NCAA Selection Show format change

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

NCAA Selection Show format change

Post by PeteRasche »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 398714002/

All 68 teams who made it will be announced up front (in the "first 10 minutes"). Then they'll spend the remainder of an hour showing who plays whom, where and when.

And then, presumably, talk about it... otherwise known as the collective national "click" of the channel changing...

I don't like it (and from what I've read, I seem to be in the majority) because I always enjoyed seeing the reaction shots of the schools on the bubble when they see they made it. Heck, I was one of them (though we never had a party with cameras present). To me, that's one of the great dramas in sports, watching the bubble teams make it and watching the little guys find out what giants they will play. Read the linked article, they basically say "meh, we don't care". And I don't understand how they don't realize that many fans of the bubble teams who don't make it will immediately tune out in frustration.

My personal guess is they don't like two things:
1) that the bracket (or at least parts of it) has leaked early somehow in the past few years and spread like social media wildfire, causing folks to already know by the time they get there, and
2) they are probably sick of how so many of the players on live camera, rather than actually celebrating being in, stand there holding their crotches while selfie-recording the celebration on their phones. And if that sounds old-fogeyish of me (which I'm sure it does), watch Sunday - or look for previous years online - and see just how many of them do BOTH of these things - you could literally make a drinking game of it and go into an alcohol-induced coma.

More likely #1 than #2, but otherwise, why change something that has basically worked for decades, and will only add more risk of folks tuning out earlier?
Last edited by PeteRasche on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: NCAA Selection Show format change

Post by waverider »

I don’t like this either. I just assume wait until the show is over and find the bracket online once complete.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Well I'd just as soon wait until the show is over and find the bracket online once complete. :wink: #idioms
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Back when I used to still follow March madness closely I still rarely watched the selection show. I found it annoying to watch talking heads release it in parts. I waited till it was over so I could see the whole bracket myself
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16