More Touchbacks?

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

More Touchbacks?

Post by WaveProf »

NCAA proposal for fair catches inside the 25 to be placed at the 25

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... cks-easier
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: More Touchbacks?

Post by Roller »

WaveProf wrote:NCAA proposal for fair catches inside the 25 to be placed at the 25

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... cks-easier
Where does it end? It's an unsafe game, period. If they are serious about making it "safe," then just don't play the game. Or do it virtually, on computers.

Our society has regressed appallingly in the last few decades.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Roller wrote:Our society has regressed appallingly in the last few decades.
Said everyone over age 35, ever.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I just saw a series of “what it was like growing up in the 60s” charts. Hilarious. My parents would have been arrested nowadays. Giant station wagon which may or may not have had seat belts stuffed under the upholstery. Father smoked 2 packs a day of Pall Mall unfiltered so I should be manifesting second hand lung cancer any day now. Nearly fractured my skull riding my banana bike down a steep hill without a helmet...what helmet? There were no bike helmets! Sleepovers outside which usually ended up at at ocean cove burning driftwood at 2am. Launched model rockets unsupervised and nearly decapitated one of the younger siblings. Rode bikes several miles each way to school over rural roads with no means of tracking comings and goings. Skated on half frozen ponds and occasionally broke through the ice.

It’s a wonder I made it out of childhood.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote:
Roller wrote:Our society has regressed appallingly in the last few decades.
Said everyone over age 35, ever.
+1 Pete. Times a thousand.

That said, I will say, if they want to make it where no one EVER returns a kickoff, why not just skip the kick off and put the ball on the 25? I know, I know, it takes away the surprise onside kick. But otherwise.....
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Punters are people too (due to results over recent years here we may have forgotten this). Taking this aspect out of the game will severely impact the effect having a great punter can have on your chances of winning. The teams with elite punters almost never give up returns anyway. So instead of rewarding the talent it takes to hit a high sideline angled punt with backspin inside of your 50, you're just going to have punters booting the ball into the first row out the back of the endzone.

Special teams plays are still the most dangerous in the sport, but even if they think this is the least terrible solution it is still going to make people mad. The NCAA's problem-solving abilities (or lack thereof) remain inexplicable.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

1309—. Sorry for not being clear, rule would just be for kickoffs.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Oh. You only ever see fat guys/upbacks fair catch on kickoffs and they're usually well past the 25. Kickoffs are even more dangerous than punts but I have yet to see a solution that also doesn't suck. The skill of being able to float a kickoff just outside the EZ so your coverage can tackle the returner inside the 25 still applies but far fewer teams have the ability to do that.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

The idea is more will call a fair catch if it moves to 25
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

It's basically countering Bellichek's kickoff strategy to have his kicker pop it up to the 2 or 3. At some point last year, I saw that they were saving a somewhere around 3 or 4 yards of field position over touchbacks to the 25. I doubt there's any college kickers good enough to use that as a strategy.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Approved

NCAA approves biggest change yet to kickoff rule
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... koff-rule/
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TUPF wrote:I just saw a series of “what it was like growing up in the 60s” charts. Hilarious. My parents would have been arrested nowadays. Giant station wagon which may or may not have had seat belts stuffed under the upholstery. Father smoked 2 packs a day of Pall Mall unfiltered so I should be manifesting second hand lung cancer any day now. Nearly fractured my skull riding my banana bike down a steep hill without a helmet...what helmet? There were no bike helmets! Sleepovers outside which usually ended up at at ocean cove burning driftwood at 2am. Launched model rockets unsupervised and nearly decapitated one of the younger siblings. Rode bikes several miles each way to school over rural roads with no means of tracking comings and goings. Skated on half frozen ponds and occasionally broke through the ice.

It’s a wonder I made it out of childhood.
Exactly.
Last edited by sr on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:Approved

NCAA approves biggest change yet to kickoff rule
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... koff-rule/
Reason number 5,287 why I love my wife: "what, next are they gonna just remove tackling and make it touch football?"
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

If the goal is to one day get rid of kickoffs, then do it now. Why delay what seems to be coming? Special teams will one day be a thing of the past (except for kicking field goals).
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Who wants to see anyone get hurt? But as a selfish Tulane fan, I guess I should be in favor of any rule change that lessens impact of special teams where Tulane has been admittedly under achieving since Santos left. But is it "better" football for all concerned including fans? I doubt it.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

IM42lane wrote: If the goal is to one day get rid of kickoffs, then do it now. Why delay what seems to be coming? Special teams will one day be a thing of the past (except for kicking field goals).
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

“The Football Rules Committee made the proposal to continue efforts to increase the number of touchbacks during kickoffs since fewer injuries occur during kickoffs that result in touchbacks than on kickoffs that are returned,” the NCAA said.

Now there's a surprise.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

You're going to get more line drive kicks hitting around the 15 or 20 with resultant mad scrambles and piles. I see unforseen consequences
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count