Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:18 pm 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
They still have two jobs '54. The Jets are a great team and very deserving of a Stanley Cup, but they haven't closed out the Preds yet and you can bet finishing them off in Nashville in a game 7 will be a tall task. And then of course should that happen they have the job I think you alluded to in trying to beat the Caps.

Wouldn't they still have to beat Vegas too? Jets/Preds winner plays Vegas, Caps play Lightning? Did I get my conferences wrong?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:24 pm 
Coach Level

gerryb323 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
They still have two jobs '54. The Jets are a great team and very deserving of a Stanley Cup, but they haven't closed out the Preds yet and you can bet finishing them off in Nashville in a game 7 will be a tall task. And then of course should that happen they have the job I think you alluded to in trying to beat the Caps.

Wouldn't they still have to beat Vegas too? Jets/Preds winner plays Vegas, Caps play Lightning? Did I get my conferences wrong?

You didn't, I did. I was still stuck on my post about the Caps. My post should have said two jobs, finish the Preds then beat Vegas. Mea culpa. Good catch.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:42 pm 
Regent's Circle

I was perusing one of the Pens megssage boards a little while ago and one comment was pretty funny.

"Happy no one had to shake Wilson’s hand last night." :-)

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

Order is restored to the universe

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:21 am 
Coach Level

Preds got thoroughly outplayed last night. I don't know how you beat a team 4-0 on the road and follow it up with that kind of effort in game 7 at home. All I can say is that was extremely disappointing and effectively a waste of a great season.

I'm trying to decide which is worse, supporting teams that are bad and never win or supporting teams that are good but don't ever meet expectations. It gets old hoping for something good to happen every year only to end the year with the same disappointment. I'm literally the only person I know who has never had one of their Big 4 teams win a title.

Sorry for the pity party. I'm pulling for the Jets from here on out. They are a good squad and deserve a shot at the cup.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:55 am 
Regent's Circle

Well, it is "Final Four" time now.

Do you have a horse in this race? Most Penguin fans are pulling for Vegas because of Fleury. However I believe I'm going to root for the Jets. Main reason that Winnepeg had a team, lost it, and got it back. Roller coaster ride for that city and its hockey fans. Time for that coaster to stop at the top.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:08 am 
Regent's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Preds got thoroughly outplayed last night. I don't know how you beat a team 4-0 on the road and follow it up with that kind of effort in game 7 at home. All I can say is that was extremely disappointing and effectively a waste of a great season.

I'm trying to decide which is worse, supporting teams that are bad and never win or supporting teams that are good but don't ever meet expectations. It gets old hoping for something good to happen every year only to end the year with the same disappointment. I'm literally the only person I know who has never had one of their Big 4 teams win a title.

Sorry for the pity party. I'm pulling for the Jets from here on out. They are a good squad and deserve a shot at the cup.

And sorry for your team(s) outlaw. But there have been many great teams that couldn't finish the job. In Hockey, the Caps know that for sure, and the Pens '92-'93 (IMO, the best Pens team ever) had disappointments along those same lines. In baseball my '60 Yankees fell to the Piratres and Maz, despite the fact that they completely dominated in the three games they won and lost 4 in close games.
No "sure things" in sports.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:39 am 
Emerald Circle

Jets then Vegas then (egads) Tampa .... frick the caps and rhwir Prima Donna weak minded collapsing

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

Choking?

(Not that I care)

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:57 pm 
Emerald Circle

Winnipeg flipped the switch halfway through the first (If I cared)

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:03 pm 
Coach Level

If Winnipeg loses the series, then I'm pulling for the Bolts/Caps winner. I know it's bitter and petty but I don't want a team with literally one season under their belt to hoist the cup before the Preds do. Yeah, I know that's shallow

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:46 pm 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
If Winnipeg loses the series, then I'm pulling for the Bolts/Caps winner. I know it's bitter and petty but I don't want a team with literally one season under their belt to hoist the cup before the Preds do. Yeah, I know that's shallow

Come on man, it's a great story. Basically says every GM should be fired

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:25 pm 
Coach Level

windywave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

Come on man, it's a great story. Basically says every GM should be fired

I know, I know. Leave me to my bitterness.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:48 pm 
Regent's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:

Im pretty much on board with you here outlaw. At least as far as Vegas winning the Cup. As I said on FB, I wouldn't pull for them (despite the fact that I've always liked Fleury...truly class individual) because "they havn't paid their dues".

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:35 pm 
Emerald Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

Im pretty much on board with you here outlaw. At least as far as Vegas winning the Cup. As I said on FB, I wouldn't pull for them (despite the fact that I've always liked Fleury...truly class individual) because "they havn't paid their dues".

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54

Seriously dude? Those guys have all been in the league for years and are the castoffs of other teams. Should rookies not get their name on the cup?

ETA your sentiment is a crock

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:00 am 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54

Seriously dude? Those guys have all been in the league for years and are the castoffs of other teams. Should rookies not get their name on the cup?

ETA your sentiment is a crock

the Lightning coach summed it up.. Vegas is not a "Cinderella story"... they have top line NHL guys that other teams bribed Vegas to take off their hands because of bad contracts or bad fits.. throw in a shrewd GM and a decent coach and you have the perfect storm of an expansion team. If Vegas and Tampa play in the Finals, I hope they bring in the best 11 or 12 camera guys to keep up... no two teams offer as much top to bottom speed as those two. It WILL come down to the hot goalie.. and right now that's Fleury.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:28 pm 
Emerald Circle

Looks I will be rooting for Vegas outright

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:14 pm 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:

I'm not all ga ga over an expansion franchise playing for the Cup like most.. but I also think the Crapitals can go suck a bag of d!cks... to me, this is the worst Stanley Cup Final since 2006 when two shiatty teams.. Edmonton and Carolina, battled it out and nobody watched.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:22 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:

I'm not all ga ga over an expansion franchise playing for the Cup like most.. but I also think the Crapitals can go suck a bag of d!cks... to me, this is the worst Stanley Cup Final since 2006 when two shiatty teams.. Edmonton and Carolina, battled it out and nobody watched.

I don't care about Vegas but hate the Caps

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:31 pm 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:

I don't care about Vegas but hate the Caps

Well, I know I said re Vegas, "They havn't paid their dues", but that being said there is no way I ever pull for the Caps. So, it is Vegas by default. There are five former Pens playing for Vegas, and two playing for the Caps. Only one player in these 7 players can "three-peat"...Marc Andre Fleury. "29" lifts the cup for the 4th time.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54