Oregon State did not "win" the CWS18

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Oregon State did not "win" the CWS18

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Before I go any further, I'd like to inform y'all that after Tulane the Arkansas Razorbacks are my favorite college team (well except for "whoever plays LSU" :roll: ), since '58.

The Arkansas Razorbacks "lost" it. Yea, and I know that even after the events of Wednesday night's game 2 in the CWS, the Hogs still had a chance to redeem themselves last night. Didn't happen. But to come back and play the next night after that happened, knowing that the CWS championship was theirs hands (or not really) just 24 hours previously had to be a monumental task, which they weren't up to. I'm pretty sure that whenever the members of that team look themselves in the mirror, know it was theirs for the taking. :cry:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
sr
Regent's Circle

Re: Oregon State did not "win" the CWS18

Post by sr »

Where's my violin ...
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

sr wrote:Where's my violin ...
You dropped it at the goal line next to Banks. :-D

As Willie always says, "Don't let the wave beat the wave."

Yeah Arkansas may have "lost" it but they played a team that never quit in the entire tourney. That's the great lesson here so I'm back to OSU "won" it or if you prefer simply refused to lose. Useful example for anyone or team in an underdog or adverse game situation.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Baywave1 wrote:
You dropped it at the goal line next to Banks. :-D

As Willie always says, "Don't let the wave beat the wave."

Yeah Arkansas may have "lost" it but they played a team that never quit in the entire tourney. That's the great lesson here so I'm back to OSU "won" it or if you prefer simply refused to lose. Useful example for anyone or team in an underdog or adverse game situation.
Yeah. I dropped my beer as well 8)
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

In my idle time I put together 10 words which for me epitomize whether one will be successful in anything one does. Right up near the top is perseverance. No matter the odds, the barriers to success, the unlikelihood of success, those who keep driving tend to win in the end. And if not this time, the next time.

In a past life I had the opportunity to have a beer or three with some Navy SEALs. I asked one of the guys what it was that most outsiders don’t understand about becoming a SEAL. He said that it’s not the biggest, baddest, most athletic that make it—it’s the wiry little guys who never ever quit, no matter how cold, tired, hungry, or beaten they may have been.

So, hats off to Oregon State. Winners never quit.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

TUPF wrote:In my idle time I put together 10 words which for me epitomize whether one will be successful in anything one does. Right up near the top is perseverance. No matter the odds, the barriers to success, the unlikelihood of success, those who keep driving tend to win in the end. And if not this time, the next time.

In a past life I had the opportunity to have a beer or three with some Navy SEALs. I asked one of the guys what it was that most outsiders don’t understand about becoming a SEAL. He said that it’s not the biggest, baddest, most athletic that make it—it’s the wiry little guys who never ever quit, no matter how cold, tired, hungry, or beaten they may have been.

I didn’t have a dog in the fight but I have to agree. When OSU hit what should have been the final out of the series you can feel sorry for the pitcher. He points at the sky to indicate where the ball went but it has a sense of triumph to it. The ball falls among 3 Arkansas players and 2 pitches later (‘of course’ as Graff would say) they were tied. 2 batters later OSU is ahead by 2 and you could just sense they were done.
Victory is never permanent
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

OGSB wrote:
TUPF wrote:In my idle time I put together 10 words which for me epitomize whether one will be successful in anything one does. Right up near the top is perseverance. No matter the odds, the barriers to success, the unlikelihood of success, those who keep driving tend to win in the end. And if not this time, the next time.

I didn’t have a dog in the fight but I have to agree. When OSU hit what should have been the final out of the series you can feel sorry for the pitcher. He points at the sky to indicate where the ball went but it has a sense of triumph to it. The ball falls among 3 Arkansas players and 2 pitches later (‘of course’ as Graff would say) they were tied. 2 batters later OSU is ahead by 2 and you could just sense they were done.
Exactly, that's baseball. How many times have we seen similar outcomes? Tough to stomach, but it's baseball - from LL to the Pros.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Heh. Looking for something else I found this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48630&start=25#p662949
Victory is never permanent