Opening Day

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Opening Day

Post by WaveProf »

This opening day marks five years since I watched my last MLB baseball game. Shocking since there was a time in my life lasting multiple decades when I attended 20-45 baseball games a year in person, and watched double that on TV. It's amazing how life changes.

For those of you who still adhere to the church of baseball, happy new year!!!!
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Opening Day

Post by PeteRasche »

For those who "adhere to the church of" major league baseball, opening day is when the Reds have a parade and play their first game.**

Now get off my lawn.

** Being recognized as the first professional baseball team, MLB awarded the Reds the first game every year, always a home game, traditionally played at 1:10 pm on a Monday, and the Reds have a parade through downtown preceding it. The city practically shuts down, many people excuse kids from school to attend (not even the game, some just the parade). But along came ESPN and their TV deals, and suddenly they had to have the Yankees or Red Sox on the Sunday night before. Then it was someone playing overseas even earlier. Now TV has moved all games up, including the Reds who are opening on Thursday (before Easter!) but still having the parade - the 99TH ANNUAL, by the way - the following Monday.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincin ... /426566002
As I said. Get off my lawn.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Go Cubbies or Brewers !!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote:For those who "adhere to the church of" major league baseball, opening day is when the Reds have a parade and play their first game.**

The Washington Senators used to get the same honor of opening play in the AL. That would be the only other example I'd honor.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

PeteRasche wrote:For those who "adhere to the church of" major league baseball, opening day is when the Reds have a parade and play their first game.**

Now get off my lawn.

** Being recognized as the first professional baseball team, MLB awarded the Reds the first game every year, always a home game, traditionally played at 1:10 pm on a Monday, and the Reds have a parade through downtown preceding it. The city practically shuts down, many people excuse kids from school to attend (not even the game, some just the parade). But along came ESPN and their TV deals, and suddenly they had to have the Yankees or Red Sox on the Sunday night before. Then it was someone playing overseas even earlier. Now TV has moved all games up, including the Reds who are opening on Thursday (before Easter!) but still having the parade - the 99TH ANNUAL, by the way - the following Monday.

TV didn't change it this year. MLB and the Players Association changed it to spread out the schedule a bit more so that there were a few more off days and less travel conflicts in the schedule.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Now get off my lawn.

So now that the game is postponed, do they postpone the parade too?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

gerryb323 wrote: So now that the game is postponed, do they postpone the parade too?
When I was in grade school, a fair number of schools across the southern half of the state had no school for opening day. What do THEY do?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

WaveProf wrote:
gerryb323 wrote: So now that the game is postponed, do they postpone the parade too?
When I was in grade school, a fair number of schools across the southern half of the state had no school for opening day. What do THEY do?
Meth?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

WaveProf wrote:This opening day marks five years since I watched my last MLB baseball game. Shocking since there was a time in my life lasting multiple decades when I attended 20-45 baseball games a year in person, and watched double that on TV. It's amazing how life changes.

For those of you who still adhere to the church of baseball, happy new year!!!!
Five years? Piece of cake. When the NBA playoffs end this year it will be 32 years for me in that sport. And the only basketball player I'm familiar with is some guy named Jebran or something like that. :stan:

'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"