This story is just plain weird...

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: This story is just plain weird...

Post by GretnaGrn »

AO Sig wrote:If felt to be too political and this is deleted, I understand.

Today is the main move-in day for freshman at UCF. Bernie Sanders is scheduled to speak on campus at 2 pm today. My wife is on several UCF parents' facebook pages; the comments are uniformly two different lines. First, they wonder who was stupid enough to schedule such an event, with all the hoopla crowds to upset the normal flow of events in normal cases, on the same day that big-eyed, disoriented freshmen and their parents are swarming the campus. The second main line of comments is that "the indoctrination is beginning before the first day of classes.

Traffic and parking will be unbelievably hard with the kids trying to move in; having a political guy who everyone wants to see, (whether they agree with him or not) on campus on the same day is truly ridiculous.
Regardless of politics, it's ludicrously poor planning. It would be equally bad planning for any major political figure (or entertainment one, or anyone likely to draw a crowd).
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

GretnaGrn wrote:
AO Sig wrote:If felt to be too political and this is deleted, I understand.

Today is the main move-in day for freshman at UCF. Bernie Sanders is scheduled to speak on campus at 2 pm today. My wife is on several UCF parents' facebook pages; the comments are uniformly two different lines. First, they wonder who was stupid enough to schedule such an event, with all the hoopla crowds to upset the normal flow of events in normal cases, on the same day that big-eyed, disoriented freshmen and their parents are swarming the campus. The second main line of comments is that "the indoctrination is beginning before the first day of classes.

Traffic and parking will be unbelievably hard with the kids trying to move in; having a political guy who everyone wants to see, (whether they agree with him or not) on campus on the same day is truly ridiculous.
Regardless of politics, it's ludicrously poor planning. It would be equally bad planning for any major political figure (or entertainment one, or anyone likely to draw a crowd).
I don't think talking about an event involving a politician is political. Now when half the people start talking about indoctrination of students, that would be political. I'm sure Sanders has a tour schedule and this was the day that fit in that schedule. So then it's either inconvenience everyone or not have him visit at all. Obviously a business will go for the headline.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Yes, the three ring circus of move in day seems like bad timing but like Gretna says, it might have been splash before sanity.

As for indoc...I’d say people are finding something to complain about. Go or don’t go. I thought snowflakes were only raised by lefties! :mrgreen:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

TUPF wrote:Yes, the three ring circus of move in day seems like bad timing but like Gretna says, it might have been splash before sanity.

As for indoc...I’d say people are finding something to complain about. Go or don’t go. I thought snowflakes were only raised by lefties! :mrgreen:
Amen. It's a university. Plus UCF has 50,000+ students. I'm sure there's more than a handful that actually feel the Bern. I'll zip my lips about the faculty. :mrgreen:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

He's got to pay his wife's legal bills somehow.

Jesus was a carpenter too

Pick one if the above depending on the audience and watch heads explode (and if they don't get the comment they are not informed enough to be discussing him).
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:He's got to pay his wife's legal bills somehow.

Pick one if the above depending on the audience and watch heads explode (and if they don't get the comment they are not informed enough to be discussing him).
So Bernie gets money from a college to pay for his wife's lawsuit involving her defrauding another college.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Poseidon wrote:

So Bernie gets money from a college to pay for his wife's lawsuit involving her defrauding another college.
Just so it's not misconstrued she is not charged with taking any money, just grossly overspending.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

Just so it's not misconstrued she is not charged with taking any money, just grossly overspending.
Um... fraud in applying for the bank funding by overstating pledge commitments is not grossly overspending
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

Um... fraud in applying for the bank funding by overstating pledge commitments is not grossly overspending
C’mon, windy, you know financial malfeasance nowadays for EVERYONE in politics, no matter what color hat you wear, is a sliding standard. One could rob a bank on 5th Avenue and your base would not care. :-D
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

Yes you are correct. It just wasn't the normal, giving herself fraudulent payments from university that is more typical. Give me a break, I'm trying to walk a line here without going political.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

C’mon, windy, you know financial malfeasance nowadays for EVERYONE in politics, no matter what color hat you wear, is a sliding standard. One could rob a bank on 5th Avenue and your base would not care. :-D
The US attorney should care
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

Yes you are correct. It just wasn't the normal, giving herself fraudulent payments from university that is more typical. Give me a break, I'm trying to walk a line here without going political.
Stating a fact is not political. Bill Clinton was impeached. Fact. Now if you want to discuss the hypocrisy associated with it that would turn political (notice the way I phrased that so it was apolitical whose hypocrisy wasn't mentioned and people of all stripes will nod in agreement depending on who they think were hypocrites).
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I can't help but share another weird story, though not weird bad. Just not sure what to think of this.

"Body of dead teen, honored with ‘extreme embalming,’ is posed with video games, sunglasses, and snacks"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/body-de ... 05773.html

This was in NOLA.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

Stating a fact is not political. Bill Clinton was impeached. Fact. Now if you want to discuss the hypocrisy associated with it that would turn political (notice the way I phrased that so it was apolitical whose hypocrisy wasn't mentioned and people of all stripes will nod in agreement depending on who they think were hypocrites).
You're so good at being apolitical that I don't know who your base would be!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not very attractive.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not very attractive.
Pink? :coolshades:
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

Pink? :coolshades:
I was hoping you would get the reference.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:My daughter is starting college (we are situating her in her dorm at UCF- she did not get enough offers, funds-wise for Tulane, and they gave in-state tuition), and while she was in high school they tried to teach her a new math counting system that would change 10+15 to a 5 or 6 step process, rather than just "add the 10's and add the 1's."

I was making a generality; however, there are far too many things being taught that really don't prepare most of the kids for the real world. That is what is scary to me.
My (limited) understanding of the "new math" is that, sure, it makes trying to add 10 and 15 unnecessarily complicated and silly but teaches principles that allow for effectively adding things like 982,255 and 68,681.
I can do that effectively too using the normal method
Sure
Just because you can't subtract doesn't mean the rest of us can't
Congratulations on joining the "able to subtract" club! With some hard work, diligent effort, and maybe more than a little luck, you'll next be able to figure out the difference between adding and subtracting.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:My daughter is starting college (we are situating her in her dorm at UCF- she did not get enough offers, funds-wise for Tulane, and they gave in-state tuition), and while she was in high school they tried to teach her a new math counting system that would change 10+15 to a 5 or 6 step process, rather than just "add the 10's and add the 1's."

I was making a generality; however, there are far too many things being taught that really don't prepare most of the kids for the real world. That is what is scary to me.
My (limited) understanding of the "new math" is that, sure, it makes trying to add 10 and 15 unnecessarily complicated and silly but teaches principles that allow for effectively adding things like 982,255 and 68,681.
Sure
Congratulations on joining the "able to subtract" club! With some hard work, diligent effort, and maybe more than a little luck, you'll next be able to figure out the difference between adding and subtracting.
If you were going to ding me it should have been for reading closely not math ability. You just wasted an epic chance to burn me.
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Sure
If you were going to ding me it should have been for reading closely not math ability. You just wasted an epic chance to burn me.
Um, still a work in progress on that reading I see.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Sure
Um, still a work in progress on that reading I see.
Poor execution
#cousins don't count
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Poseidon wrote:I can't help but share another weird story, though not weird bad. Just not sure what to think of this.

"Body of dead teen, honored with ‘extreme embalming,’ is posed with video games, sunglasses, and snacks"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/body-de ... 05773.html

This was in NOLA.
A different take on the Irish Wake thing. I doubt this kid was Irish--although he was wearing a CELTICS jersey--so I guess that is close enough.
Plan your work, work your plan.