Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:59 pm 
Emerald Circle

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ex-rice-football-player-charged-in-opioid-death-of-lineman/ar-BBNZb2h?li=BBnba9I&ocid=spartanntp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:22 pm 
Regent's Circle

The drug he actually received contained carfentanil, which was originally made as an elephant tranquilizer and is so potent that a lethal dose could be invisible to the human eye.

Then how does one handle this ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:17 pm 
Emerald Circle

sr wrote:
The drug he actually received contained carfentanil, which was originally made as an elephant tranquilizer and is so potent that a lethal dose could be invisible to the human eye.

Then how does one handle this ...

Well, all cops wear rubber gloves, to start.

I don't know how bad the opioid epidemic had hit down there but the Midwest (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, WV) had been just crushed by it. It's really bad here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 pm 
Cornerstone

My Rheumatologist told me that without opioids, my osteoarthritis pain would always be a problem, The opioids wold make the pain go away, but I would become addicted, and might possibly need increasing dosages as I developed a tolerance.
The only alternative he could offer was Tylenol (taken strictly at manufacturer's dosage, to avoid liver damage), which only stops the pain a bit less than half the time (the 6 hour dosage stops the pain for only 2-3 hours).
I opted for the Stoic approach. For the past 15 years, I've lived with a lot of pain, but now I've kind of gotten used to it, so it doesn't interfere with my life.

I wish more people would try to make friends with their pain and leave the opioids alone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:19 am 
Emerald Circle

My Philadelphia condo is right downtown, six blocks from Constitution Hall and the Liberty Bell. We are near several access points to interstate highways and multiple underpass areas where a cadre of 20-something, mostly white male homeless people panhandle. The drug problem is well documented, as these mostly young men move from opioids to even cheaper and more readily available heroin.

Seeing the extreme example of drug addiction consequences has made me so reticent to take any potentially addictive drug that I would rather tough it out for a few days. A couple of years ago I made an ER visit for what turned out to be a gall bladder attack. Quite painful, feels like a collapsed lung or a heart attack. At the time I was in so much pain I would have removed my own gall bladder with a fork. IV morphine did nothing but this magic drug call dilaudid had me in la la land. It also scared the cr@p out of me because I thought...this is the high that a junkie craves. After a couple of days in the hospital I was released with some sort of opioid script but I refused to get it filled. I just sucked it up with OTC ibuprofen.

My hat’s off to you, Roller, and though difficult I fully understand. Plus, we are too old to live under a bridge with all the junkies. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:23 am 
Navigator Level

I have a similar stories. I was once prescribed Tylenol with codeine for something that was very minor, which was not surgery related. Jesus. I threw away the script. After surgery I remember cutting whatever pain meds I got into 4ths and that was that. Scares me too.

I really wish that the Medical and Athletic Training communities would embrace holistic and alternative therapies like Acupuncture and Myofacial therapy. My husband was a triathlete and he didn’t become a believer until I made him appointments. I literally felt like a brand new person, but since it’s usually not covered by insurance you have to pay out of pocket. I spent about $5k in the myofacial to recover from surgery and several k in acupuncture. But none of this involves pharmaceuticals. It’s just elevating our body’s natural ability to heal. But there’s no money in that for BigPharma so it’s curtailed through insurance obstacles.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:52 am 
President's Circle

De-criminalize cannabis and start saving lives.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:58 am 
President's Circle

wave-em in wrote:
De-criminalize cannabis and start saving lives.

Was going to say the same thing. This isn't political at this point, right? Just obstinacy?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:44 pm 
Regent's Circle

actually, as someone in the medical fields we have had discussions on this. There is a lot of data coming out of Europe that suggests cannabis is not without its warts. Pregnant women should not use cannabis due to increases in risks of significant mental health disorders, including (according to one study) a six-fold increased risk of schizophrenia in their children. Increases in psychotic disease, including schizophrenia, is seen in youths and adolescents who use cannabis.

We in medicine have seen that there are medical benefits seen in use of cannabinoids; however, smoking weed is akin to peeling off and chewing willow bark to get the salicylate (aspirin) out of it. I would personally want to find the specific substances that have medical benefit, isolate them, and get them available for rational use. In my specialty there are some studies on its benefits in certain disorders; however, I am not about to risk my medical license for advocating their use "off label."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

My sister is a stage 4 cencer warrior now in a Hail Mary clinical trial in California. She was prescribed “edibles” and unfortunately they were of little use at this point in her battle. Like plugging a levee with your finger. If as AOSig says the powerful kernel of cannabis were distilled into something more powerful it might be of use. The only good thing is that the munchie effect did improve her appetite a little because at this point any calories are good.