Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:05 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24820
Location: New Orleans
OK, time to begin the hard work of bad predictions for this season.

My pick this year is Arizona. I expect them not to win their conference but to be solid and possibly win their division. UCLA is a year away under Kelly and I don’t trust USC’s coach (nor do any USC fans). Arizona has the most exciting player in the PAC 12, a manageable non-con slate, five home conference games, and they avoid the two best teams in the other division (UW & Stanford). If Sumlin was not the greatest hire he is not some left-field weirdness like the hire made by UA’s in-state rival. Sumlin has a track record of doing well with inherited QB’s so there you go.

I would nominate Arkansas as a hedge pick. They also have a slightly softer schedule and bring back a lot of good players. I also like that they will be doing something similar to what worked for them under Bobby Petrino as opposed to being unable to recruit a defense that can make a power running offense stand up.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:52 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7018
Location: Charlotte
going to be hard to argue with Arizona for all of the reasons you mention

not sure it's going to be a "surprise" but Kiffin is going to steamroll CUSA this year

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:03 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2497
Location: Baton Rouge
Iowa. Always a good bet. Beyond that what exactly do you mean by surprise team. Surprise top 10 team, playoff team, conference champs, or just big turnaround going from loser to winner?

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:13 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24820
Location: New Orleans
Poseidon wrote:
Iowa. Always a good bet. Beyond that what exactly do you mean by surprise team. Surprise top 10 team, playoff team, conference champs, or just big turnaround going from loser to winner?


It's a subjective topic, so subject away.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:28 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2497
Location: Baton Rouge
long green wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Iowa. Always a good bet. Beyond that what exactly do you mean by surprise team. Surprise top 10 team, playoff team, conference champs, or just big turnaround going from loser to winner?


It's a subjective topic, so subject away.


Big Ten:1/4 Years Iowa surprises. They are due.
ACC: Duke, will finish 2nd in their Divison behind Miami and have one big upset.
Big 12: TTU. will have a top 4 finish in the big 12 and a big upset.
PAC 12: UCLA. will win the South.
SEC: Ole Miss. They will win 8 games and upset a top 15 team.
AAC: Memphis. They will run the table or finish with just one loss.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Last edited by Poseidon on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:39 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 30621
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
Of course, I'll stick with an undefeated Tulane, for now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:51 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7068
Location: Wisconsin
long green wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Iowa. Always a good bet. Beyond that what exactly do you mean by surprise team. Surprise top 10 team, playoff team, conference champs, or just big turnaround going from loser to winner?


It's a subjective topic, so subject away.

I'm thinking Nebraska !!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:06 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2604
Location: Greeneville, TN
TTU is a bold pick Poseidon. I don't see it, so it would certainly surprise me. I would believe Memphis with one loss before that one.

Mississippi St. will be really good this year. Wouldn't shock me to see them beat Bama. I'll take North Carolina to make a bowl as a surprise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:22 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8355
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
Roller wrote:
Of course, I'll stick with an undefeated Tulane, for now.


Well, to start off, this selection is not a surprise. And while Tulane is undefeated (and winless also...see the following) as of now, so is everyone else. And since we're talking of surprises, well, a suprise would also include teams that move into a surprise in the opposite direction. So, I'll give y'all a my (non) surprise in honor of Roller's choice. LSU...2-10 would be a pleasent surprise for the school upriver. Oh wait, in honor of Roller's choice I guess I better go all the way . 0-12. :roll:

Fan since '54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:16 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2497
Location: Baton Rouge
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
TTU is a bold pick Poseidon. I don't see it, so it would certainly surprise me. I would believe Memphis with one loss before that one.

Mississippi St. will be really good this year. Wouldn't shock me to see them beat Bama. I'll take North Carolina to make a bowl as a surprise.


Reading my post again, it was misleading. I meant top 4 finish in Big 12, not overall. I will edit that. That said I think a top 4 finish in the big 12 would still be a surprise.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:48 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2604
Location: Greeneville, TN
Poseidon wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
TTU is a bold pick Poseidon. I don't see it, so it would certainly surprise me. I would believe Memphis with one loss before that one.

Mississippi St. will be really good this year. Wouldn't shock me to see them beat Bama. I'll take North Carolina to make a bowl as a surprise.


Reading my post again, it was misleading. I meant top 4 finish in Big 12, not overall. I will edit that. That said I think a top 4 finish in the big 12 would still be a surprise.


That's how I took it. I didn't think you meant top 4 nationally. I agree, that would be a big surprise and would certainly move Kingsbury off the hot seat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:46 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24820
Location: New Orleans
Poseidon wrote:
long green wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Iowa. Always a good bet. Beyond that what exactly do you mean by surprise team. Surprise top 10 team, playoff team, conference champs, or just big turnaround going from loser to winner?


