B) Idk, and, see "A)" C) ok, that'll be a fun one D) Lol, agents expect to get paid with interest and can probably trot out dozens of examples to prove their history/intention in doing so (hence the spreadsheets in the first place)...now if they forgive the loan that'd be income the kid would have to claim but, considering all these are recent transactions...good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group