It's all about the Cup...NHL playoffs '17-'18

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: It's all about the Cup...NHL playoffs '17-'18

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:They still have two jobs '54. The Jets are a great team and very deserving of a Stanley Cup, but they haven't closed out the Preds yet and you can bet finishing them off in Nashville in a game 7 will be a tall task. And then of course should that happen they have the job I think you alluded to in trying to beat the Caps.
Wouldn't they still have to beat Vegas too? Jets/Preds winner plays Vegas, Caps play Lightning? Did I get my conferences wrong?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

gerryb323 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:They still have two jobs '54. The Jets are a great team and very deserving of a Stanley Cup, but they haven't closed out the Preds yet and you can bet finishing them off in Nashville in a game 7 will be a tall task. And then of course should that happen they have the job I think you alluded to in trying to beat the Caps.
Wouldn't they still have to beat Vegas too? Jets/Preds winner plays Vegas, Caps play Lightning? Did I get my conferences wrong?
You didn't, I did. I was still stuck on my post about the Caps. My post should have said two jobs, finish the Preds then beat Vegas. Mea culpa. Good catch.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

I was perusing one of the Pens megssage boards a little while ago and one comment was pretty funny.

"Happy no one had to shake Wilson’s hand last night." :-)

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Order is restored to the universe
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Preds got thoroughly outplayed last night. I don't know how you beat a team 4-0 on the road and follow it up with that kind of effort in game 7 at home. All I can say is that was extremely disappointing and effectively a waste of a great season.

I'm trying to decide which is worse, supporting teams that are bad and never win or supporting teams that are good but don't ever meet expectations. It gets old hoping for something good to happen every year only to end the year with the same disappointment. I'm literally the only person I know who has never had one of their Big 4 teams win a title.

Sorry for the pity party. I'm pulling for the Jets from here on out. They are a good squad and deserve a shot at the cup.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Well, it is "Final Four" time now.

Do you have a horse in this race? Most Penguin fans are pulling for Vegas because of Fleury. However I believe I'm going to root for the Jets. Main reason that Winnepeg had a team, lost it, and got it back. Roller coaster ride for that city and its hockey fans. Time for that coaster to stop at the top.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Preds got thoroughly outplayed last night. I don't know how you beat a team 4-0 on the road and follow it up with that kind of effort in game 7 at home. All I can say is that was extremely disappointing and effectively a waste of a great season.

I'm trying to decide which is worse, supporting teams that are bad and never win or supporting teams that are good but don't ever meet expectations. It gets old hoping for something good to happen every year only to end the year with the same disappointment. I'm literally the only person I know who has never had one of their Big 4 teams win a title.

Sorry for the pity party. I'm pulling for the Jets from here on out. They are a good squad and deserve a shot at the cup.

And sorry for your team(s) outlaw. But there have been many great teams that couldn't finish the job. In Hockey, the Caps know that for sure, and the Pens '92-'93 (IMO, the best Pens team ever) had disappointments along those same lines. In baseball my '60 Yankees fell to the Piratres and Maz, despite the fact that they completely dominated in the three games they won and lost 4 in close games.
No "sure things" in sports.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Jets then Vegas then (egads) Tampa .... frick the caps and rhwir Prima Donna weak minded collapsing
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Choking?

(Not that I care)
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Winnipeg flipped the switch halfway through the first (If I cared)
#cousins don't count
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

If Winnipeg loses the series, then I'm pulling for the Bolts/Caps winner. I know it's bitter and petty but I don't want a team with literally one season under their belt to hoist the cup before the Preds do. Yeah, I know that's shallow
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:If Winnipeg loses the series, then I'm pulling for the Bolts/Caps winner. I know it's bitter and petty but I don't want a team with literally one season under their belt to hoist the cup before the Preds do. Yeah, I know that's shallow
Come on man, it's a great story. Basically says every GM should be fired
#cousins don't count
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

windywave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:If Winnipeg loses the series, then I'm pulling for the Bolts/Caps winner. I know it's bitter and petty but I don't want a team with literally one season under their belt to hoist the cup before the Preds do. Yeah, I know that's shallow
Come on man, it's a great story. Basically says every GM should be fired
I know, I know. Leave me to my bitterness.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Im pretty much on board with you here outlaw. At least as far as Vegas winning the Cup. As I said on FB, I wouldn't pull for them (despite the fact that I've always liked Fleury...truly class individual) because "they havn't paid their dues".

