High school football season is upon us

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

High school football season is upon us

Post by TUPF »

My officials association on the Maryland Eastern Shore (we officiate all games from the Delaware border to the tip of the Virginia spit near the Chesapeake Bay, all the way west to the Annapolis bridge) had its kickoff meeting last night.

The concern nationwide was a 4% drop in participation in 2016 and another 1% in 2017, so the trend is worrisome. We all know the reasons—parents worried about injury. Number of injuries stayed the same as in 2016, with fewer participants, so the injury rate is trending in the wrong direction. The number one phase of the game where injuries occur? Free kicks and scrimmage kicks.

So, the rules now give more penalty enforcement options on fouls during kicks to preclude a re-kick. When you hear talk about eliminating kicks altogether it’s fact based on injury rates on all levels of football. Watch closely on your Friday night games—preventing injury drives everything.

Speaking of safety, an official point of emphasis this year is also giving no slack on illegal equipment, illegal adornments, etc. Warnings during pregame and sitting out plays during game. Those “shorts” that some receivers and kickers have gotten away with in the past are no longer. Knee pads cannot be pulled up or the kid sits out a play. It’s not a penalty but it does require sitting out—do that a few times and kids/coaches will get the message.

New signal for illegal blind side block: both fists together at chest level—not preceded by personal foul signal.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: High school football season is upon us

Post by Poseidon »

TUPF wrote:My officials association on the Maryland Eastern Shore (we officiate all games from the Delaware border to the tip of the Virginia spit near the Chesapeake Bay, all the way west to the Annapolis bridge) had its kickoff meeting last night.

The concern nationwide was a 4% drop in participation in 2016 and another 1% in 2017, so the trend is worrisome. We all know the reasons—parents worried about injury. Number of injuries stayed the same as in 2016, with fewer participants, so the injury rate is trending in the wrong direction. The number one phase of the game where injuries occur? Free kicks and scrimmage kicks.

So, the rules now give more penalty enforcement options on fouls during kicks to preclude a re-kick. When you hear talk about eliminating kicks altogether it’s fact based on injury rates on all levels of football. Watch closely on your Friday night games—preventing injury drives everything.

Speaking of safety, an official point of emphasis this year is also giving no slack on illegal equipment, illegal adornments, etc. Warnings during pregame and sitting out plays during game. Those “shorts” that some receivers and kickers have gotten away with in the past are no longer. Knee pads cannot be pulled up or the kid sits out a play. It’s not a penalty but it does require sitting out—do that a few times and kids/coaches will get the message.

New signal for illegal blind side block: both fists together at chest level—not preceded by personal foul signal.
What is an illegal blindside block?
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote:
TUPF wrote:My officials association on the Maryland Eastern Shore (we officiate all games from the Delaware border to the tip of the Virginia spit near the Chesapeake Bay, all the way west to the Annapolis bridge) had its kickoff meeting last night.

Guessing either a new name for clipping or clipping above the waist
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

Guessing either a new name for clipping or clipping above the waist
\

I did superficial digging...

-High School version"The definition of a blindside block established by the committee is “a block against an opponent other than the runner, who does not see the blocker approaching,” and now results in a 15-yard penalty. ... h) A player who received a blindside block with forceful contact not initiated with open hands."

-NFL "A defenseless player who receives a block when the blocker is moving toward, or parallel to, his own end line and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side."

It's not clipping or block in the back. This is a pathetic rule for many reasons. I think this will be hard to enforce consistently and everyone will want it called all the time. Though it is to protect people, but people need to learn to protect themselves and have their head on swivel for blockers and not play oblivious to the field or with reckless abandon wanting officials to protect them. This will serve to penalize blockers the same way defenders are punished for hitting a QB who plays with reckless abandon or stands flimsily in the pocket as if he were in line at the grocery store and not in the middle of a football game.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Good work, Poseidon. In HS, the way to not get called for a blindside block is to make contact first with open hands (e.g., not leading with a forearm or fist) which of course means no blocking in the back or clipping.

