2018 March Madness thread

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: 2018 March Madness thread

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

GreenieBacker wrote:4 Big12 teams is a surprise. Other than Kansas they're really not known for Basketball.
It's not as big of a surprise as you might think. They were considered the best top to bottom conference this season. They got eight of ten teams in and Oklahoma St. should arguably have been in over some at larges that made it.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

GreenieBacker wrote:4 Big12 teams is a surprise. Other than Kansas they're really not known for Basketball.
They've only been considered one of the top 3 basketball conferences for the last decade. Big 12 could end up with half of the Elite 8 teams (or 1 :) )
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
It's not as big of a surprise as you might think. They were considered the best top to bottom conference this season. They got eight of ten teams in and Oklahoma St. should arguably have been in over some at larges that made it.
What he said
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Interesting Coach K has gone to zone defense. I wish Coach Dunleavy would consider it. What I find interesting is defense has played a huge part in this tournament. Kansas State, Florida State, and Syracuse are where they are because they play great defense.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Some excellent defensive teams are also already out. Virginia, Cincinnati, and Tennessee, were ranked 1-3 defensively I think, and none of them saw the Sweet 16. But to your point, Coach K's flexibility has made his team a title contender. The ability to switch between man, 2-3 zone, and more exotic defenses can be a powerful weapon. I too wish we'd use it more.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Some excellent defensive teams are also already out. Virginia, Cincinnati, and Tennessee, were ranked 1-3 defensively I think, and none of them saw the Sweet 16. But to your point, Coach K's flexibility has made his team a title contender. The ability to switch between man, 2-3 zone, and more exotic defenses can be a powerful weapon. I too wish we'd use it more.
That, and all the top talent I guess.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Jay Bilas was on the radio today talking about this "exotic" Zone Defense that both Syracuse and Duke play. And how surprised he was that Coach K adopted it this year. Also that Syracuse would need 70+ points to beat Duke and that they just didn't have the firepower to do that. I guess we'll see.

I guess I look at the teams that got past the First Round (something we managed to do twice) and I'm having a hard time seeing equivalent talent and depth at Tulane.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GreenieBacker wrote:Jay Bilas was on the radio today talking about this "exotic" Zone Defense that both Syracuse and Duke play. And how surprised he was that Coach K adopted it this year. Also that Syracuse would need 70+ points to beat Duke and that they just didn't have the firepower to do that. I guess we'll see.

I guess I look at the teams that got past the First Round (something we managed to do twice) and I'm having a hard time seeing equivalent talent and depth at Tulane.
I don't think it's really in question whether we have 2nd round talent and depth...hopefully we're building towards that (and better), but no, we're not there yet.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

The highest winning % (so far) belongs to the Big Ten. 7 & 2 .... (. 777 )
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Duke and Syracuse playing the zone and breaking it tonight is artistry. Basketball IQ and execution both ways. I love zonea and traps. I'm giddy watching the game (although Duke must lose).
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Interesting side note to the Loyola Chicago win - two of their players were coached by Coach Willie Fritz's brother.

https://twitter.com/StevenDialTV/status ... 9497360384
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

sr wrote:Interesting side note to the Loyola Chicago win - two of their players were coached by Coach Willie Fritz's brother.

WOW !!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

sr wrote:Interesting side note to the Loyola Chicago win - two of their players were coached by Coach Willie Fritz's brother.

Between his daughter going viral last week in Houston and this, his family is having a good tourney!
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:

Between his daughter going viral last week in Houston and this, his family is having a good tourney!
As a father, is it a good thing if your daughter goes viral for being hot? Better than for being ugly I guess, but would imagine there's some mixed feelings there?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

As a father, is it a good thing if your daughter goes viral for being hot? Better than for being ugly I guess, but would imagine there's some mixed feelings there?
She's a grown woman and was doing absolutely nothing wrong, nor did the story find any inappropriate pics or stories to accompany the story. She's a public figure (as a newscaster) and therefore has willingly put herself into a position to be judged by the masses. I'm sure Willie had to learn to accept that when she took the job. If she were a teen, or even simply not a "public figure", it would likely be different.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

She's a grown woman and was doing absolutely nothing wrong, nor did the story find any inappropriate pics or stories to accompany the story. She's a public figure (as a newscaster) and therefore has willingly put herself into a position to be judged by the masses. I'm sure Willie had to learn to accept that when she took the job. If she were a teen, or even simply not a "public figure", it would likely be different.
Oh, I don't mean to imply she did anything wrong, just trying to figure how I'd feel if dozens (hundreds? thousands?) of internet types were salivating over how hot my (hypothetically grown) daughter was.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Muck Fichigan
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count