Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Ryder Cup...2018
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:06 pm 
Regent's Circle

Any golf fans out there? I'm sure there are. This competition pits a team of US golfers against a team of golfers from Europe and is held on the even numbered years in courses in the USA and Europe. For me this is my third favorite golf tournament, behind the USA Open and the Masters. It is a 3 day event (Fri, Sat, Sun). I just love the way they contest it. Team golf, not every man for himself. And since it is in that format it envokes cheers from the gallery for the team as opposed to the invididual. And the cheers are more like what you would hear at a football game than a golf course. If you havn't ever watched this tourney, try tuning in. It grabs you in the pit of your stomach and doesn't let go until it concludes on Sunday.

FS'54

Post subject: Re: The Ryder Cup...2018
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:54 am 
Regent's Circle

I am going to be watching. Since I spent a year in training in Augusta, Georgia, golf seemed to be a part of my education. We had lunch at the Green Jacket restaurant on Washington Ave. The end of the year dinner was held at Augusta Country Club, where the fairway of one hole runs a few yards behind the 13th tee box on Augusta National.

Furyk has certainly changed some pairings around from the past; I am a bit concerned that several that have been incredibly successful have been split up this year. I saw that Reed and Woods are paired together; I have sources who speak about certain players' personalities, and this could be a two peas in a pod sort of combination.

The chess game between Furyk and Bjorn will be interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:47 am 
Regent's Circle

USA is getting pounded today in the "four-ball" competition today (although it is probably over because ot the time differential) I am watching the replay. CAN'T MAKE A PUTT...3 makable putts were missed already to halve the hole. :roll:

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:05 pm 
Regent's Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote:
USA is getting pounded today in the "four-ball" competition today (although it is probably over because ot the time differential) I am watching the replay. CAN'T MAKE A PUTT...3 makable putts were missed already to halve the hole. :roll:

Fan since '54

It's almost as if there's some sort of bad juju surrounding them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:24 pm 
Regent's Circle

I was saying during the foursomes that Furyk was a genius for pairing together the two guys everyone hates.. Woods and Reed. I'm wondering if their gagging away from being up by 3 through 10, AS through 14 to a 3 and 1 loss had anything to do with them being left out of the afternoon grouping?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:39 am 
Regent's Circle

Well, that was pretty much like a "walk in the park" for the European team. Simply crushed the Americans. The putting on those greens was apparently more difficult than it appeared to be on TV. Didn't see any that had any overwhelming break, yet there were many that just squeaked the hole, for both teams, but more so for the Americans

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:55 am 
Emerald Circle

Tiger and Phil got zero points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:17 am 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
Tiger and Phil got zero points

Yea I know. We might expect more from those two, but it was a bust having them on the team at this point in their careers. But I don't think it mattered, the Euro team was simply the better team.

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:57 am 
Regent's Circle

Just found out this AM that a lady watching the tournament got hit in her right eye by a drive that went into the gallery. She has lost her sight in the eye and she could have been killed had the drive hit just a little from where it actually struck her. The blame in this incident goes to the tournament officials who should not have allowed the gallery to stand where they were on that hole.

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/spor ... 5J981nqrM/

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:13 pm 
Regent's Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote:
Just found out this AM that a lady watching the tournament got hit in her right eye by a drive that went into the gallery. She has lost her sight in the eye and she could have been killed had the drive hit just a little from where it actually struck her. The blame in this incident goes to the tournament officials who should not have allowed the gallery to stand where they were on that hole.

Fan since '54

are you kidding me? Back of the tickets says "you may get hit with a golf ball"... people yelled "FORE".. if the gallery had been held further away from play, there would have been hideous howling by the fans. Nobody is at fault here.. she willfully stood where she was, as did hundreds of other fans.. she was warned both before she stepped on the course and when they yelled "FORE" MULTIPLE TIMES!!

The PGA would be doing her a favor to offer to pay some of her medical expenses.. but if she goes to court, she loses in a huge way should the PGA not be in the mood to settle. I'm sorry she's in such a predicament... nobody deserves to lose an eye watching a sport... but don't try to blame people when the entire incident was a freak accident.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54

are you kidding me? Back of the tickets says "you may get hit with a golf ball"... people yelled "FORE".. if the gallery had been held further away from play, there would have been hideous howling by the fans. Nobody is at fault here.. she willfully stood where she was, as did hundreds of other fans.. she was warned both before she stepped on the course and when they yelled "FORE" MULTIPLE TIMES!!

The PGA would be doing her a favor to offer to pay some of her medical expenses.. but if she goes to court, she loses in a huge way should the PGA not be in the mood to settle. I'm sorry she's in such a predicament... nobody deserves to lose an eye watching a sport... but don't try to blame people when the entire incident was a freak accident.

What he said but a little less passionately