Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:31 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2272
Location: Greeneville, TN
GreenieBacker wrote:
4 Big12 teams is a surprise. Other than Kansas they're really not known for Basketball.


It's not as big of a surprise as you might think. They were considered the best top to bottom conference this season. They got eight of ten teams in and Oklahoma St. should arguably have been in over some at larges that made it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:39 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3802
Location: Wichita
GreenieBacker wrote:
4 Big12 teams is a surprise. Other than Kansas they're really not known for Basketball.

They've only been considered one of the top 3 basketball conferences for the last decade. Big 12 could end up with half of the Elite 8 teams (or 1 :) )

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:40 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3802
Location: Wichita
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
4 Big12 teams is a surprise. Other than Kansas they're really not known for Basketball.


It's not as big of a surprise as you might think. They were considered the best top to bottom conference this season. They got eight of ten teams in and Oklahoma St. should arguably have been in over some at larges that made it.

What he said

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:43 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2448
Interesting Coach K has gone to zone defense. I wish Coach Dunleavy would consider it. What I find interesting is defense has played a huge part in this tournament. Kansas State, Florida State, and Syracuse are where they are because they play great defense.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:53 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2272
Location: Greeneville, TN
Some excellent defensive teams are also already out. Virginia, Cincinnati, and Tennessee, were ranked 1-3 defensively I think, and none of them saw the Sweet 16. But to your point, Coach K's flexibility has made his team a title contender. The ability to switch between man, 2-3 zone, and more exotic defenses can be a powerful weapon. I too wish we'd use it more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:06 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9590
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Some excellent defensive teams are also already out. Virginia, Cincinnati, and Tennessee, were ranked 1-3 defensively I think, and none of them saw the Sweet 16. But to your point, Coach K's flexibility has made his team a title contender. The ability to switch between man, 2-3 zone, and more exotic defenses can be a powerful weapon. I too wish we'd use it more.

That, and all the top talent I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:02 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19815
Location: New Orleans
Jay Bilas was on the radio today talking about this "exotic" Zone Defense that both Syracuse and Duke play. And how surprised he was that Coach K adopted it this year. Also that Syracuse would need 70+ points to beat Duke and that they just didn't have the firepower to do that. I guess we'll see.

I guess I look at the teams that got past the First Round (something we managed to do twice) and I'm having a hard time seeing equivalent talent and depth at Tulane.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:22 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9590
GreenieBacker wrote:
Jay Bilas was on the radio today talking about this "exotic" Zone Defense that both Syracuse and Duke play. And how surprised he was that Coach K adopted it this year. Also that Syracuse would need 70+ points to beat Duke and that they just didn't have the firepower to do that. I guess we'll see.

I guess I look at the teams that got past the First Round (something we managed to do twice) and I'm having a hard time seeing equivalent talent and depth at Tulane.

I don't think it's really in question whether we have 2nd round talent and depth...hopefully we're building towards that (and better), but no, we're not there yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:45 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7018
Location: Wisconsin
The highest winning % (so far) belongs to the Big Ten. 7 & 2 .... (. 777 )


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 18851
Location: Chicago
Duke and Syracuse playing the zone and breaking it tonight is artistry. Basketball IQ and execution both ways. I love zonea and traps. I'm giddy watching the game (although Duke must lose).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:18 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6459
Location: Dripping Springs
Interesting side note to the Loyola Chicago win - two of their players were coached by Coach Willie Fritz's brother.

https://twitter.com/StevenDialTV/status/977715909497360384


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:54 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7018
Location: Wisconsin
sr wrote:
Interesting side note to the Loyola Chicago win - two of their players were coached by Coach Willie Fritz's brother.

https://twitter.com/StevenDialTV/status/977715909497360384

WOW !!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:49 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19760
Location: Cincinnati, OH
sr wrote:
Interesting side note to the Loyola Chicago win - two of their players were coached by Coach Willie Fritz's brother.

https://twitter.com/StevenDialTV/status/977715909497360384

Between his daughter going viral last week in Houston and this, his family is having a good tourney!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:23 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6459
Location: Dripping Springs
... and then there's this

https://twitter.com/OnionSports/status/978311780928835585


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:03 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9590
PeteRasche wrote:
sr wrote:
Interesting side note to the Loyola Chicago win - two of their players were coached by Coach Willie Fritz's brother.

https://twitter.com/StevenDialTV/status/977715909497360384

Between his daughter going viral last week in Houston and this, his family is having a good tourney!

As a father, is it a good thing if your daughter goes viral for being hot? Better than for being ugly I guess, but would imagine there's some mixed feelings there?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:26 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19760
Location: Cincinnati, OH
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
sr wrote:
Interesting side note to the Loyola Chicago win - two of their players were coached by Coach Willie Fritz's brother.

https://twitter.com/StevenDialTV/status/977715909497360384

Between his daughter going viral last week in Houston and this, his family is having a good tourney!

As a father, is it a good thing if your daughter goes viral for being hot? Better than for being ugly I guess, but would imagine there's some mixed feelings there?

She's a grown woman and was doing absolutely nothing wrong, nor did the story find any inappropriate pics or stories to accompany the story. She's a public figure (as a newscaster) and therefore has willingly put herself into a position to be judged by the masses. I'm sure Willie had to learn to accept that when she took the job. If she were a teen, or even simply not a "public figure", it would likely be different.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:39 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9590
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
sr wrote:
Interesting side note to the Loyola Chicago win - two of their players were coached by Coach Willie Fritz's brother.

https://twitter.com/StevenDialTV/status/977715909497360384

Between his daughter going viral last week in Houston and this, his family is having a good tourney!

As a father, is it a good thing if your daughter goes viral for being hot? Better than for being ugly I guess, but would imagine there's some mixed feelings there?

She's a grown woman and was doing absolutely nothing wrong, nor did the story find any inappropriate pics or stories to accompany the story. She's a public figure (as a newscaster) and therefore has willingly put herself into a position to be judged by the masses. I'm sure Willie had to learn to accept that when she took the job. If she were a teen, or even simply not a "public figure", it would likely be different.

Oh, I don't mean to imply she did anything wrong, just trying to figure how I'd feel if dozens (hundreds? thousands?) of internet types were salivating over how hot my (hypothetically grown) daughter was.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:15 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 18851
Location: Chicago
Muck Fichigan


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group