Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:14 am 
President's Circle

The story mentions payments to then LSU Junior Tim Quarterman totaling $16,000 from the agents tied to the FBI college hoops probe. Mitchell Robinson's family also apparently was wined and dined by one of the agents.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/exclusive- ... 38484.html

http://www.tigerrag.com/documents-tim-q ... ation-lsu/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:54 am 
Regent's Circle

I suspect in scope and scale this may soon rival the college betting and game fixing scandals of the early fifties that brought down CCNY, KY and lots of others.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:34 am 
Breaker Level

Would assume that this is the tip of the iceberg. If one agent is doing it, they all probably are.

Maybe the one positive of not being very good for an extended period of time is that we're not likely to see Tulane mentioned. Our new conference member Wichita State is also mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am 
President's Circle

College hoops is probably one of the dirtiest sports businesses there is, and that's saying something. We're about to be shown all the kah-kah that's been going on.

What I don't get is why Pitino is trying so hard to salvage his career? I mean, c'mon, man, you got caught, you've made plenty of money, there is very little evidence that your integrity will be salvaged, all you're doing is pointing to the University and your assistants as the culprits while taking no ownership of your own, no team in the pros are going to hire you, given your past experience there. Then there is the restaurant table THING. So many transgressions. What other institution is going to hire a guy like this? Oh, that's right, Bruce Pearl is working today, I forgot.

I'm going to go take a shower now.

Some people should just go live a different life and repent. Jeez.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 am 
Emerald Circle

Isn't Pitino into thoroughbred racing? You'd think he'd just disappear into that and we'd only hear from him if he had a horse in the triple crown races each spring. Not like he couldn't make the money to which he's accustomed in that sport, and his transgressions probably wouldn't bother anyone there (another sport where, similarly, everyone cheats already and it's just who is best at not getting caught).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:53 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Isn't Pitino into thoroughbred racing? You'd think he'd just disappear into that and we'd only hear from him if he had a horse in the triple crown races each spring. Not like he couldn't make the money to which he's accustomed in that sport, and his transgressions probably wouldn't bother anyone there (another sport where, similarly, everyone cheats already and it's just who is best at not getting caught).

In fact prior "transgressions" are of interest here. Race horse owners must be licensed and applicants must report criminal record including felonies and the like. How each state evaluates that for approval I don't know but presumably someone convicted of a crime involving violating operating rules of another sport (or in common parlance "cheating") would raise a lot of questions with the licensing authorities.

In other words what happens legally with the FBI and his UL recruiting could very well impact his racing business. Just my reaction as a layman to the post. Best to consult the experts on this.

http://racinglicense.com/forms/nrcnew.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:14 am 
Emerald Circle

I’d keep our powder dry on this one. We may be the reformed alcoholic due to our own Hot Rod Williams scandal many years ago but that doesn’t mean someone somewhere didn’t do something wrong.

This has the possibility of dropping a multimegaton bomb in the middle of all college sports and could change the landscape.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

USA Today's version of the story, which, along with the players mentioned in the Yahoo story, includes a list of schools in the crosshairs:
Quote:
The website reports that players, or family members of players, from the following other schools are listed in the documents: Clemson, Creighton, Iowa State, Kansas, Louisville, North Carolina, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Texas, USC, Utah, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wichita State and Xavier.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 pm 
Regent's Circle

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... estigation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:16 am 
President's Circle

1309th WAVE wrote:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22559284/sean-miller-arizona-christian-dawkins-discussed-payment-ensure-deandre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation

Somebody buy that man a t-shirt. Or at least tell him to wear one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:38 pm 
Emerald Circle

I think going after people for not paying taxes i.e. the players and their families should be front and center too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
I think going after people for not paying taxes i.e. the players and their families should be front and center too.

If it was good enough to take down Al Capone...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 pm 
President's Circle

Will Wade now under investigation. Allegedly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:45 am 
President's Circle

So Sean Miller's buyout doubles if he's fired for cause vs without cause due to an apparent contact mistake by Arizona. Fun!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:09 am 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
So Sean Miller's buyout doubles if he's fired for cause vs without cause due to an apparent contact mistake by Arizona. Fun!

That is ABSOLUTELY frick AWESOME

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 am 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:

This.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:56 am 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
windywave wrote:

This.

Yes, let's make sure we get the true bad actors in all of this, the kids.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

If a kid and his family take a big cash handout and do not report it are they evading tax? I wouldn't release the hounds on everyone, you couldn't, but making a few examples might do some good. The class of people who need to be cleaned out are the AAU coaches and the agents. Fewer of those to focus on so that's good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:30 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
If a kid and his family take a big cash handout and do not report it are they evading tax? I wouldn't release the hounds on everyone, you couldn't, but making a few examples might do some good. The class of people who need to be cleaned out are the AAU coaches and the agents. Fewer of those to focus on so that's good.

Sure, if it's taxable. Most numbers I've seen aren't terribly big and there are ways to get around paying taxes anyway (gifts, loans, etc.). The real class of people to clean out are the NCAA.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:36 pm 
Emerald Circle

Yes, the bigger numbers are rare. As for taking out the NCAA, I might be in favor of that if someone could propose something decent to replace it. The only thing I'd be in favor of now is abolishing the CEO/president position. Any decently trained and educated bureaucrat could do that job for one-tenth the cost of maintaining Mark Emmert and his ego.* As of now, I think getting rid of the NCAA would lead us to something worse, possibly much worse.

*the NFL should do that too but that's a different conversation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:43 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:

Sure, if it's taxable. Most numbers I've seen aren't terribly big and there are ways to get around paying taxes anyway (gifts, loans, etc.). The real class of people to clean out are the NCAA.

Gift taxes and loans that are fraudulent are taxable. It would discourage people from taking illicit money

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
Yes, the bigger numbers are rare. As for taking out the NCAA, I might be in favor of that if someone could propose something decent to replace it. The only thing I'd be in favor of now is abolishing the CEO/president position. Any decently trained and educated bureaucrat could do that job for one-tenth the cost of maintaining Mark Emmert and his ego.* As of now, I think getting rid of the NCAA would lead us to something worse, possibly much worse.

*the NFL should do that too but that's a different conversation

Infinitely worse IMO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:

Gift taxes and loans that are fraudulent are taxable. It would discourage people from taking illicit money

The recipient is not responsible for paying taxes on gifts. Agents don't make fraudulent loans to players, they are looking to get paid back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:22 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:

The recipient is not responsible for paying taxes on gifts. Agents don't make fraudulent loans to players, they are looking to get paid back.

A) I am aware the donor is responsible B) Are the donors paying said taxes? C) a gift may be characterized as income D) The loans have great potential to be fraudulent including but not limited to reduction to writing, terms, expectation of repayment and interest rate charged.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:27 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:

A) I am aware the donor is responsible B) Are the donors paying said taxes? C) a gift may be characterized as income D) The loans have great potential to be fraudulent including but not limited to reduction to writing, terms, expectation of repayment and interest rate charged.

A) But we're advocating going after the kids and families not paying taxes, no? B) Idk, and, see "A)" C) ok, that'll be a fun one D) Lol, agents expect to get paid with interest and can probably trot out dozens of examples to prove their history/intention in doing so (hence the spreadsheets in the first place)...now if they forgive the loan that'd be income the kid would have to claim but, considering all these are recent transactions...good luck.