Let's drop the puck...NHL'18-'19 season begins tonight

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Let's drop the puck...NHL'18-'19 season begins tonight

Post by Fan Since '54 »

The NHL begins the regular '18-'19 season tonight as the Washington Capitals host the Boston Bruins and raise their '17-'18 Stanley Cup banner. There have been quite a few marquee players switch teams during the off seson, most notably John Tavares moving from the Iles to the Leafs and Eric Karllson going from the Sens to the Sharks. Can the Vegas Golden Knights improve on their unbelievable inagural season. They only have one more rung to climb as they lost in the Stanley Cup finals to the Caps.

There's only one cup but here's hoping whichever team you may root for has a successful season even if they don't raise it when the season ends in June of '19.

Whatever, it's gonna be fun, so join in on the conversation.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Last edited by Fan Since '54 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Let's drop the puck...NHL'18-'19 season begins tonight

Post by gerryb323 »

Some day you'll get "marquee" right :mrgreen:
Go Bruins!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Hawks will surprise people this year
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

gerryb323 wrote:Some day you'll get "marquee" right :mrgreen:
Go Bruins!
Perhaps the players are nobility?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

MattK wrote:
Go Bruins!
All descendants of the Marquis de Lafayette.

I'll drop my obligatory, Go Preds! Would love to see a Stanley Cup come to Tennessee (no matter how much it'll make Windy cry blasphemy).
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

MattK wrote:
Go Bruins!
Like the Kings and Knights?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Go Bruins!
Yea, I know. :oops: But I have fixed it...until next time. :roll:

BTW, in a long long time ago, in a faraway place I used to be a Bruins fan. Then back in '75 I discovered I could actually listen to the Pens games via KDKA (a 50k flamethrower, but only after the sun went down) and I so enjoyed Mike Lange's catchphrases, that I became a Pens fan, along with the fact that my best friend ever had moved to DaBurgh and he and I could go to Pens games whenever I visited him. Then he went away in '84 @ 37. But I stuck with the Pens and I still try to go to games up there at least once a year. I have been rewarded with 5 cups since then, so I guess that played out well for me.

Addendum: I went up to visit that friend in '75 and we went to the TU/West Virginia football game in Morgantown (about an hour or so south of Pittsburgh) where Tulane prevailed. And someone named Tommy Bowden played for WVA that day. :!:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Boston facing a no win scenario tonight in DC... tough to win a game in the barn of a team raising the Cup Banner. Only hope is the Caps aren't gelling with the new coach, yet.

I know Bruce Cassidy is a great coach for young guys, but I'm a bit flummoxed by some of his cuts based on how well some of the kids played in the preseason. Jacob Forsbacka-Karlsson was a monster and had instant chemistry with David Backes (who needs to have at least 10 in the net by December or he's going to get Matt Beleskey'ed out of town. Guys like Lee Stempniak and Jaokim Nordstrom somehow managed to snag a couple of roster spots from some bright youngsters... they're going to have to produce early, as well.

Boston will do their typical crappy October and then start to heat up in mid November. With Tampa and Toronto in the division, that slow start could mean 3rd place, though.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:Hawks will surprise people this year
Not if Cam Ward has to start more than 30 games.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
MattK wrote:
Go Bruins!

I'll drop my obligatory, Go Preds! Would love to see a Stanley Cup come to Tennessee (no matter how much it'll make Windy cry blasphemy).
No problem with "Go Preds". Never be embarrassed to cheer for your team. It is your right, and hopefully a lot of fun more times than not. My small family unit (3) went to Nashville in Oct '15 and for the next couple of years they played at the end of October in Smashville. I loved it when we went because the leaves were changing once we passed into northern AL and into TN. And Nashville is a really great town. But this year the Pens are playing the Preds in March, so no trip there again this year. Cruising NE & the Canadian Maritimes 10/14 > 10/21, with a couple of days on the front end in Boston. And if the Red Sox make it to the ALCS it is going to be crazy then in Beantown because the Sox are the highest seed in the AL and games there would be in Fenway on 10/12 & 10/13. Guess I better bring my Yankee hat...or not. :roll:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Johnny Mac wrote:Boston facing a no win scenario tonight in DC... tough to win a game in the barn of a team raising the Cup Banner. Only hope is the Caps aren't gelling with the new coach, yet.