This rule, which is a couple of years old, is to take away those old blind side slobber knockers that used to get oohs and aahs from the sidelines/stands. Include me in that chorus. Again remember that the most injuries occur nationwide during free kicks and scrimmage kicks, and the blindside block usually happens during a kick or punt return. Kids are so much bigger and faster now than even twenty years ago, its not close. It’s an attempt to get a handle on injuries before football goes the way of boxing.

I don’t make the rules, I only (try) to enforce them. 8)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:Good work, Poseidon. In HS, the way to not get called for a blindside block is to make contact first with open hands (e.g., not leading with a forearm or fist) which of course means no blocking in the back or clipping.

This rule, which is a couple of years old, is to take away those old blind side slobber knockers that used to get oohs and aahs from the sidelines/stands. Include me in that chorus. Again remember that the most injuries occur nationwide during free kicks and scrimmage kicks, and the blindside block usually happens during a kick or punt return. Kids are so much bigger and faster now than even twenty years ago, its not close. It’s an attempt to get a handle on injuries before football goes the way of boxing.

Well that's disappointing
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

TUPF wrote:Good work, Poseidon. In HS, the way to not get called for a blindside block is to make contact first with open hands (e.g., not leading with a forearm or fist) which of course means no blocking in the back or clipping.

I get where you are coming from. I can see the hazard there in high school. You can also argue that football isn't for everyone and coaches shouldn't play kids who don't know how to protect themselves. I still think that there is a "the officials are supposed to protect me" mentality that is now present in football that wasn't there 20+ years ago. That mentality is hard on officials because they can't protect anyone, they can only punish other players. Sometimes rules may serve to change the game protect players, but often they don't and just end up being lip service while providing a false sense of protection. Targeting is great example of that. I played 20 years ago and if you were a QB you had to be responsible for yourself. You worked to avoid hits, not dared the defense to hit you because they may be penalized for it. BTW when I played 20 years ago I was 6'4 240lbs...as a freshman TE/DE. I see kids today and I don't see bigger stronger ones. The game has moved towards speed not size. I had to quit in college because of injuries, a non-contact injury and a baseball caused injury. The big hits don't shred knees ankles etc.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Another group is hitting the practice fields- namely, the marching bands. The local band has 30+ hours of practice a week for two weeks in preparation for the first football game. Unlike football, which has limited number of hours, tyrannical band directors don't have such limitations.

Our local band placed 6th last year in the National championships in Indianapolis; the directors want to improve on this. their zealous desire approximates that of Captain Queeg (I asked the director who his "Ishmael" in the band was, and he commented he has lots of them).
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

And on turnovers.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:

I get where you are coming from. I can see the hazard there in high school. You can also argue that football isn't for everyone and coaches shouldn't play kids who don't know how to protect themselves. I still think that there is a "the officials are supposed to protect me" mentality that is now present in football that wasn't there 20+ years ago. That mentality is hard on officials because they can't protect anyone, they can only punish other players. Sometimes rules may serve to change the game protect players, but often they don't and just end up being lip service while providing a false sense of protection. Targeting is great example of that. I played 20 years ago and if you were a QB you had to be responsible for yourself. You worked to avoid hits, not dared the defense to hit you because they may be penalized for it. BTW when I played 20 years ago I was 6'4 240lbs...as a freshman TE/DE. I see kids today and I don't see bigger stronger ones. The game has moved towards speed not size. I had to quit in college because of injuries, a non-contact injury and a baseball caused injury. The big hits don't shred knees ankles etc.
It's not really knees and ankles that anyone is worried about.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

TUPF wrote:...
The concern nationwide was a 4% drop in participation in 2016 and another 1% in 2017, so the trend is worrisome. We all know the reasons—parents worried about injury. ...
Consequently, the rise in "e-sports." :lol:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:

And on turnovers.
Only interceptions
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

And on turnovers.
Only interceptions
No, fumbles (primarily downfield) as well.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

And on turnovers.
Only interceptions
See Kurt Warner and Brett Favre vs Saints D in the Super Bowl season
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

So is the injury rate REALLY going up or are more injuries, especially concussions, being reported? How many times have we heard that 20, 30, 50 years ago, most concussions went unreported. Probably not but in the last 5-10 years do we have an actual, more realistic reporting of concussions, which then inevitably leads to less participation as in the case of my oldest son.

My youngest is still playing, and I encourage it, and feel the rules and attention to safety make it safer for him to play than ever before.
Bring home da Wave!
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Since I live right around the corner from Holy Cross School, I don't need to be be told when the high school football season is approaching. The football team and band start their practices sharply @ 7AM during and preparing for football season. Therefore we have a daily alarm clock @ 7AM M-F this time of year. :roll: And also during Mardi Gras season when the band practices for their appearances in the parades.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

doncecco wrote:

So is the injury rate REALLY going up or are more injuries, especially concussions, being reported? How many times have we heard that 20, 30, 50 years ago, most concussions went unreported. Probably not but in the last 5-10 years do we have an actual, more realistic reporting of concussions, which then inevitably leads to less participation as in the case of my oldest son.

My youngest is still playing, and I encourage it, and feel the rules and attention to safety make it safer for him to play than ever before.
I would say both...players are bigger, stronger, and faster so it stands to reason that collisions are more impactful and cause more injuries. But obviously there's been a dramatic increase in awareness/reporting of concussions.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

First JV game today at 5:30pm and first HS game Friday at 6:30pm. It’s going to be a heat index of 104 for the JV game during sunlight. It’s going to be sporty.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TUPF wrote:First JV game today at 5:30pm and first HS game Friday at 6:30pm. It’s going to be a heat index of 104 for the JV game during sunlight. It’s going to be sporty.
I hate 'heat index' - :evil2:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

sr wrote:
TUPF wrote:First JV game today at 5:30pm and first HS game Friday at 6:30pm. It’s going to be a heat index of 104 for the JV game during sunlight. It’s going to be sporty.
Apparently the HS sports federation for Virginia does too. Today’s JV game was just canceled by the visiting Virginia team. They must have some sort of hard and fast tripwire for heat index. I guess the Marine Base at Quantico is flying the black flag today.

It’s all relative. Today’s local heat index would be just another August day in New Orleans.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Local news this morning had a prerecorded national story about a lawmaker in Rhode Island who wants to move school back a couple of weeks because it's too hot for the kids to stand at the bus stop for a few minutes. At like 7 or 8 in the morning. In the northeast.

Even the local news anchor, after the story ended, was shaking his head incredulously. "Somehow... I think those kids will be okay for a few minutes."
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:
Apparently the HS sports federation for Virginia does too. Today’s JV game was just canceled by the visiting Virginia team. They must have some sort of hard and fast tripwire for heat index. I guess the Marine Base at Quantico is flying the black flag today.

It’s all relative. Today’s local heat index would be just another August day in New Orleans.
So what you're saying is need need Virginia or Virginia Tech in Yulman for a season opener..... :twisted:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

GretnaGrn wrote:
TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:

So what you're saying is need need Virginia or Virginia Tech in Yulman for a season opener..... :twisted:
Virginia has a bunch of DI programs we also could book; VMI, Richmond, William & Mary, James Madison, several HBCUs!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Last regular season high school football games under the lights tonight on the Maryland Eastern Shore. Unfortunately my officiating crew drew a winless team at 0-9 visiting a 2-7 team with a history of bad blood between the two. We will call it tight in the beginning to avert problems between the two like last year, which included a fight and three ejections.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:Last regular season high school football games under the lights tonight on the Maryland Eastern Shore. Unfortunately my officiating crew drew a winless team at 0-9 visiting a 2-7 team with a history of bad blood between the two. We will call it tight in the beginning to avert problems between the two like last year, which included a fight and three ejections.
Have fun with that.
#cousins don't count