NCAA Regionals

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: NCAA Regionals

Post by windywave »

tjtlja wrote:FW, worst big game coach maybe ever. It is time for them to say thank you for what you have done, but it is time to move in another direction.
Would you rather him or TJ be coaching an elimination game for us?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Neither
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

what MSU just did in the top of the 9th was a combo of Cubs and Tulane. really, really bad
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Pierce should have bunted
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Down to the final 3. Could be an all SEC final again.
Victory is never permanent
djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

OGSB wrote:Down to the final 3. Could be an all SEC final again.
It's NOT !!!!! Oregon St - 7 Miss. St. -2 GO TO HELL SEC GO TO HELL !!!!! Go Beavers !!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Should've been over but Oregon St scores 3 in the 9th (after the final out - a pop foul behind first base - wasn't caught) and forces game 3.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Did Oregon State hire TJ as pitching coach? Sending their freshman pitcher out for the 8th at 102 pitches
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

gerryb323 wrote:Did Oregon State hire TJ as pitching coach? Sending their freshman pitcher out for the 8th at 102 pitches
Heimlich's warming up, he's just going for the double or nothing controversy parley
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

1309th WAVE wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Did Oregon State hire TJ as pitching coach? Sending their freshman pitcher out for the 8th at 102 pitches
Heimlich's warming up, he's just going for the double or nothing controversy parley
Amazing the balls on the coach. Gamble worked out and Abel has retired 17 in a row.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

1st time Arkansas has been shut out all year. Congrats Oregon State! Won 2 of the most important games of the year. Oh, and also beat Arkansas.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

1309th WAVE wrote:1st time Arkansas has been shut out all year. Congrats Oregon State! Won 2 of the most important games of the year. Oh, and also beat Arkansas.
You don’t blow a game the way Arkansas did game 2 without some sort of punishment from the baseball gods.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Next season when Abel needs TJ surgery, OSU can at least hang their hats on this championship.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Tough way to go out for Arkansas. They will remember game 2 forever.

Had Arkansas won, they would've joined an elite club of schools with a basketball, baseball, and football national titles. It's a small group: Michigan, Ohio St., UCLA, and Florida.
djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

Arkansas lost, YES !!! Too bad, so sad and the $ec lost another national championship. Sorry but I do not like anyone in that conference in any sport. They and ESPN started all this Power 5 bs. OBTW, whomever saw that game last nite was witnessing history. Great pitching by a freshman. Congrats to Oregon State. Just had to get this off my chest. I apologize if I offended anyone.
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

gerryb323 wrote:Next season when Abel needs TJ surgery, OSU can at least hang their hats on this championship.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... ar-AAzjyJs
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

many years ago I remember reading an in depth article that had Major League baseball teams strongly advising prominent high school pitchers to avoid college because of the quality of coaching they would get and their belief that to many were being overused/misused.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

GreenieBacker wrote:many years ago I remember reading an in depth article that had Major League baseball teams strongly advising prominent high school pitchers to avoid college because of the quality of coaching they would get and their belief that to many were being overused/misused.
Overuse is definitely something to be worried about but I don’t really agree that they get worse coaching part. Of course MLB teams would be advising them to go to the professional ranks.

There are a bunch of colleges that do better at developing players than some of the big league organizations and guess what, high level college baseball pitching coaches are getting paid way more than minor league pitching coaches, so they’re not going to leave for those jobs.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

visualmagic wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:many years ago I remember reading an in depth article that had Major League baseball teams strongly advising prominent high school pitchers to avoid college because of the quality of coaching they would get and their belief that to many were being overused/misused.
Overuse is definitely something to be worried about but I don’t really agree that they get worse coaching part. Of course MLB teams would be advising them to go to the professional ranks.

There are a bunch of colleges that do better at developing players than some of the big league organizations and guess what, high level college baseball pitching coaches are getting paid way more than minor league pitching coaches, so they’re not going to leave for those jobs.
This is way underpublicized. Div 1A college pay for HCs and assistants is often much much better than what is available for minor league managers, coaches and scouts.

As concerns potential overuse, in minor leagues, player is an asset of the organization literally the major league parent. That is by definition a systemic protection for the player until he hits the bigs. College? Well the OSU coach will be recognized and paid for winning the CWS in 2018 not if a talented player on his team needs TJ surgery before 2020. Since clearly he has chosen win now philosophy regardless, if he were recruiting my pitching son, I'd think long and hard about signing with OSU.

Another example: look at how Ohtani and Tanaka were pitched in Japan with potential overuse at young age compared to American major leagues.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

if he were recruiting my pitching son, I'd think long and hard about signing with OSU.
While I didn’t agree with their use of Abel, Nate Yeskie is one of the best pitching coaches in the country and they are great with player development at Oregon State
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Hopefully, they're just as good as rehabilitating felons …
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

sr wrote:Hopefully, they're just as good as rehabilitating felons …
Obviously much more important issue than potential overuse of a college pitcher's arm. Should the felon involved here be prohibited from getting an education and earning a living as long as he complies with the rules of his punishment? I take it on face value that he was properly convicted of a distrubing and ugly crime even as a juvenile.

What should he be allowed to do now and in the future? It justifiably concerns many here. I know this is a sports site. All I would ask that if this is not the appropriate forum to discuss this then perhaps we simply refrain from making side comments about it here and go elsewhere to review it. If it is then let's be forthright instead and not turn this into a troll-a-rama.

Finally, no I do not have the perfect answer either. I'm deeply conflicted about it as I'm sure some of you are as well. Thanks for letting me peel this back a little bit.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Baywave1 wrote:
sr wrote:Hopefully, they're just as good as rehabilitating felons …
Obviously much more important issue than potential overuse of a college pitcher's arm. Should the felon involved here be prohibited from getting an education and earning a living as long as he complies with the rules of his punishment? I take it on face value that he was properly convicted of a distrubing and ugly crime even as a juvenile.

What should he be allowed to do now and in the future? It justifiably concerns many here. I know this is a sports site. All I would ask that if this is not the appropriate forum to discuss this then perhaps we simply refrain from making side comments about it here and go elsewhere to review it. If it is then let's be forthright instead and not turn this into a troll-a-rama.

Finally, no I do not have the perfect answer either. I'm deeply conflicted about it as I'm sure some of you are as well. Thanks for letting me peel this back a little bit.
+1

The kid is playing baseball based on his merit as a baseball player, not because he excelled at being a boy-scout. Perhaps his therapist or rehabilitation worker encouraged him to put his energy in a skill like baseball for psychological reasons. Perhaps if he would have signed big money and the victim would have possibly seen some. Perhaps stirring up the past sometimes does more harm than good. Since this is in the past and the justice system has run it's course how does or doesn't jumping on the pile and burying someone change your life at all. Does it perhaps have collateral damage? Who is that on? It's obvious I would go to great lengths to keep that dude away from my family , but i might just keep busy-body internet virtue signalers who prey on the tragedy of others away as well.

**Those are just my thoughts and not aimed directly at SR
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy