Drew Brees...

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Drew Brees...

Post by Fan Since '54 »

...signed a 2-year $50,000,000 contract esxtension with the Saints. Right where he belongs folks.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Drew Brees...

Post by PeteRasche »

My coworkers were dumbfounded by that and I found I was unable to come with a good comparison to explain just how much New Orleans loves Drew Brees.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote:My coworkers were dumbfounded by that and I found I was unable to come with a good comparison to explain just how much New Orleans loves Drew Brees.
Pete Rose? Barry Larkin?
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:My coworkers were dumbfounded by that and I found I was unable to come with a good comparison to explain just how much New Orleans loves Drew Brees.
Dumbfounded? That he got that much? That's pretty interesting, especially considering they should be pretty familiar with what $16MM/year get you at QB (Andy Dalton). If anything, he could have squeezed more out of the Saints...reports were he had at least one other offer of 2 years/60MM.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

supposedly the Vikings wanted him, but Drew Brees and the Saints go together like Red Beans and Rice. I just can't see him anywhere else.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Go for you guys. Brees is a class act and it would be a travesty to see him in any other uniform.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Dumbfounded because they don't follow the Saints that closely and don't have the bias of ever having lived (or even visited) there, so all they see is a ton of money going to a very old player. They have no cognition of his importance to the city and more importantly to SP's offense. FWIW, I was defending it. :mrgreen:

Dalton is irrelevant to the point, he's a decade younger than Brees.

Pete Rose might be a good comparison here if not for the gambling and general trash behavior that caused a portion of the city to turn on him. You are probably safe to assume Brees isn't going to have any character issues. Might be more like Anthony Munoz if he'd been a QB and won a Super Bowl. Always good to have a high-class winner who takes your team to the top, retires with your team, and settles in your city for life.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:Dumbfounded because they don't follow the Saints that closely and don't have the bias of ever having lived (or even visited) there, so all they see is a ton of money going to a very old player. They have no cognition of his importance to the city and more importantly to SP's offense. FWIW, I was defending it. :mrgreen:

Pete Rose might be a good comparison here if not for the gambling and general trash behavior that caused a portion of the city to turn on him. You are probably safe to assume Brees isn't going to have any character issues. Might be more like Anthony Munoz if he'd been a QB and won a Super Bowl. Always good to have a high-class winner who takes your team to the top, retires with your team, and settles in your city for life.
Oscar?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Put 39 yo aside, Brady just dispensed that. Of the available QBs, who would you trust more than Drew to lead you to the SB? Cousins is younger if you're trying to build a team, but is that where the Saints are? I'll take Drew for $25M over Cousins who has won nothing for $28M. The Saints have been blessed for 12 years, and with one or two solid moves like they had last year - no need to break the bank - they will be in the final 4 discussion with the Eagles, Vikes, Pats, and Steelers again this year.

#9 at 39 still always give you a fighting chance! Who Dat!
Bring home da Wave!
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

TUPF wrote: Go for you guys. Brees is a class act and it would be a travesty to see him in any other uniform.
I really believe that this is Drew's last NFL contract. He has stated that he wants to play well into his 40's, but that is the eternal optimist in him that is talking. He has a great wife and four healthy children that he must think about. He really does not want to get lit up by a young hot-shot blitzing linebacker who may cripple him for life. Zach Strief finally had to call it quits this week after a fine 12-year playing career as a Saint O-lineman. His body just could not take the pounding any longer.

I also believe that the Saints have just a two year window of opportunity to make another championship run, and Drew knows that. Sean (Payton) knows that too. I can envision that the two of them will probably call it quits together one day (hopefully after the Saints win another ring). The Sean and Drew Show has been great to watch over the years, but, let's face it, the end of that is near.
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Very team-friendly deal. My biggest worry was that he'd want not money so much but several years. He showed me.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:Dumbfounded because they don't follow the Saints that closely and don't have the bias of ever having lived (or even visited) there, so all they see is a ton of money going to a very old player. They have no cognition of his importance to the city and more importantly to SP's offense. FWIW, I was defending it. :mrgreen:

Sure Dalton's younger but tried to inject some sense of relativity to the monetary discussion. Out of 32 teams, do you think there's any that would rather pay Dalton 16 than Brees 25 for next year? I assume that Brees will fall off the cliff performance-wise at some point but in the NFL you get paid based on your past production and it's pretty clear the deal he signed could have been for a lot more (or more guaranteed, etc.). As lg said, very team friendly.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:

Oscar?
Not much of a thought, for a variety of reasons I won't list here.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

ml wave wrote:

Sure Dalton's younger but tried to inject some sense of relativity to the monetary discussion. Out of 32 teams, do you think there's any that would rather pay Dalton 16 than Brees 25 for next year? I assume that Brees will fall off the cliff performance-wise at some point but in the NFL you get paid based on your past production and it's pretty clear the deal he signed could have been for a lot more (or more guaranteed, etc.). As lg said, very team friendly.
If Kamara and Ingram were not a 1-year fluke. Don't need the same production. Just need a smart, turnover-free QB. He can be that at 40, 41, 42 even. Manning proved that his last year in Denver and Eagles won with a backup.
Bring home da Wave!
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Lets look at Drew Brees one more time, with Colin Cowherd's diagnosis.

https://www.facebook.com/foxsports/vide ... 585974562/

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Lets look at Drew Brees one more time, with Colin Cowherd's diagnosis.

https://www.facebook.com/foxsports/vide ... 585974562/

Fan since '54
Would have liked to have heard what Streif said, not sure why they cut it out.

Look, I remember vividly, driving home from work that day in April 2006, listening to sports radio and hearing that the Texans were picking Mario Williams, leaving Bush to the Saints. That's when I thought we had something. At the time, I did not think much of Brees, or Payton, for that matter. I was optimistic, but the addition of Bush is what made we think we had a chance. Fast forward, and oh how naive I was. Bush played a small part, but little did we know that the biggest event of 2006 for the Saints was Payton driving the Brees around NOLA, taking a wrong turn, and changing the history of the franchise forever.
Bring home da Wave!