Babycakes headed to Kansas

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: Babycakes headed to Kansas

Post by Poseidon »

GretnaGrn wrote:
long green wrote:If they dropped the name and just had AA baseball it would be cool.
YES.
Is there any allure of having the same name as your affiliate MLB team anymore?
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:If they dropped the name and just had AA baseball it would be cool.
Better prospects in AA anyway
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

If issue is lack of attendance (which is almost certainly so), I don't see it changing even if bar is lowered for AA team with less operating costs. So I don't know how long we will have minor league baseball of any type unless Gayle Benson or her twin comes to the rescue again.

Going to Cakes games allowed one to sit literally yards away from the action to see very good baseball talent in a close view. AAA ball is like going to a WEB.com tourney (or Champions if you prefer) where you get to see very good golfers intimately. At the Shrine, you're watching excellently played baseball without having to fight a crowd. Plus the vast majority play very hard and give maximum effort again for obvious reasons trying to climb that greasy pole to MLB.

I hate the team and the park names too but I'll miss the players if and when the Cakes move.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Baywave1 wrote:If issue is lack of attendance (which is almost certainly so), I don't see it changing even if bar is lowered for AA team with less operating costs. So I don't know how long we will have minor league baseball of any type unless Gayle Benson or her twin comes to the rescue again.

Going to Cakes games allowed one to sit literally yards away from the action to see very good baseball talent in a close view. AAA ball is like going to a WEB.com tourney (or Champions if you prefer) where you get to see very good golfers intimately. At the Shrine, you're watching excellently played baseball without having to fight a crowd. Plus the vast majority play very hard and give maximum effort again for obvious reasons trying to climb that greasy pole to MLB.

I hate the team and the park names too but I'll miss the players if and when the Cakes move.
Apparently travel costs is the big concern. Right now, lots of west coast trips. The potential new league is in Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, and Tennessee.
Victory is never permanent
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Travel costs matter. AAA ball is now a plane league. AA ball is almost exclusively a bus league.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

The bar has been set for team names: Rocket City Trash Pandas
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

OGSB wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:If issue is lack of attendance (which is almost certainly so), I don't see it changing even if bar is lowered for AA team with less operating costs. So I don't know how long we will have minor league baseball of any type unless Gayle Benson or her twin comes to the rescue again.

Apparently travel costs is the big concern. Right now, lots of west coast trips. The potential new league is in Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, and Tennessee.
This. It's a big chunk of the bottom line.

Worth noting the attendance plunge came directly after the name change. No major issues prior to that. I can say that the crowds last weekend were very small, and the vast majority of the concessions were not open.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

https://articles.nola.com/opinions/inde ... eaving.amp

Savage letter to the TP. Comments section is hilarious (as usual). Interesting idea that the new owners changed the name to a purposely awful name to kill the team.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Even to this uninterested non-resident, when the name changed to 'Baby Cakes' there were alien forces at work here to sabotage the team and render them an also ran (no matter what the record) on the New Orleans sports scene. Really, Baby Cakes …. Of all the names that could have been selected for a team playing in New Orleans/Jefferson Parish - just so obviously totally ridicules. You want to kill a team name it Baby Cakes …. just saying.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
Victory is never permanent
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

Bye! I NEVER did buy in to that Baby Cakes nickname from the beginning. They did it to bump up merchandise sales, but most of the fans did not like the B-Cakes thing. The Zephyrs nickname was fine as it was.
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

IM42lane wrote: Bye! I NEVER did buy in to that Baby Cakes nickname from the beginning. They did it to bump up merchandise sales, but most of the fans did not like the B-Cakes thing. The Zephyrs nickname was fine as it was.
You have to choose bold on purpose