It's a subjective topic, so subject away.


Big Ten:1/4 Years Iowa surprises. They are due.
ACC: Duke, will finish 2nd in their Divison behind Miami and have one big upset.
Big 12: TTU. will have a top 4 finish in the big 12 and a big upset.
PAC 12: UCLA. will win the South.
SEC: Ole Miss. They will win 8 games and upset a top 15 team.
AAC: Memphis. They will run the table or finish with just one loss.


Iowa does have an experienced QB so they could surprise people.
Duke also has a veteran QB but I think 2nd is ambitious.
UCLA’s new QB would have to be a blockbuster for them to win the South, IMO.
TTech and Ole Miss play each other in the opener so the loser will be up against it early. Ole Miss is more settled at QB and has a killer set of starting WR’s.
Memphis has the schedule to run the table if the QB is good but I can’t see them repeating last year’s production and execution.

Daring picks, all told.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:50 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2497
Location: Baton Rouge
long green wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
long green wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Iowa. Always a good bet. Beyond that what exactly do you mean by surprise team. Surprise top 10 team, playoff team, conference champs, or just big turnaround going from loser to winner?


It's a subjective topic, so subject away.


Big Ten:1/4 Years Iowa surprises. They are due.
ACC: Duke, will finish 2nd in their Divison behind Miami and have one big upset.
Big 12: TTU. will have a top 4 finish in the big 12 and a big upset.
PAC 12: UCLA. will win the South.
SEC: Ole Miss. They will win 8 games and upset a top 15 team.
AAC: Memphis. They will run the table or finish with just one loss.


Iowa does have an experienced QB so they could surprise people.
Duke also has a veteran QB but I think 2nd is ambitious.
UCLA’s new QB would have to be a blockbuster for them to win the South, IMO.
TTech and Ole Miss play each other in the opener so the loser will be up against it early. Ole Miss is more settled at QB and has a killer set of starting WR’s.
Memphis has the schedule to run the table if the QB is good but I can’t see them repeating last year’s production and execution.

Daring picks, all told.


So LG, do put put much stock in having a good QB?

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:54 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24820
Location: New Orleans
Some teams surprise without an experienced, productive starter, but yeah. :lol:

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:22 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 30621
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
Fan Since '54 wrote:
Roller wrote:
Of course, I'll stick with an undefeated Tulane, for now.


Well, to start off, this selection is not a surprise. And while Tulane is undefeated (and winless also...see the following) as of now, so is everyone else. And since we're talking of surprises, well, a suprise would also include teams that move into a surprise in the opposite direction. So, I'll give y'all a my (non) surprise in honor of Roller's choice. LSU...2-10 would be a pleasent surprise for the school upriver. Oh wait, in honor of Roller's choice I guess I better go all the way . 0-12. :roll:

Fan since '54
And then, I could die happy!
:-D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:44 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 5686
Location: Omnipresent
Mississippi State has the most talented roster they've ever had and a very smart offensive minded HC that will utilize it well. There's room to move up in the SEC West this year that has been hard to come by in recent years.

_________________
Banks was in.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:10 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24820
Location: New Orleans
Boom! Can I pick them or what?

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:57 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20172
Location: Chicago
long green wrote:
Boom! Can I pick them or what?


Duke?

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:14 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 14039
windywave wrote:
long green wrote:
Boom! Can I pick them or what?


Duke?


Arizona? So pink it didn’t have to be pink

_________________
The time for talking ended in August


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20172
Location: Chicago
OGSB wrote:
windywave wrote:
long green wrote:
Boom! Can I pick them or what?


Duke?


Arizona? So pink it didn’t have to be pink


Duke isn't pink, they won today

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:34 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 14039
windywave wrote:
OGSB wrote:
windywave wrote:
long green wrote:
Boom! Can I pick them or what?


Duke?


Arizona? So pink it didn’t have to be pink


Duke isn't pink, they won today


But he started the thread saying his pick for biggest surprise is Arizona. They’re 0-2 and were never in the game with Houston.

_________________
The time for talking ended in August


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:56 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2604
Location: Greeneville, TN
I said UNC would make a bowl. Oops


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:30 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8355
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
Well, no one picked Boston College. But right now they are 3-0 while having scored 158 (52.7 ppg) and giving up 69 (23.0 ppg). Their schedule hasn't exactly been a murderers row, but at this point in time I give them the nod. But as we all know, " It's not how you drive, it's how you arrive".

Fan since '54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:24 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 14039
Only 2 games in but...

College football insider: With Herm Edwards and Arizona State, the joke's on us

_________________
The time for talking ended in August


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sr and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group