I know Bruce Cassidy is a great coach for young guys, but I'm a bit flummoxed by some of his cuts based on how well some of the kids played in the preseason. Jacob Forsbacka-Karlsson was a monster and had instant chemistry with David Backes (who needs to have at least 10 in the net by December or he's going to get Matt Beleskey'ed out of town. Guys like Lee Stempniak and Jaokim Nordstrom somehow managed to snag a couple of roster spots from some bright youngsters... they're going to have to produce early, as well.

Boston will do their typical crappy October and then start to heat up in mid November. With Tampa and Toronto in the division, that slow start could mean 3rd place, though.
Bolded not necessarily true. Pens have won 5 cups but never won on banner raising night. Go figure.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
MattK wrote:
Go Bruins!

No problem with "Go Preds". Never be embarrassed to cheer for your team. It is your right, and hopefully a lot of fun more times than not. My small family unit (3) went to Nashville in Oct '15 and for the next couple of years they played at the end of October in Smashville. I loved it when we went because the leaves were changing once we passed into northern AL and into TN. And Nashville is a really great town. But this year the Pens are playing the Preds in March, so no trip there again this year. Cruising NE & the Canadian Maritimes 10/14 > 10/21, with a couple of days on the front end in Boston. And if the Red Sox make it to the ALCS it is going to be crazy then in Beantown because the Sox are the highest seed in the AL and games there would be in Fenway on 10/12 & 10/13. Guess I better bring my Yankee hat...or not. :roll:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Well, since the Sox would have beaten the Yankees (or the A's beat them tonight), you'll be ok :)
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
MattK wrote:
Go Bruins!

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Crushing on the Maarsden?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:Boston facing a no win scenario tonight in DC... tough to win a game in the barn of a team raising the Cup Banner. Only hope is the Caps aren't gelling with the new coach, yet.

Bolded not necessarily true. Pens have won 5 cups but never won on banner raising night. Go figure.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
And it's 2-0 Caps, 5 minutes in. Boston is 0-9-3 in it's last 12 games against Washington
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Fan Since '54 wrote: And it's 2-0 Caps, 5 minutes in. Boston is 0-9-3 in it's last 12 games against Washington
Told you Boston had no chance

And my question above should have said cruising on the Maarsden?
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

I did not watch any of the Caps banner raising. Was that POS Tom Wilson (with his 20 game suspension) allowed to take part in the banner raising ceremony?

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Fan Since '54 wrote:I did not watch any of the Caps banner raising. Was that POS Tom Wilson (with his 20 game suspension) allowed to take part in the banner raising ceremony?

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
I didn't see it either as my daughter was getting off the ice from her goalie clinic.. by the time I got to the tavern upstairs, it was 2 zip Caps.. my guess is he was in the press box
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote:I did not watch any of the Caps banner raising. Was that POS Tom Wilson (with his 20 game suspension) allowed to take part in the banner raising ceremony?

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
He was indeed.
And he's appealing his suspension, although on the NHL you apparently don't play during appeal
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

You can not play while you're on suspension. Anyway he knows he is going to be on suspension. He is a multiple offender. He is probably looking at shortening the length of the suspension.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote:You can not play while you're on suspension. Anyway he knows he is going to be on suspension. He is a multiple offender. He is probably looking at shortening the length of the suspension.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
In the NFL and MLB you can play while appealing suspensions
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Since you brought this up about the policies of the NFL & the NBA, I double checked and a player can not play while he is appealing a suspension.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Since you brought this up about the policies of the NFL & the NBA, I double checked and a player can not play while he is appealing a suspension.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
1. I said NFL and MLB.
2. I guess you can tell Tom Brady during Deflate-fiasco and the Saints players who played while their Starcaps suspension was pending that they didn't play. But they did.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

It probably depends what they were suspended for. Off field vs on field maybe?
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

I think Sidney Crosby said something to Connor McDavid last night. Like..."The Hart Trophy is gonna have my name on it for '18-'19".

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan