Matt Canada named Maryland’s interim coach

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Matt Canada named Maryland’s interim coach

Post by OGSB »

I didn’t even know trouble was brewing there

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018 ... rim_c.html
Victory is never permanent
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Matt Canada named Maryland’s interim coach

Post by long green »

If he loses his job over this, DJ Durkin is the dumbest coach in America as he would be the 3rd Big 10 coach in about three or four years to lose his job via one of these "mean coach" scandals, Tim Beckman and Kevin Wilson preceding him.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Maryland is having a press conference now and it doesn’t look like Durkin will get fired now (at this time).
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

long green wrote:Maryland is having a press conference now and it doesn’t look like Durkin will get fired now (at this time).
Strength and Conditioning Coach fired. Presumably for making people run too much (aren't they all?). Durkin remains suspended indefinitely while investigation continues.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

long green wrote:If he loses his job over this, DJ Durkin is the dumbest coach in America as he would be the 3rd Big 10 coach in about three or four years to lose his job via one of these "mean coach" scandals, Tim Beckman and Kevin Wilson preceding him.
Didn’t Maryland have a death? May or may not be related but the school seems to be playing defense.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
long green wrote:If he loses his job over this, DJ Durkin is the dumbest coach in America as he would be the 3rd Big 10 coach in about three or four years to lose his job via one of these "mean coach" scandals, Tim Beckman and Kevin Wilson preceding him.
Didn’t Maryland have a death? May or may not be related but the school seems to be playing defense.
A kid died during conditioning
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Yes, and the "real" football staff can have only limited contact with the players during this conditioning, so Durkin has some daylight.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
A kid died during conditioning
Obviously I have not been keeping tabs, even though I now live in Maryland.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

WSJ article today that basically says off season conditioning regimes in CFB causes more fatalities than playing the sport.

I know it's behind a paywall but a real good read.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/strength-c ... lead_pos11
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Report: Maryland coach, AD, president expected to be fired :

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... spartanntp
Victory is never permanent
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

If this goes through it’s going to start a stampede from the Maryland football roster that could even start before this season. It will gouge a hole on the squad that under existing rules will take Maryland’s new coach years to fill in a division they can’t handle at full strength.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

GreenieBacker wrote:Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
Google translate is my friend. Where's that from?

Edit: Nevermind, Google search is also my friend. Interesting history.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
Google translate is my friend. Where's that from?
Arnaud Amaury (Latin: Arnoldus Amalricus; died 1225) was a Cistercian abbot who played a prominent role in the Albigensian Crusade. He is remembered for purportedly advising a soldier who was worried about killing Catholics instead of just heretical Cathars, prior to the sack of Béziers, to simply "kill everyone, as God would sort it all out later."*

GB may have made the post of the year here. Never get in the way of a mob that wants to burn the heretics.

* from Wikipedia: I ain't that educated but I did add the quotation marks because it is a rough translation. Literally second part I think translates something like "God will find his own."
Last edited by Baywave1 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

IF this does occur, besides the massive irony about Canada's status (who forever will now be grateful to ED O and LSU for "screwing" him), I expect it will put the presidents back in the driver's seat at some of these football crazy schools.

It's one thing to not get in the way of the all powerful football HC, it's totally another to lose your job over it. These guys like being university presidents.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

under the mantle of "Those with Institutional Control", you can pile up the bodies as high as you like. Fire them all and let the next employer search in the rubble for true responsibility.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:IF this does occur, besides the massive irony about Canada's status (who forever will now be grateful to ED O and LSU for "screwing" him), I expect it will put the presidents back in the driver's seat at some of these football crazy schools.

It's one thing to not get in the way of the all powerful football HC, it's totally another to lose your job over it. These guys like being university presidents.
The guy at OSU (Gee?) losing his job didn't seem to derail things at all.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:IF this does occur, besides the massive irony about Canada's status (who forever will now be grateful to ED O and LSU for "screwing" him), I expect it will put the presidents back in the driver's seat at some of these football crazy schools.

The guy at OSU (Gee?) losing his job didn't seem to derail things at all.
E. Gordon Gee (who I always wanted to call G. Gordon Liddy). He's now president of WVU, a step down academically but still a nice gig I'm betting.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Gee landed on his feet. A very talented and experienced bureaucrat used to playing tough inside.

Let's go with a closer analogous situation.

Kelly had the stroke to torpedo MBB after the game fixing and shoebox scandals.

Cowen whiffed on making Tulane Div III in the "Magnolia League."

If it were 2003 again and Tulane's facts then were UM's facts today, come September 2004, it would have been our new HC telling the team, "Boys we open the season at Sewanee, then on to the Chicago Maroons before our first home game against Case Western where Dr. Cowen will receive an honorary doctorate on the fifty yard line at halftime before a crowd of 100 parents and 400 employees from Gibson Hall."
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:Gee landed on his feet.
They always do.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Prehistoric college football coaches are killing players. It’s past time to stop them

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/c ... abca41f7aa

article is behind a pay wall but this stat was free to read and pretty startling

Heat didn’t kill Jordan McNair. The excesses of coach DJ Durkin and his staff did. An NFL player hasn’t died from heat exertion in 17 years. You know how many kids NCAA football coaches have killed with conditioning drills in that same period? Twenty-seven.

which is a bit misleading since there are so many more college football players than NFL players making the pool much bigger, still...........
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Was able to get past the paywall. Well written and much needed article.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

GreenieBacker wrote:Prehistoric college football coaches are killing players. It’s past time to stop them

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/c ... abca41f7aa

article is behind a pay wall but this stat was free to read and pretty startling

Heat didn’t kill Jordan McNair. The excesses of coach DJ Durkin and his staff did. An NFL player hasn’t died from heat exertion in 17 years. You know how many kids NCAA football coaches have killed with conditioning drills in that same period? Twenty-seven.

which is a bit misleading since there are so many more college football players than NFL players making the pool much bigger, still...........
More likely is the fact that the physical testing of pro athletes to determine previously-unknown health conditions, as well as the level of knowledge and simple "attention to what's happening" by medical and conditioning professionals at the NFL level, is MUCH greater than that in college. While I'm sure things have advanced in the past quarter century, when I played basketball we had a "stress test" (running on a treadmill with a breathing tube and electrodes all over us until we literally called it quits) when I was a JUNIOR. For two years before that, if I'd had a congenital issue (heart, lungs, spine, brain, whatever), the conditioning would have killed me and Tulane would have had no idea why (or what they could have done to prevent it) until my autopsy. I have to assume they are more diligent about this today, from the minute you arrive... But nowhere near what a prospective NFL draftee or free agent goes through before participating in anything for which a wrongful death suit could later be brought.

If a player shows signs of an issue in an NFL practice, there's likely someone knowledgeable enough to spot it watching him. That's a multi-million dollar investment, so they'd better be watching. If a college player is struggling, he better be lucky enough that one of the few student trainers isn't too busy filling water bottles and notices him amongst the 100 others on the field. Plus, do pros even condition that much in practice? I'd think they are expected to take care of the conditioning themselves, and report in shape... And most of them work out with a personal trainer who is acutely in touch with their physical limits as well as any health conditions. There's also the simple fact that a 23 year old NFL athlete is more attuned to his own body than an 18 year old kid who might never have had truly-serious conditioning in his life, so he's more likely to know when to stop or tell someone that something isn't right. .
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Then the safeguards should be greater in college for just that reason.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

GreenieBacker wrote:Then the safeguards should be greater in college for just that reason.
And more stringent in HS and then even more stringent for grade school and then a complete bubble for those too young to play football
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count