For FS54

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

For FS54

Post by PeteRasche »

38 years ago today...

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: For FS54

Post by TUPF »

Not just FS54.

It’s hard to explain to anyone who was not already an adult in the teeth of the Cold War just how big a deal this game was. I was a LT on a 10 year old submarine hearing about the Soviets cranking out three new boats every month. We were convinced we were going to war imminently. We operated on a wartime footing while most of you were unaware.

For a bunch of college kids to beat the Red Army team for the gold was beyond incredible. The movie Miracle does a good job on the hockey side of things but it doesn’t quite capture the geopolitics, at least the kind I was living.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TUPF wrote:Not just FS54.

It’s hard to explain to anyone who was not already an adult in the teeth of the Cold War just how big a deal this game was. I was a LT on a 10 year old submarine hearing about the Soviets cranking out three new boats every month. We were convinced we were going to war imminently. We operated on a wartime footing while most of you were unaware.

For a bunch of college kids to beat the Red Army team for the gold was beyond incredible. The movie Miracle does a good job on the hockey side of things but it doesn’t quite capture the geopolitics, at least the kind I was living.
Good that you weren't on the 'Bedford' :wink:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I should have been clearer, I was just saving him the effort of posting it today, since he posts it (at least) once per year. :mrgreen:

It certainly resonates with all who were of "cognizant" age at the time. I was only 8 at the time and even I knew it was a huge deal. My parents watched the local and national news every night after dinner so I was aware of the Cold War despite being in early grade school. USSR was the enemy - like Darth Vader and the Joker and Lex Luther... only way more REAL.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:I should have been clearer, I was just saving him the effort of posting it today, since he posts it (at least) once per year. :mrgreen:

It certainly resonates with all who were of "cognizant" age at the time. I was only 8 at the time and even I knew it was a huge deal. My parents watched the local and national news every night after dinner so I was aware of the Cold War despite being in early grade school. USSR was the enemy - like Darth Vader and the Joker and Lex Luther... only way more REAL.
Yup, and to paraphrase the Joker...they had lots of wonderful toys. Little did we know then that they could crank out new ships, boats, and planes monthly but the populace had to stand in line for eggs.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

sr wrote:

Fire one!
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:

Fire one!
Yeah - famous last words.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Thanks Pete. And that game is still my favorite sports event of my lifetime. It even trumps (can I use that word here without this post being taken down?) TU 14 LSU 0 in '73.

The game itself was not telecast live here in the USA, but when it came on you could tell the USA had prevailed by the demeanor of the host that night. That game was also voted the best sports moment of the 20th century.

Another thing about that game was the tickets to that game were something like $65. Cheap at half the price.

And Al MIchaels' "Do you believe in miracles? YES!" are the 6 best words I have ever heard. Well, maybe after "You can now kiss the bride". :roll:

Editing here: Herb Brooks in his speech before the gold medal game vs Finland 2 days later: "If you don't win this game you will take it to your f'n grave." :wink:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

I just found out about this. And does it really surprise anyone?

http://www.usahockey.com/news_article/s ... f-all-time

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Chiz82
Coach Level

Post by Chiz82 »

I was 4, and didn't fall in love with hockey until I was 17. But this moment is still the best. I still watch the original documentary and the movie when its on. Still gives me chills.
side note, I have all of my great-grandmothers diaries from mid 30s till her death in 1993. She even wrote about it when they all found out the USA won. Was the only thing winter Olympics related I ever seen in any of her diaries.
he missed it
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Chiz82 wrote:I was 4, and didn't fall in love with hockey until I was 17. But this moment is still the best. I still watch the original documentary and the movie when its on. Still gives me chills.
side note, I have all of my great-grandmothers diaries from mid 30s till her death in 1993. She even wrote about it when they all found out the USA won. Was the only thing winter Olympics related I ever seen in any of her diaries.
That's really cool!