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
Im pretty much on board with you here outlaw. At least as far as Vegas winning the Cup. As I said on FB, I wouldn't pull for them (despite the fact that I've always liked Fleury...truly class individual) because "they havn't paid their dues".

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
Seriously dude? Those guys have all been in the league for years and are the castoffs of other teams. Should rookies not get their name on the cup?

ETA your sentiment is a crock
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
Seriously dude? Those guys have all been in the league for years and are the castoffs of other teams. Should rookies not get their name on the cup?

ETA your sentiment is a crock
the Lightning coach summed it up.. Vegas is not a "Cinderella story"... they have top line NHL guys that other teams bribed Vegas to take off their hands because of bad contracts or bad fits.. throw in a shrewd GM and a decent coach and you have the perfect storm of an expansion team. If Vegas and Tampa play in the Finals, I hope they bring in the best 11 or 12 camera guys to keep up... no two teams offer as much top to bottom speed as those two. It WILL come down to the hot goalie.. and right now that's Fleury.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Looks I will be rooting for Vegas outright
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:Looks I will be rooting for Vegas outright
I'm not all ga ga over an expansion franchise playing for the Cup like most.. but I also think the Crapitals can go suck a bag of d!cks... to me, this is the worst Stanley Cup Final since 2006 when two shiatty teams.. Edmonton and Carolina, battled it out and nobody watched.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
I'm not all ga ga over an expansion franchise playing for the Cup like most.. but I also think the Crapitals can go suck a bag of d!cks... to me, this is the worst Stanley Cup Final since 2006 when two shiatty teams.. Edmonton and Carolina, battled it out and nobody watched.
I don't care about Vegas but hate the Caps
#cousins don't count
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Well, I know I said re Vegas, "They havn't paid their dues", but that being said there is no way I ever pull for the Caps. So, it is Vegas by default. There are five former Pens playing for Vegas, and two playing for the Caps. Only one player in these 7 players can "three-peat"...Marc Andre Fleury. "29" lifts the cup for the 4th time.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Stanley Cup headed to DC
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Congrats to the Washing Caps. Stanley Cups Champs 2018. Well almost all of them. Can't include the POS #43 in with the rest of the team here.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Well, I know I said re Vegas, "They havn't paid their dues", but that being said there is no way I ever pull for the Caps. So, it is Vegas by default. There are five former Pens playing for Vegas, and two playing for the Caps. Only one player in these 7 players can "three-peat"...Marc Andre Fleury. "29" lifts the cup for the 4th time.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54
Vegas winning the cup would have possibly ruined the fan base for some time. In college I has a friend who stumbled into dating a near 10 his freshman year when he dad no business doing so. They broke up; the next ten years he couldn't attract another 10 and he complained about the flaws of 8's and lower. It ended ok, but it took some time for him to come back to reality.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Capitals refused to pay Trotz what he's worth (or do they think that a coach is not a big piece of the puzzle?), and allowed him to move on.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Trotz had it in his previous contract that if the Caps won the cup under him, a $300.000.00 raise would kick in. But that only lifted him to $1.8 mil. I guess he figured that number wasn't what he wanted for the job he did. Can't say that I blame him. $1.8 mil for a Stanley Cup winning coach seems to me to be cutting him short.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54

FYI: The NHL 2018-2019 regular season schedule is being released on Thursday June 21st. Pens fans are thinking that they will open the season @ Washington as the Caps raise the banner.